A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A Briefer History of Time (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow

Member:ctahmase
Title:A Briefer History of Time
Authors:Stephen Hawking
Other authors:Leonard Mlodinow
Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:Read in 2012

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking (2005)

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax" by Philip Plait (ElBarto)
    ElBarto: Ein weiteres gut gemachtes und deutlich humorvolleres Einführungswerk für Menschen, die sich für Astronomie interessieren.

English (28)  German (1)  All languages (29)
It's been about five years since I took Physics AP in high school, and, in hindsight, I can definitely say that it was one of my more favorite classes that I took back then. But when I went to college, I decided to major in a non-science or math field, mainly because I liked math for the puzzle solving element of it, rather than having to use physics on the job 24/7. Cut to present time, and I finally picked this book up. Obviously, it's not the full version, but rather the shorter, more accessible version of Stephen Hawking's classic, [b:A Brief History of Time|3869|A Brief History of Time|Stephen W. Hawking|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255568961s/3869.jpg|2192250].

I'm proud of myself for actually remembering a lot of the materiel that Hawking references in the book. But even if you have no background in math of physics, other than the rudimentary basics, then don't be afraid to pick this up. It's excactly what the title says: A Briefer History of Time. You'll be caught up with the scientific achievements of Galileo and Newton to Einstein and even today's modern scientists. It's pretty recent, so a lot of the theoies are pretty relevant, at least to a certain extent. In addition, Hawking speaks with such prose that makes the book so approachable. Don't be intimidated...in fact, after reading this book, I'm sure you'll be eager to pick up other scientific books about the history of the universe or some other puzzling mystery that plagues mankind. As for myself, I'm really interested in reading a biography of Albert Einstein after reading this one.

To sum it up, this is definitely a must read book for all those out there interested in getting reacquainted with science in its most basic form. After reading it, I'm sure you'll be able to explain how scientists measure the distance of far away galaxies using the Doppler effect to your friends. It's that good. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I read the less brief version a while back, but considering I'm going to be reading many more science books in the near future, it was good to bone up on the basics. I didn't understand it all, but I enjoyed it. I'll keep reading more on the subject and eventually it'll come to me, and I'll be further enriched.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
As stated by the authors, this was easier to digest than its predecessor. Since I have a very limited understanding of science, I appreciated the straight forward style of this book. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Mind=Blown ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
If you've wanted to explore the ideas of Stephen Hawking's best-known book, A Brief History of Time, but are intimidated by it, this "briefer" book may be the ticket. It provides an introduction to the theory of general and special relativity, the beginnings of the universe, how black holes are formed, and the nature of the four fundamental forces. And because it has been published more recently than the first edition of A Brief History of Time, it includes summaries of the latest developments in cosmology and physics research.

I particularly enjoyed the cosmology- or astronomy-based chapters, or rather the ones that talked about physical concepts and objects such as planets and black holes; at this point, I think relativity and string theory are *always* going to make my head hurt, no matter how much I read about them. Nevertheless, this is a good book and I would recommend it if you're interested. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Sep 17, 2014 |

Stephen Hawkingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mlodinow, Leonardsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHORS

The science classic made more accessible
• More concise • Illustrated

FROM ONE OF THE MOST BRILLIANT MINDS OF OUR TIME COMES A BOOK THAT CLARIFIES HIS MOST IMPORTANT IDEAS

Stephen Hawking’s worldwide bestseller A Brief History of Time remains a landmark volume in scientific writing. But for years readers have asked for a more accessible formulation of its key concepts—the nature of space and time, the role of God in creation, and the history and future of the universe. A Briefer History of Time is Professor Hawking’s response.

Although “briefer,” this book is much more than a mere explanation of Hawking’s earlier work. A Briefer History of Time both clarifies and expands on the great subjects of the original, and records the latest developments in the field—from string theory to the search for a unified theory of all the forces of physics. Thirty-seven full-color illustrations enhance the text and make A Briefer History of Time an exhilarating and must-have addition in its own right to the great literature of science and ideas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

In the years since the publication of Hawking's A Brief History of Time, readers have repeatedly told Hawking of their great difficulty in understanding some of the book's most important concepts. This is the reason for A Briefer History: his wish to make its content more accessible to readers--as well as to bring it up-to-date with the latest scientific observations and findings. Purely technical concepts, such as the mathematics of chaotic boundary conditions, are gone. Conversely, subjects of wide interest that have now been given entire chapters of their own, including relativity, curved space, and quantum theory. This reorganization has allowed the authors to expand areas of recent progress, from string theory to exciting developments in the search for a unified theory of all the forces of physics.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,436,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible