Pale Fire Publisher: Vintage by Vladimir…

Pale Fire Publisher: Vintage (original 1962; edition 1988)

by Vladimir Nabokov

5,59588768 (4.27)1 / 285
Title:Pale Fire Publisher: Vintage
Authors:Vladimir Nabokov

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov (1962)

1960s (70)
Romans (42)

English (84)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
1/2010: I think I'm converted to the Rothian interpretation of PF in light of RLS's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." In this interpretation, Shade, Kinbote and Gradus are all the same person; rather, each is a different personality residing in the same body. However, the novel is still populated with 'real' people -- i.e., people other than the diffracted personalities. I'm still mulling this over, though; but I'm open to it.

The author's son, Dmitri, singled out this novel as his favorite (of all time). This is actually two books in one: the poem, "Pale Fire," written by John Shade, and the commentary to the poem, written by one Charles Kinbote, who may or may not also be the exiled King Charles of Nova Zembla.

Here's the plot: John Shade was shot dead, through the heart, by a mad man on the day that he finished his poem, "Pale Fire," which consists of 999 lines of heroic couplets (do the math), in iambic pentameter. Charles, a "heterosexual man of action" (Charles actually used this term to describe an acquaintance of his), was present when Shade got shot. Thinking quickly, Kinbote took the poet's roughdraft and hid it away; he subsequently wrote the commentary to the poem -- without which commentary we wouldn't have the poem at all. Here's the problem: the commentary barely has anything to do with the poem itself; instead, it consists of increasingly flimsy references to the poem itself and serves instead as a platform for Kinbote to talk about his (very swishy, frequently hilarious) life in Nova Zembla.

The novel, rather Kinbote's commentary to same, may also manifest influences from Shade and his daughter, Hazel, both dead, both of whom express themselves by influencing Kinbote's very thoughts, probably by means of sympathetic vibration; e.g., a phenomenon whereby one string, unstruck, vibrates when its neighbor is plucked, so to speak.

Joshua Ferris (author of "And Then We Came To An End"), who named "Pale Fire" as his #2 "Most Influential Novel in last week's Newsweek (8/30/08), had this to say about the novel:

"Is it such a crime for a lonely bachelor to install two Ping-Pong tables in his basement?" (http://www.newsweek.com/id/156367/output/print)

A rather plaintive little question, no? Indeed.

In conclusion, I leave you the first stanza of "Pale Fire", quoted wholly without permission:

"I was the shadow of the waxwing slain,
By the false azure in the window pane;
I was the smudge of ashen fluff -- and I
Lived on, flew on, in the reflected sky."
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This beautiful and complicated novel rewards the reader on several levels, and that's just on first reading. It is elegantly structured. The first level looks simple enough -- an introduction of a poem, the poem itself, and then a series of notes on the poem -- but this explodes into complexity when you begin to understand just how unreliable a narrator we are dealing with, and just how wild are his beliefs about the poem (and about everything?) That makes it into a bit of a mystery. Who is the narrator? what is his real relation to the poet. The language of course is gorgeous (this is Nabokov, after all). Finally the whole thing is terribly funny, as an examination of delusion and as a takedown of the American liberal arts college. I plan to re-read the book, and to read a book of criticism about it ( Brian Boyd's "'Pale Fire': The Magic of Artistic Discovery"). After that I may revise the review, but for now I can only say how glad I am that I finally read it. ( )
  annbury | Mar 22, 2016 |
It's been said by many others, but it truly IS all in the footnotes - ignore them at your peril. If Nabokov directs, you must follow...A unique book among books, it can be read on several levels. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Pale Fire is a parody and a commentary wrapped in suspense. There are two central characters, poet John Francis Shade and self-appointed editor of Shade, Charles Kinbote. Right away there is a foreboding air about Kinbote. Something about him doesn't seem right. He asserts only one line is missing from the poem, the last one - line 1000. How does he know this after being Shade's neighbor for only five months (from February 5th, 1959 to July 21, 1959)? He admits that twenty years earlier he tried to translate Shade. The word tried implies he was unsuccessful. Why was that? When Kinbote first moved next door he wasn't invited into the Shade household. He was reduced to spying through the hedges and trees; an "orgy of spying" he admits (p 68).
But, the poem nor Kinbote's relationship are the real focus of Pale Fire. Kinbote's commentary allows him to tell a fantastic story of an assassin from the fictional land of Zembla set out to kill a fictional king. I agreed with New York Times critic George Cloyne in that Pale Fire can't be read straight through with any satisfaction. It's a tale to be dipped into from time to time. Despite it being only 289 pages long it took me forever to finish. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 8, 2016 |
Pale Fire, another "academic" novel by Vladimir Nabokov, is a fun romp. "Pale Fire" is the name of a long poem (not unlike "Eugene Onegin") by the poet and university professor John Shade, who dies very quickly after completing it. His neighbor, Charles Kinbote, also a professor and huge fan of Shade, manages to obtain the poem and writes the definitive line-by-line commentary to the poem, which is published together as the book "Pale Fire". As the commentary progresses, the reader learns of a nefarious plot hinted at in the poem, and fully explained by the commentator. Nabokov was having fun with the whole business of literary interpretation, and maybe forewarning the future readers of his own commentaries on "Eugene Onegin".

[On an almost entirely unrelated note, I've had this paperback for many years, but never read it. When I opened it, I found a receipt from when I bought it around 1979 from a used bookstore called "Fahrenheit 451" in Laguna Beach. 'Pale Fire'? 'Fahrenheit 451'? Just a coincidence? I think not. :-) ] ( )
  Marse | Jan 3, 2016 |
If the introduction and notes are eccentric, the index is of a similar quality ... Kinbote's index is a symptom of his insanity.
added by KayCliff | editNew Writing 9, Robert Irwin (Dec 12, 2010)
The integration of events described in the index into the text of Pale fire clearly qualifies this index as an example of indexes as fiction. The complex trail of cross-references by which the whole book may be alternatively read makes it possible also to regard this novel as an example of fiction as index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 5, 1997)
In fact, “Pale Fire” is a curiosity into which it is agreeable to dip rather than a book which can be read straight through with pleasure.

Nabokov, Vladimirprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinbote, CharlesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rorty, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verstegen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This reminds me of the ludicrous account he gave Mr. Langton, of the despicable state of a young gentleman of good family. "Sir, when I heard of him last, he was running about town shooting cats." And then in a sort of kindly reverie, he bethought himself of his own favorite cat, and said, "But, Hodge shan't be shot: no, no, Hodge shall not be shot."

--James Boswell, the Life of Samuel Johnson
To Véra
I was the shadow of the waxwing slain / By the false azure in the windowpane.
Pale Fire, a poem in heroic couplets, of nine hundred ninety-nine lines, divided into four cantos, was composed by John Francis Shade (born July 5, 1898, died July 21, 1959) during the last twenty days of his life, at his residence in New Wye, Appalachia, U.S.A.
I have no desire to twist and batter an unambiguous apparatus criticus into the monstrous semblance of a novel.
No lips would share the lipstick of her smoke.
Shadows, the, a regicidal organization which commissioned Gradus (q.v.) to assassinate the self-banished king; its leader’s terrible name cannot be mentioned, even in the Index to the obscure work of a scholar; his maternal grandfather, a well-known and very courageous master builder, was hired by Thurgus the Turgid, around 1885, to make certain repairs in his quarters, and soon after that perished, poisoned in the royal kitchens, under mysterious circumstances, together with his three young apprentices whose pretty first names Yan, Yonny, and Angeling, are preserved in a ballad still to be heard in some of our wilder valleys.
I'm puzzled by the difference between / Two methods of composing. A, the kind / Which goes on solely in the poet's mind, / A testing of performing words, while he / Is soaping a third time one leg, and B, / The other kind, much more decorous, when / He's in his study wielding his pen.
It is *so* like the heart of a scholar in search of a fond name to pile a
butterfly genus upon an Orphic divinity on top of the inevitable allusion to
Vanhomrigh, Esther! In this connection a couple of lines from one of Swift's
poems (which in these backwoods I cannot locate) have stuck in my memory:

When, lo! *Vanessa* in her bloom

Advanced like *Atalanta*'s star.
The curse of the verse!
(Note: this refers to Zembla.)
So: king, or madman?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723420, Paperback)

Like Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire is a masterpiece that imprisons us inside the mazelike head of a mad émigré. Yet Pale Fire is more outrageously hilarious, and its narrative convolutions make the earlier book seem as straightforward as a fairy tale. Here's the plot--listen carefully! John Shade is a homebody poet in New Wye, U.S.A. He writes a 999-line poem about his life, and what may lie beyond death. This novel (and seldom has the word seemed so woefully inadequate) consists of both that poem and an extensive commentary on it by the poet's crazy neighbor, Charles Kinbote.

According to this deranged annotator, he had urged Shade to write about his own homeland--the northern kingdom of Zembla. It soon becomes clear that this fabulous locale may well be a figment of Kinbote's colorfully cracked, prismatic imagination. Meanwhile, he manages to twist the poem into an account of Zembla's King Charles--whom he believes himself to be--and the monarch's eventual assassination by the revolutionary Jakob Gradus.

In the course of this dizzying narrative, shots are indeed fired. But it's Shade who takes the hit, enabling Kinbote to steal the dead poet's manuscript and set about annotating it. Is that perfectly clear? By now it should be obvious that Pale Fire is not only a whodunit but a who-wrote-it. There isn't, of course, a single solution. But Nabokov's best biographer, Brian Boyd, has come up with an ingenious suggestion: he argues that Shade is actually guiding Kinbote's mad hand from beyond the grave, nudging him into completing what he'd intended to be a 1,000-line poem. Read this magical, melancholic mystery and see if you agree. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Nabokov's parody, half poem and half commentary on the poem, deals with the escapades of the deposed king of Zemala in a New England college town.

577 wanted4 pay7 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185260, 0141197242

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,705,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible