Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehret

Earthquake Terror

by Peg Kehret

Recently added bycransttl, TravisWager

After Jonathan's mom breaks her ankle on a family camping trip, Jonathan's parents head to the local hospital leaving Jonathan and his younger sister Abby (who cannot walk unassisted) to head back to their camper and wait for their parents to return. Before the two siblings make it back to the cabin an earthquake hits...soon the two of them are stranded in the middle of a forest with no food, water, or shelter and the island is slowly being submerged by the lake that once surrounded it.

This is an interesting survival story to pass on to kids who love the I Survive series, Stranded, or Wild River. It's not as heart thumping as the title word "Terror" would suggest, but there are definitely moments when you wonder just how they are going to get out of the mess they are in. ( )
  agrudzien | Jun 25, 2015 |
This was a Christmas present from my fifth-grade son Matt. Both his third-grade teacher and his fifth-grade teacher are Peg Kehret fans, and both of them read [Earthquake Terror] to their classes. This book is a great read-aloud book with lots of cliffhangers. Jonathan and his sister Abby are on a camping trip with their parents when their mother injures her ankle. Jonathan's parents decide to leave the kids behind so that they can get to a hospital quickly. And that's when the earthquake hits. And that's only Chapter 2.

Jonathan is resourceful. He faces a number of roadblocks (both figuratively and literally) and feels overwhelmed plenty of times. He has the help of his dog Moose and some unexpected help from his sister Abby, but will it be enough?

I love it when my kids want to share the books they love with me. My boys always seem to enjoy these types of adventure stories. ( )
  porch_reader | Jan 5, 2015 |
I read this book for school and I loved it! Totally recommend it! ( )
  luckybrandon100 | Sep 12, 2012 |
When an earthquake hits the isolated island in northern California where his family had been camping, twelve-year-old Jonathan Palmer must find a way to keep himself, his partially paralyzed younger sister, and their dog alive until help arrives.
  prkcs | Jul 27, 2011 |
Have you ever been in a big earthquake? Well, I have and it was the scariest day of my life. Hi my name is Jonathan Palmer and I’m twelve years old. This year my family decided to go on vacation to Magpie Island and everything was going so well, until my mom breaks her ankle in the water. My dad decided to drive my mom, back to the city, to the hospital, while me and my younger sister Abby which is six and my dog Moose walk back to the camper. That’s not a problem for me or Moose but it’s a problem for Abby, because she’s partly paralyzed, the way she got partly paralyzed was that she fell off a slide on her back when she was two. While we were walking back to the camper a huge earthquake hits. Trees are crashing down and the camper got destroyed, it ends up the island gets flooded with water and Abby can’t swim. If you want to find out if me Abby or Moose survive you have to read Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehret. ( )
  sasgrade4 | Nov 24, 2009 |

When Jonathan and his family go camping on Magpie Island, they look forward to a fun, relaxing weekend. But their fun quickly vanishes when Jonathan, his sister, Abby, and their dog, Moose, find themselves in the middle of a natural disaster. A devastating earthquake has hit, destroying their camper, knocking out the only bridge to the mainland, and leaving Jonathan, Abby, and their dog with no food, water, or shelter. Alone in the woods, can Jonathan manage to keep calm and save Abby and Moose—and stay alive himself?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,611,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible