On Basilisk Station by David Weber

On Basilisk Station (original 1993; edition 2002)

by David Weber

Member:wwj
Title:On Basilisk Station
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2002), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Science Fiction
Tags:honorverse

On Basilisk Station by David Weber (1993)

The Honor of the Queen by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in the series
    Captain Horatio Hornblower by C. S. Forester (miniwark)
    miniwark: To compare with the original
    Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (ktoonen)
    The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (SunnySD)
    With the Lightnings by David Drake (ktoonen)
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (ktoonen)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For starship captains cutting through political crap.
    The Fuzzy Papers: Little Fuzzy & Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: Honor Harrington's first mission is protecting a world where native intelligence also resides
    One Jump Ahead by Mark L. Van Name (ktoonen)
    Death's Door - Where Right and Glory Lead by William DeSouza (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I loved this book - 1st in a series of great sci-fi reading.
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (ElementalDragon)
    Dead Reckoning by Jared Cheney Craig Cheney Jeffery Cheney (ClassicallyMinded)
    ClassicallyMinded: Very fast-paced and exciting. Compelling characters and a well thought out story.
    The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell (Dragget)
    Dragget: There are some differences, but both of these are good military SF. Tarnished Knight focuses more on the rulers as main characters while On Basilisk Station is about a ship commander implementing her government's policies. Both, however, focus the main characters' problem-solving and follow them as they rise to various military and diplomatic challenges.… (more)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (ktoonen, binarydude)

English (74)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (80)

Finally let’s talk about the misogyny because this book has it.

All because the plot is that shallow, that I took a few years break from reading it and still I was able to remember what was going on. That’s pretty sad.

Maverynthia | May 11, 2016 |
Space Misogyny This book isn’t good. I was told it was “Space Opera” but this is more like “Military Space Adventure”. Think Star Trek but with more guns death and jargon.Did I mention the jargon. If you aren’t into the military, or care about how big people’s guns are then this book will loose you quick with it’s “Falcon-Three-Three to Falcon-Two-One” and stuff like that which takes of pages and pages and offering nothing to the plot at all.It’s also very noisy. Everything usually has about five hundred words to describe what’s happened and most of this jargon is all pseudosciency that also adds nothing to the plot and muddies the image of what really going on.Finally let’s talk about the misogyny because this book has it. Starting off by describing Honor as “not pretty, but no really she’s pretty” all the way to her almost rape back story, she’s a rote “strong” female character. Of course there’s the male love interest that she always seems to need help from that he doesn’t trust her and all that jazz.The characters themselves are uninteresting and that’s mostly because Weber dumps a whole bucket of them on you before you have even warmed up to the one’s from the last bucket.Then there’s the part where Weber calls the ship a “bitch” and describes that it was “raped” when it’s armaments were reconfigured. That the part when I wanted to toss the book into a fire. unfortunately it was a library book and thus needed to be returned. Weber being a man, knows nothing about rape to begin with and to call an inanimate object a bitch and described how it was ‘raped’ by having some weapons removed is just sheer and utter cherry-on-top misogyny.I should probably also mention the psychic cat, but because it doesn’t add to the plot I’ll just ignore it. Really the furball could get sucked out an airlock and nothing of value would be lost on the plot...All because the plot is that shallow, that I took a few years break from reading it and  still I was able to remember what was going on. That’s pretty sad.NOT TO MENTION part of the plot involves invading a alien planet and drugging and slaughtering the native. WHAT. FUN. As if this book didn’t have that many problem. I almost want to say the Medusans are basically portrayed as First Nations and that their slaughter is more or less written off as necessary.The last battle is needlessly dragged out, with lots more gore and explosions than a Michael Bay movie aaand more misogyny abound here too. It seems that Weber loves to write women, just so he can horribly kill and torture them. Very unstisfying end to an unsatisfying book. ( )
  Maverynthia | May 11, 2016 |
Supposedly CS Forster set in space, this novel is more Mercedes Lackey. Honor Harrington is the new captain of an old warship. Within a few paragraphs of meeting her we're told she has a psychic connection with her alien cat, is beautiful and looks far younger than her age, graduated top of her class and is oh so much more sensible than any of her commanding officers. From then on, she's the bestest captain ever. All the good characters love and admire her, and all the bad characters hate her for being so smart and messing up their fiendish plans. There are a few paragraphs that aren't lavishing praise on Honor or showing how evil her enemies are. These paragraphs are meaningless infodumps. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
On Basilisk Station introduces Honor Harrington as she assumes command of the Royal Manticoran Navy's light cruiser HMS Fearless. The story is set 1900 years after mankind has left earth for other planets and centers on the Kingdom of Manticore and pressures from other star empires jealous of Manticore's wealth. The Manticoran system is prime cosmic real estate and attractive to others. Specifically the People's Republic of Haven, who are an expansive empire looking for additional conquests to keep their economy from imploding. Honor and her crew find themselves assigned to Basilisk Station, a star system that is the junction for several wormholes. Once at Basilisk, Honor finds the station and the system it protects, including the aboriginal world Medusa, run by a civilian Manticoran commissioner, in utter chaos.

There is much that is interesting in this book, including its first-rate execution of space opera adventure. Admittedly, in the first few chapters, things are slow moving. The author tries to give you too much unfamiliar information so at times you feel confused. But once things get rolling, you will really enjoy the story. The story development is well done, the level of detail is rich and the battle and action sequences are well described. Development is good for a number of characters, many of whom are also present in the following books of the Honor Harrington series. On Basilisk Station is a fast-paced naval story with political and military science fiction backdrop. If you enjoy naval stories or military science fiction, you might enjoy this one. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Honor's hit bottom -- and there's nowhere to go but up. The best of the epic space battles to the death, Honor's an officer we'd all love to follow.

There's a part of me that feels like On Basilisk Station is the utter best out of the entire Honorverse series, and that may be because I adore when a good universe is set up and worked within. I love the Honorverse, the death rides, the fantastic crews...but On Basilisk Station has it all: Honor overcoming terrible odds, somehow making everything work out by the skin of her teeth. I think it's the purest of the bunch, and I LOVE it.

I'm plowing on with the series. Again. I'd kind of vowed to not re-read this for a while until I'd gotten a few more books off my to-read list, which has reached a length that would take me years to catch up with. But here I am, reading it again, because my father let a tidbit from one of the new books drop. Wish me luck.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To C.S. Forester,
With thanks for hours of enjoyment,
years of inspiration,
and a lifetime of admiration.
The ticking of the conference room's antique clock was deafening as the Hereditary President of People's Republic of Haven stared at his military cabinet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743435710, Mass Market Paperback)

On Basilisk Station (or "HH1" as it's known to the faithful) is the first installment in David Weber's cult hit Honor Harrington series, which has charmed the socks off schoolgirls and sailors alike. Honor--the heroine of this fast-paced, addictive space opera--is a polished, plucky bulldog of a naval officer, part Horatio Hornblower, part Miles Vorkosigan, part Captain Janeway, and with a razor-clawed telepathic cat thrown over her shoulder for good measure.

The series' kickoff puts a giddy Commander Harrington at the helm of her first serious starship, the HMS Fearless. But her excitement quickly fades--political maneuvering by top brass in the Manticoran navy has left her light cruiser outfitted with a half-baked experimental weapons system. Against all odds (just the way Honor likes it), she still manages a clever coup in tactical war games, a feat that earns her accolades--and enemies. The politicians she's offended banish her to a galactic backwater, Basilisk Station. But that outpost soon proves to be a powder keg, and it's up to Harrington and the Fearless crew to thwart the aggressive plans of the Haven Republic. A perfect mix of military SF and high adventure--if you enjoy your tour, re-up with HH2, The Honor of the Queen. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

Having made him look the fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her. Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station. The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens. Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser and an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,000,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible