Parenting With Love And Logic by Foster W.…

Parenting With Love And Logic (1990)

by Foster W. Cline, Jim Fay (Author)

Children: the challenge by Rudolf Dreikurs (paulkid)
    paulkid: Written in 1964, Dreikurs' book it is somewhat dated (lots of "Mothers" and "homemakers", among others), but it does not take the concept of logical consequences to the extreme as can happen in other books. In addition, it gives you other tools that, in some situations, are superior alternatives to the love and logic method.… (more)

this is astoundingly bad parenting advice. dangerously bad, actually. i was looking forward to reading this and was immediately put off by the super christian bent to it (i just looked and realized it was published by a christian press) but thought i'd just ignore that part. ("Responsible parents want to bring their children up with established spiritual values. They want their kids to have faith, understand the Christian message, and know God intimately.") even as i was reading and disagreeing with much of the message, and a lot of the way it was being told, i figured there was some good foundational stuff that i could take from this book for my own parenting. and there is. but i can't get past all of the really terrible things they tell you to do, and how they tell you that if you don't you will be doing "irreparable harm" to your children "by the time they reach high school." example, i agree - you have to take care of yourself if you intend to take care of other people. you have to do some things for yourself, etc. but: "For many unhappy parents and their entitled, demanding children, life becomes a one-way street....Wise parents who find themselves in such a predicament set the model by taking good care of themselves. A Love and Logic parent might say, 'Honey, I know you want me to (help you with your homework; take you to your practice; drive you to the movie). However, I'm sorry to say that taking you places (doing things for you) has put a darkening cloud over my haze of happiness lately. That's sad but true. So I think I'll pass on doing it this time.' This parent will raise respectful, thoughtful children who grow to take good care of themselves, too." really? you want me to help me with your homework but i don't want to, so screw you, kid. i could pull something like this from almost every page that i got through, contradicting something they wrote before. this isn't about "natural consequences" and "raising responsible kids." it's about giving a pass to lazy parents, and generally telling you ways to royally fuck up your kids. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jul 23, 2013 |
This book is highly recommended. It teaches the importance of natural consequences, an area that is often overlooked in parenting,
  WordandWorshipChurch | Mar 14, 2011 |
This book details a program/method on raising responsible kids in an irresponsible world. Lots of good ideas and advice. Now, I just need to learn to implement it! ( )
  aarondesk | Dec 31, 2010 |
This book is great in many ways. It offers practical, easy to implement strategies for encouraging positive behavior in your children through the use of logical consequences. It is very behavioral in its emphasis meaning it shouldn't be the only book on your shelf. Supplement with books to address other issues such as the meaning behind your child's behavior. Gottman's "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child" is a good one. The second half of the book is not nearly as helpful as the first. It offers topical "pearls" that felt too surfacy in their treatment to be of much use. You are in good shape if you simply read the first 100 pages or so. ( )
1 vote JulieVerner | Aug 13, 2009 |
This is a great book with great ideas. Sometimes the ideas are difficult to pull off, but they are all "logical". It is a more relaxed way of parenting by putting the responsibility back on the child. ( )
  eileenseverson | Dec 8, 2008 |

Foster W. Clineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fay, JimAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To all the parents and children (including our own!) who were my teachers, and to my wife, Hermie, who gave support.
--Foster

To my wife, Shirley, whose love, support, and wisdom have always been a source of motivation and strength.
--Jim
For hundreds of years, rookie parents have learned the finer points of child rearing by example: They took the techniques their parents had used on them and applied them to their own children.

EFFECTIVE PARENTING-WITHOUT THE POWER STRUGGLES.

As parents, you have only a few years to prepare your children for a world that requires responsibility and maturity for survival. That thought alone can send shivers down your parental spine!

So what do you do? Hover over your kids so they never make mistakes? Drill them so they'll remember the important principles when you're on their own? Tear your hair out, wondering if teaching them responsibility is anything but a battle of wills?

According to Jim Fay, one of America's top educational consultants, and Dr. Foster Cline, a trend-setting child and adult psychiatrist, parents who try to ensure their children's success often raise unsuccessful kids. Responsibility is like anything else-it has to be learned through practice.

If you want to raise kids who are self-confident, motivated, and ready for the real world, take advantage of the win-win approach to parenting. Your kids will win because they'll learn responsibility and the logic of life by solving their own problems. And you'll win because you'll establish healthy control-without resorting to anger, threats, nagging, or exhausting power struggles.

Parenting with Love and Logic puts the fun back into parenting!

"Parents consistently tell us they wish they had known about love and logic earlier. This common sense approach gives parents a tangible hope that they can still influence their kids."-Dave Funk, staff development coordinator, New Berlin Public Schools, Wisconsin

"I have been a principal for four years now and have used these methods with great success. Thank you for all the creative ideas."-Steven B. Vande Ven, principal, Sherrelwood Elementary School, Denver, Colorado

"I'm continually amazed at how well these principles work, not only with children, but with parents and other adults. It's great to get away from punishment and anger and into love and logic."-Sharon Alexander, principal, Disnard Elementary School, Claremont, New Hampshire

"I really believe that this material can benefit every parent. I have never enjoyed my children more. Parenting has become fun, and stress and anger no longer dominate my life."-Pam L. Tourigny, group home foster parent, Snelling, California

"Parenting with Love and Logic meets with wonderful results. For the first time in four years, we're making progress in the right direction with our teenager."-Billie Leafgreen, parent, Lander, Wyoming

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

If you want to raise kids that who are self-confident, motivated, and ready for the real world, take advantage of the win-win approach to parenting. Your kids will win because they'll learn responsibility and the logic of life by solving their own problems. And you'll win because you'll establish healthy control -- without resorting to anger, threats, nagging, or exhausting power struggles.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible