Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction by…

Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction

by Mark Maslin

207156,585 (3.68)1

Some months ago, after a particularly outrageous (but slickly produced) "documentary" on the TV about climate change and why it "wasn't" a problem, I realised that I could no longer remember as many details about climate change as I wished. I decided a short refresher was in order and turned to a number of websites, plus this book and also the "Rough Guide to Climate Change".
As a short introduction this one's not bad, but actually I feel it falls uncomfortably between a number of stools - it comes across as too scientific for a newcomer to the area, but insufficiently detailed to someone like myself looking to refresh their memory. I think the same can be said of the extent to which it deals with the social, political and economic implications of climate change too.
Contrary to expectations I found the Rough Guide to be the better book (though not perfect; I may review it later), with more exploration of the issues and implications and clearer and more relevant presentation of the science. Others may disagree. (I may change my mind too after I have completed a science course this year). ( )
  daniel.links | Sep 17, 2007 |
Global warming is the most important science issue of the 21st century, challenging the very structure of our global society.
The first two editions were published as Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction. The title was changed to Climate Change: A Very Short Introduction with the third edition published 23 October 2014.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192840975, Paperback)

Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction is an informative, up to date discussion about the predicted impacts of global warming. It draws on material from the recent report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a huge collaborative study drawing together current thinking on the subject from experts in a range of disciplines, and presents the findings of the panel for a general readership for the first time. The book also discusses the politics of global warming and what we can do now to adapt to climate change and mitigate its worst effects.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

"Global Warming provides readers with clear and essential information needed to define, understand, and research this important topic. From the greenhouse effect to fossil fuels and the Industrial Revolution to growing evidence of global warming, this volume fairly addresses all sides of the issues."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,324,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible