The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and…

The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries) (2005)

by Cassandra Chan

I wasn't overly impressed. The characters were somewhat wanly drawn, and I couldn't bring myself to invest any emotions into their fates. I'm fine with an omniscient narrator (I actually prefer it, in most cases) but there was something curiously off about the tone. I think it was a bit too American for the setting (English aristocratic country house murder). I finished the book, but won't be getting any more. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
This is the first volume in a series* of mysteries starring a working class Scotland Yard detective and his wealthy, aristocratic friend. Not exactly original, and since the author lives in Florida, I'm not sure that they are atmospherically correct. However, the mystery itself was nicely done, and had the right kinds of twists, and it was well written.

It didn't leave me clammoring for more, but I will add the series to my list to watch out for.

*According to the back cover, there are previous short stories, which explains the feel of coming in late. I don't know if these are available anywhere, or if they have been collected. ( )
  teckelvik | May 9, 2010 |
To Doe, the best mother an aspiring writer ever had. This is for you, with love and heartfelt thanks for making everything possible.
Annette Berowne had a sweet, heart-shaped face.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312941889, Mass Market Paperback)

A CHARMING WIDOW WITH A TROUBLING HISTORY
As if by magic, Annette Berowne seems capable of dazzling men from the moment she meets them. But when Annette becomes the primary suspect in her husband’s poisoning death, she arouses entirely different feelings. Now some men feel sorry for her while others are convinced she’s guilty.

PROVIDES TWO DETECTIVES WITH A MYSTERY OF SEDUCTION AND MURDER.
Jack Gibbons is a by-the-book, rising star at Scotland Yard. His friend Phillip Bethancourt is a smart, devil-may-care type with a good heart and a razor-sharp sense of people. When they reach the Berowne manor in Surrey, with its colorful coterie of staff and family, Bethancourt is strangely immune to Annette’s charms. As the two men delve into the case, Gibbons is sure Annette is an innocent damsel in distress. But Bethancourt is only certain of this: his earnest friend is falling in love-with a woman whose lovers keep finding ways to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:13 -0400)

In this stylish debut, Scotland Yard detective Jack Gibbons is aided by his best friend on a murder case where the prime suspect is wealthy, dangerous, and irresistible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible