Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie…

Organizing from the Inside Out

by Julie Morgenstern

Read during Fall 2001

Julie is my new Diva! The only book on organizing that doesn't make me irratated and bothered but actually helped.
  amyem58 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Useful book especially in terms of setting up an office or home office. Suggests analysis prior to purging and with sticking with systems that are already working for you. ( )
  CarterPJ | Jun 18, 2013 |
Rating: 4 of 5

Something finally clicked for me while reading Organizing from the Inside Out. Over the last 10 years, after reading mountains of pages on organizing my life, this was the first author who helped me figure out where my once orderly and well-managed life went hinky.

Morgenstern advised to work with natural habits and tendencies instead of against them. For example, if I constantly have a pile of books beside my bed instead of the reading chair in the library, it's probably time to put a bookshelf close to or next to my bed rather than forcing myself or hoping I'll eventually keep all those books just in the library.

I appreciated Part One (Laying the Foundation) and Part Two (Secrets of a Professional Organizer) almost as much as the how-to, activity-focused Part Three (Applying What You've Learned) and Part Four (Tackling Time and Technology). Morgenstern included lots of examples which I always like to see in a how-to book. And I've already made several copies of Appendix A, "Organizing Your Project worksheet."

Projects/areas covered in detail (with examples for each step of her "program" as well as estimated time needed to complete the project) include:

* Handbags, briefcases
* Suitcases
* Traditional offices and filing systems
* Home offices
* Kids' rooms
* Kitchens
* Living rooms
* Photographs

Pay attention to the book's title, though, as it truly does put a strong emphasis on pinpointing why your past attempts at implementing organization have failed or, in other cases, why you haven't ever even attempted to get organized. If delving into the reasons behind your actions and habits turns you off, then skip this book. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 8, 2013 |
If you have difficulty getting organized, if you struggle with clutter, or if you tend to hoard things, try this book. Read the first six chapters, then choose from the rest of the chapters as needed. Morgenstern offers methods for tackling specific organizational challenges such as closets, offices, handbags, briefcases, suitcases, cubicles, computers, kitchens, bathrooms, kids' rooms, photos, and time, among others. The chapter examining why we hold on to things was particularly helpful to me.
1 vote Deb85 | Mar 12, 2011 |
If you have ever been frustrated by trying to organize a room, your desk, or your life this book is for you. Featured on Oprah, Organizing From the Inside Out offers a three-step organizing system that can be applied to any space or situation. Morgenstern goes room by room and gives practical and helpful advice on how to get organized and how to stay organized. Each chapter has a "How Long Will It Take" section that gives you a realistic time estimate and a "Julie's No-Brainer Toss List" that gives you permission and encouragement to get rid of things that you know you'll probably never use again. The last chapter of the book "Tackling Time and Technology" will help you organize your electronic life, i.e. Palm Pilots and hard drives. ( )
  lorireed | Nov 8, 2010 |
OK, so you've been trying for years to get organized.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805056491, Paperback)

It's about time! Julie Morgenstern has written an organizing book that covers a new way of looking at the task of organizing effectively without labeling or blaming the person behind the lack of organization. Rather, she says, people who don't organize just never learned how to organize, through no fault of their own--after all, it's not a skill that's taught in school. That said, she gets down to work helping you figure out an organizing system that will really work for you, not a system based on cookie-cutter filing concepts or special storage units.

Morgenstern's "from the inside out" system begins by laying out the possible reasons for a failure of organization: technical errors (like having a complex organizing system that breaks down), external realities (like not enough space for your belongings), and psychological obstacles (like fear of failure--or success). Then, her Analyze and Strategize steps help create a plan of action based on your needs and goals, and the brief chapter called "Attack: Getting the Job Done" offers basic ideas for making space. The largest section of the book, "Applying What You've Learned," addresses the specifics of organizing workspaces, home offices, living spaces, and storage areas. Each section has a "How Long Will It Take?" box that gives a realistic time estimate, and Morgenstern's "Julie's No-Brainer Toss List" for each area gives the permission and encouragement that most of us have been waiting for to get rid of things we'll never use again. The section at the end, "Tackling Time and Technology," is worth its weight in DayTimers and PalmPilots. Whatever your organizing issues are, you're not a hopeless case, and you don't need special equipment--just a little understanding of the problem and a willingness to plan before diving in.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:38 -0400)

An updated handbook introduces the principles of organization, explaining how to adapt them to individual needs, and presents a three-step system that can be applied to any space or situation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible