Hello Bunny Alice by Laura Wilson

Hello Bunny Alice (2003)

by Laura Wilson

In 1967, nightclub waitress Alice Conway met Lenny Maxted - one half of England's legendary comedic duo, 'Maxted and Flowers' - and fell deeply in love with him. Yet, like so many great comedians before him, Lenny had a troubled side - a dark side which even Alice, soon his fiancée, could never reach. So it comes as a devastating blow to the entertainment community when it learns that Lenny Maxted committed suicide on an earl's estate. However, no one could possibly be more shattered by Lenny's inexplicable death than Alice herself, who found his body.

Now it's seven years later, and Alice is living quietly on an isolated farm in Oxfordshire, still trying to forget the pain of her past. Traumatized by having been the focus of so many newspaper tabloid-style headlines, and continuously haunted by her vivid nightmares of Lenny's death - Alice's serenity has practically been demolished. When an anonymous newspaper clipping arrives in the mail, everything immediately comes rushing back. Despite spending years in self-imposed isolation, and the beauty of her chosen safe haven, Alice knows that she can't ignore the past for very much longer...

And when an unexpected visitor shows up on her doorstep, and another venomous newspaper article arrives, Alice is certain: The nightmare is somehow beginning all over again. What happens next will take Alice on a terrifying journey into darkness...because someone is telling lies to Alice about what happened one night seven years ago. Someone who knows the full truth about what really happened that terrible night - a monstrous secret that has been kept for seven years; a dark secret that ultimately links a time, a place, and a group of friends and lovers. A secret that will put Alice in mortal danger.

This is actually the third book by Ms. Wilson that I've read, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one as much as I did the other two. In my opinion, this was a very intriguing mystery. The plot was just intricate enough to hold my attention, but not overly complicated. I appreciated that I had absolutely no problem following this story. I give this book an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Nov 16, 2015 |
Another chance selection, which I had to buy because the library copy was 'overdue' by about three years, but a lucky hit this time! The ratings for Laura Wilson's books are all over the place on Amazon, so I'm sort of scared to try any more on the strength of this one story, in case I disappoint my now high expectations of this author. I started reading late in the evening, and was more than half way through before I made myself stop. The plot and the pacing, and the main narrative voice of 'bunny Alice', just hooked me right in! I was also totally fascinated by the main character's former career as a 'bunny girl' and had to order the memoirs of a real life bunny, Katherine Leigh Scott, to learn more.

Anyway. Alice, the former bunny girl, moves from London to rural Oxfordshire in the mid 1970s, after the suicide of her fiance followed by a failed marriage. She lives with her devoted dog, Eustace, and various other animals in happy seclusion, but of course the past won't stay dead and buried. After receiving newspaper cuttings from an anonymous source about the death of her fiance, Lenny, and the recent discovery of a woman's body in a lake, Alice's country retreat is thrown into chaos by the appearance on the doorstep of Lenny's former partner, Jack Flowers, now an alcoholic and a seriously disturbed man. But what does he know about the body in the lake, and what does he want from Alice?

The only problem I had with this story is the plot device which kicks the whole tense, psychological drama into action - Alice's bloody stupidity! Seriously, why does she let Jack stay? He's a creep from the get-go. She even says to herself later on, 'This can't be happening, it can't be, I can't bear it. Stupid, so stupid ...', and admits that basically, she just wanted to be close to a charming man who once knew Lenny. The only way I could get past Alice's bad taste in men was to keep reminding myself that the story is set in the 1970s. Not that all women were this colossally dumb or weak in that decade, I just don't think I could bear to read about their modern counterparts.

Some characters are written with faults to excuse how perfect they really are to the reader, making them seem more 'real', and then others, like Alice and the cast of psychiatric patients we meet through her, are so overwhelmingly flawed, so tragically human, that the reader must either pity them or loathe them. Laura Wilson has created a master class of the second type - Alice's first person narration really drew me into her life, mistakes and all, whereas the men were a bunch of spineless liars. My interest never flagged for a second, though. And I would love to have a dog like Eustace - I was so scared that he would get hurt, but luckily, the author obviously loves him too!

A totally gripping, powerful, engrossing psychological drama - definitely recommended! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Nov 12, 2012 |
In 1967 Bunny Girl Alice Jones met Lenny Maxted - one half of the brilliant comic duo, Maxted and Flowers - and fell deeply in love with him. But, like so many great comics, Lenny had a dark side. Their love affair ended when Alice found his body hanging from a beam in a Wiltshire cottage. Seven years after his death, in the long hot summer of 1976, Alice is leading a quiet, almost reclusive life in an Oxfordshire farmhouse when, out of the blue, Lenny's partner, Jack Flowers, turns up on her doorstep. Alice has not seen him since Lenny's funeral, but her surprise and pleasure turn in to an all too familiar sense of unease when she discovers that he is distressed and drinking heavily. At the same time a car containing human remains is fished out of a Wiltshire lake...

This story takes place mainly in the farmhouse where Alice lives, and Jack arrives to stay unexpectedly. There were flash backs to when they were all friends and Alice was dating Lenny, Jack’s partner. This gave the story a claustrophobic feel to it as it soon comes apparent that jack has other plans apart from a friendly visit.

A good read from this author but I feel that it was not one of her best reads. A quick read but it did take me longer than normal as I had a lot on this week and didn't’t pick the book up as much as I would normally. Plenty to keep me turning the pages and it soon comes apparent what really happened to Kitty before the book reaches it’s climax.

Would I recommend this book: Yes if you like Laura Wilson or if you want a quick thriller fix. ( )
  tina1969 | Feb 26, 2011 |
A strangely compelling book. I wasn't overly keen on the first person narration style, I didn't like *any* of the characters (the narrator was a complete doormat), but the story gripped me enough to finish it in one sitting. ( )
  sandpiper | May 10, 2008 |
this is a great thriller from british author , Laura Wilson. ( )
  bhowell | Feb 8, 2008 |
To all those who walk their dogs in lincoln fields - and the dogs themselves of course
The man who once voted Britain's top comic has been found hanged - just three days after announcing his engagement.

"In 1967 Bunny Girl Alice Jones met Lenny Maxted - one half of the brilliant comic duo, Maxted and Flowers - and fell deeply in love with him. But, like so many great comics, Lenny had a dark side. Their love affair ended when Alice found his body hanging from a beam in a Wiltshire cottage." "Seven years after his death, in the long, hot summer of 1976, Alice is leading a quiet, almost reclusive life in an Oxfordshire farmhouse when, out of the blue, Lenny's partner, Jack Flowers, turns up on her doorstep. Alice has not seen him since Lenny's funeral, but her surprise and pleasure turn into an all too familiar sense of unease when she discovers that he is distressed and drinking heavily. At the same time a car containing human remains is fished out of a Wilshire lake."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,356,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible