Eye of the storm by John Ringo

Eye of the storm (original 2009; edition 2009)

by John Ringo

Member:joykenn
Title:Eye of the storm
Authors:John Ringo
Info:New York : Distributed by Simon & Schuster, c2009.
Collections:Kindle books, Your library
Tags:SF, kindle

Eye of the Storm by John Ringo (2009)

This is the latest book in John Ringo’s Legacy of The Aldenata series and it is also the first of the Hedren War sub-series within that overall series. When I read the first book in the Aldenata series I was not really very impressed. I really disliked the Darhel plotting and scheming in order to try and stay in power, at the cost of many human lives, despite the fact that the humans was pretty much the only thing that could save their sorry behinds from the Posleen. Therefore I was somewhat worried when this book pretty much started in the same way.

Luckily, after about a third of the book everything gets on a better track again. Actually, not only does it get on a better track but those bloody Darhel find themselves in a situation where they are seriously fucked by their own treacherous scheming and guess who have to save the day. This time it is the humans, more specifically O’Neal whom the Darhel tried to screw big time at the beginning of the book, that are calling the shots. I really liked the book from then on. O’Neil gets to tell the Darhel to fuck off or suck it up in so many ways from that point in the story.

I have actually not read any of the books in between the end of the Posleen War series and this new series. I never picked any of these up because I felt, from the descriptions, that they were all merely side stories that didn’t really advance the main story arc in any way. This book makes quite a few references to the Cally’s War sub-series within the Aldenata series though so I am wondering whether I should actually have read at least those first anyway. Not that it is a big issue reading this book without having read the Cally’s books but I get the impression that they may not have been as much side stories as I thought. I might actually pick them up now.

Anyway, back to Eye of The Storm. As I said I quite liked it from the one third point and onwards. Most of the book is about O’Neil & Co scrambling to rebuild the fighting forces that the Darhel destroyed by their treacherous behaviour and prepare to fight the new threat on the horizon. In the process O’Neil does his best to ensure that the Darhel stranglehold is broken…forever. There are really not that much fighting going on until the end of the book but it is still fun reading.

The two things that I wasn’t too thrilled about was the Sohon part which felt a bit too much as magic to me and also this idea of putting together the military units by some fancy bidding system like you were buying your troops on eBay. Not very plausible I have to say.

On the whole, when adding up the plusses and minuses, this was a very enjoyable read. It did end in a huge cliff-hanger though but then it was pretty clear that this was the first book in a new series so that was not very surprising.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
(Completion date approx) Enjoyable read in the Aldenata series. Continues the intrigue, continues the action. ( )
  Netherto | Oct 17, 2013 |
The aliens are coming!!

For those of you who just went 'Huh?! Hey, wait, didn't the aliens already come down, eat and/or attempt to otherwise wipe out most of humanity?" - yes, you're right. But these are new and different, smarter, more dangerous aliens. And who ya gonna call when the nasty old aliens attack? Mike O'Neal & family, of course.

Tongue in cheek aside, it's kind of like old home week, as everyone from Daisy Mae (with her captain & cat), to Rigas the Himmet turns up. And FINALLY Mike & Cally, the ACS & the Bane Sidhe get to be back on the same side. Hooray! ( )
1 vote SunnySD | Dec 15, 2009 |
Through an act of treachery the Darhel manage to wipe out the ACS and frame Mike for it. Unknown to them a new enemy is about to hit them making them call once again for help. This time it will cost em our freedom.

A nice turn to a series that seemed to be stuck and a refreshing change to the main story. ( )
  dswaddell | Aug 28, 2009 |
I picked this up after abandoning the series because it looked from the reviews as if humanity was finally going to figure out that the Darhel have been screwing them over and maybe even resolve the situation. Well, sort of. That bit is semi-resolved, but now there's a new threat. This endless series has just taken a new lease on life.

Ringo can write, but he's rather too militaristic for my tastes. If you like military SF and don't mind the militarism, this is a good series. (But for heaven's sake don't start here!) This particular entry is mostly training and background, with what should have been the climactic battle mostly a fizzle. There's some action, but this is mostly a transitional book. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Aug 6, 2009 |

John Ringoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Faries, JennieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, KurtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

With a new invasion from a previously unknown race threatening the Federation capital, Darhel Tir Dal Ron faces his ultimate nightmare: He is going to have to reinstate the one man human soldiers trust, a man with the power and knowledge to destroy the Darhel oligarchy forever--General Michael O'Neal--and convince him, against all logic, to save the Darhel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,452,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible