Afraid by Jack Kilborn

Authors:Jack Kilborn
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Afraid by Jack Kilborn

English (113)  German (2)  All languages (115)
Not going to read. Too much violence. ( )
  AliceAnna | Jan 22, 2019 |
For readers who enjoy horror stories this one might be enjoyable, if they like their books bloody and violent. It's not a genre I tend to read, but seeing Barry Eisler had posted this book on either facebook or Twitter, I thought I'd give it a try.

This book was much too gory and gruesome for me. I read real fast past those sections so as to get to the end of the story hoping someone, anyone would get out alive. Much like when I'm in the movie theaters and there are snakes coiled around hissing. I know they're there, but I really don't want to look. I don't believe in spoilers so I won't say what happened at the end.

It will probably be a long while before I read horror again. Will this review help any reader make a decision? Well, I cannot read Stephen King either. Last one I read was Cujo and that one gave me nightmares for a month.

DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
Hands down this is 1 of the BEST horror books that I've read in years!!! ( )
  SuziQBird | May 9, 2018 |
Horror? This is it. Has it all from suspense to graphic gory details to unexpected twists to mind control. Have added Jack Kilborn to my favorite authors list. ( )
  gac53 | Mar 30, 2018 |
This was absolutely brutal! I have never read anything this violent before. I have read books that insinuate violence or violent activity, but never anything like this. If you are the least bit squeamish, do NOT pick up this book!

With that being said, the book was good and I will read more in this series and by this author. I can't say anything about the story w/o giving it away so I will just leave the review as is. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |

Jack Kilbornprimary authorall editionscalculated
Konrath, J.A.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear-not absence of fear.
-MARK TWAIN
This book is dedicated to four very smart publishing folks.
Miriam Goderich, for making me do it.
James Dystel, for never giving up on it.
Jamie Levine and Vicki Mellor, for seeing it's potential.
The hunter's moon, a shade of orange so dark it appeared to be filled with blood, hung fat and low over the mirror surface of Big Lake McDonald.

Welcome to Safe Haven, Wisconsin. Miles from everything, with one road in and out, this peaceful town has never needed a full-time police force. Until now . . . A helicopter has crashed near Safe Haven and unleashed something horrifying. Now this merciless force is about to do what it does best. Isolate. Terrorize. Annihilate. As residents begin dying in a storm of gory violence, Safe Haven's only chance for survival will rest with an aging county sheriff, a firefighter, and a single mom. And each will have this harrowing thought: Maybe death hasn't come to their town by accident . . .

A unit of soldiers modified to kill and torture without discrimination is accidentally sent to a small town in Wisconsin. The government sends in a variety of special forces to stop them from destroying the place, but the town's real hope of survival is with "an aging county sheriff, a firefighter, and a single mom."--Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jack Kilborn's book Afraid was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jack Kilborn's book Afraid was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,598,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible