Wounds of Passion: A Writing Life

by bell hooks

"Wounds of Passion is a memoir about writing, love, and sexuality. With her customary boldness and insight, bell hooks critically reflects on the impact of birth control and the women's movement on our lives. She explores the way her sexuality is influenced by her radical political consciousness. Resisting the notion that love and writing don't mix, she begins a fifteen-year relationship with a gifted poet and scholar, who inspires and encourages her. Writing the acclaimed book Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism at the age of nineteen, she begins to emerge as a brilliant social critic and public intellectual. Wounds of Passion describes a woman's struggle to devote herself to writing, sharing the difficulties, the triumphs, the pleasure, and the danger. Eloquent and powerful, this book lets us see the ways one woman writer works to find her voice while creating a love relationship based on feminist thinking. With courage and wisdom she reveals intimate details and provocative ideas, offering an illuminating vision of a writer's life."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

Like the reviewer below, what struck me most about this book was its truthfulness. bell hooks uses writing to get at the truth of who she is, and this memoir of how she moves from childhood to a mutually dependent relationship to autonomy has taught me much about race, gender and identity in our society. It also has made me think seriously about who I am, and that seems to me to speak to the importance of this book. She strikes the core of what makes us all women, and how our identities develop as we become adults. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Jan 1, 2019 |
This is an extremely intense memoir speaking insightfully and passionately about the truths of race, sexism, creativity, and self. The book was written in equal measure in the first person and the third person. The first person presented the memoir from the traditional viewpoint. The third person is her observing self at the time of writing the book. The format allows for a depth of self analysis that is inspiring. I thought it was spectacular and gave me much to think about. ( )
1 vote snash | Jul 28, 2010 |
I'm nearly finished with this memoir, but wow. bell hooks charts her development as a writer in a unique non-linear memoir. she also chronicles some very destructive relationships. The book has given me a lot to think about in terms of love and its possibilities. ( )
  solicitouslibrarian | Aug 20, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,729,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible