A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A Briefer History of Time

by Stephen Hawking

Other authors: Leonard Mlodinow (Author)

1,327None5,881 (3.94)14
    Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax" by Philip Plait (ElBarto)
    ElBarto: Ein weiteres gut gemachtes und deutlich humorvolleres Einführungswerk für Menschen, die sich für Astronomie interessieren.

English (22)  German (1)  All languages (23)
A quicker read? Perhaps out of date? ( )
  clifforddham | Mar 19, 2014 |
Although “briefer,” this book is much more than a mere explanation of Hawking’s earlier work. A Briefer History of Time both clarifies and expands on the great subjects of the original, and records the latest developments in the field—from string theory to the search for a unified theory of all the forces of physics. Thirty-seven full-color illustrations enhance the text and make A Briefer History of Time an exhilarating and must-have addition in its own right to the great literature of science and ideas. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
Very readable, and I was actually surprised to realize I'd learned most of this information in an astronomy class I took in college. Who knew I was this educated?

The end of the book, where Hawking discusses the theories that scientists are currently trying to prove, started getting to be a bit above my head - in my lay opinion, I think it was a combination of Hawking getting a bit more vague and having fewer concrete facts and observations to state ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 19, 2013 |
This is the new version of the book once called the most widely-owned book no one's ever read. And it's pretty thick stuff. I think there are other authors - Greene's "Elegant Universe" comes to mind - who do a better job explaining these tough concepts than Hawking does.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm an idiot. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
There's nothing like the contemplation of the universe for making one feel simultaneously awe struck and incredibly insignificant.

Kind of random, but I loved Hawking's frequent use of the exclamation mark. For example::

"However, when an antiparticle and a particle meet, they annihilate each other. So if you meet your antiself, don't shake hands - you would both vanish in a great flash of light!"
and
"The supermassive black hole has a star orbiting it at about 2 percent the speed of light, faster than the average speed of an electron orbiting the nucleus in an atom!"

His pure excitement regarding the subject matter and specific points being made is almost palpable. I wanted to yell "Preach it, Mr. Hawking! Science is awesome!"

I also learned, much to my surprise, that the world apparently doesn't revolve around me.

cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |

Stephen Hawkingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mlodinow, LeonardAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHORS

The science classic made more accessible
• More concise • Illustrated

FROM ONE OF THE MOST BRILLIANT MINDS OF OUR TIME COMES A BOOK THAT CLARIFIES HIS MOST IMPORTANT IDEAS

Stephen Hawking’s worldwide bestseller A Brief History of Time remains a landmark volume in scientific writing. But for years readers have asked for a more accessible formulation of its key concepts—the nature of space and time, the role of God in creation, and the history and future of the universe. A Briefer History of Time is Professor Hawking’s response.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:20 -0400)

In the years since the publication of Hawking's A Brief History of Time, readers have repeatedly told Hawking of their great difficulty in understanding some of the book's most important concepts. This is the reason for A Briefer History: his wish to make its content more accessible to readers--as well as to bring it up-to-date with the latest scientific observations and findings. Purely technical concepts, such as the mathematics of chaotic boundary conditions, are gone. Conversely, subjects of wide interest that have now been given entire chapters of their own, including relativity, curved space, and quantum theory. This reorganization has allowed the authors to expand areas of recent progress, from string theory to exciting developments in the search for a unified theory of all the forces of physics.--From publisher description.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible