The Aesop for Children by Aesop

The Aesop for Children (edition 1949)

by Aesop, Milo Winter (Illustrator)

One hundred twenty-six best-loved fables of Aesop.
Member:sullijo
Title:The Aesop for Children
Authors:Aesop
Other authors:Milo Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Cadmus Books, E. M. Hale and Company (1949), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 112 pages
Tags:@home, fiction, Mater Amabilis

The Aesop for Children by Milo Winter

Recently added bykoehnh, hrims, AnaBotello, jebh95, LindseyAlbers, StacyShields, racergirl76, private library, slfabric

This book is great for fluent readers traditional literature because of the fun pictures that are provided, and the size of the font in the story. The book is made like a picture book, but the vocabulary in the book is quite challenging along with the size of the book. This book also shows many different types of traditional tales, for example, The Frogs and the Ox, Belling the Cat, and The Bundle of Sticks. For children, it is important to understand traditional literature due to the history the literature has. There is 112 tall tales in this chapter book, with beautiful pictures. Not only does the book include the traditional tells, but the story includes the meaning of the story, which is very interesting. For example, in the story the Fisherman and the Fish, the fisherman caught a fish and the fish says, "put me back, I am too small, let me grow to be bigger so I can be a better meal," but the fisherman instead puts the fish in his basket and says, however small you be, you are better than nothing at all. At the bottom of the page it shows the lesson which his, A small gain is worth more than a large promise. Another good example of an important lesson that one of the stories taught was, A fool may deceive by his dress and appearance, but his words will soon show what he really is, which is the story of the Ass and the Lion. The pictures on the pages are also drawn with pretty water colors and are very entertaining for young people starting to read long books. ( )
  aedwar14 | Apr 5, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 22, 2017 |
Beautifully illustrated, with familiar tales from my childhood, this book should have been a sure winner with me.

It wasn't.

I found myself stopping my read to see how many pages were left.

I think there were just too many morality tales too similar to one another to make this enjoyable. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 11, 2017 |
I liked these but you can only read a few at a time! The illustrations by Milo Winter are wonderful. You can read this book online courtesy of the Library of Congress: http://www.read.gov/aesop/index.html

I was surprised by how many common aphorisms were from these fables! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 12, 2016 |
A big giant book of little giant fables and tales. A lesson learned in each story. One of my favorite books because it's so old and so simple. Another way of teaching the ins and outs of life to a young child. A staple in our culture, I know of these as a child. One of the things I would think about as messages is the overwhelming friendship between animals and humans and making that known. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 29, 2015 |
There was once a little Kid whose growing horns made him think he was a grown-up Billy Goat and able to take care of himself.
This is an adaptation for children of 126 of Aesop's fables.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,193,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible