Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller by Linda…

Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller (edition 2010)

by Linda Castillo, Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)

Title:Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller
Authors:Linda Castillo
Other authors:Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 9, Taschenbuch, 432 Seiten
Collections:Thriller, Your library, Favorites

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Recently added byprivate library, LacyLK, lanaday101, cat.crocodile, jtlauderdale, Ev18, Ingo.Lembcke, Jodeneg, motivmkt

English (249)  Dutch (4)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (256)
This writer popped up on my list for books as "other people have bought/lent/stolen this" whenever I searched for certain books or bought a book, so I researched this a bit and finally caved, got a good deal from Amazon.De (after realizing they sell 2 differently priced eBooks of this, I bought the cheaper one), too.
Also I had an Amazon Gift Card from XMas, so I did not really pay for it myself.

Great page-turner, a few nice twists, some romance, a short non-explicit, plain sex-scene.
But also rape, lots of blood and very grizzly murders. Not for the squeamish!

Hm, what to tell about the book without spoiling anything? Could have had more twists, but I can live with that.
The information about Amish and their way of life was very interesting and the thrown in language makes this an interesting read (the words and expressions look like Dutch and/or German, but have often a slightly different, special meaning, having evolved from their origin).
Highly recommended book about a serial killer. Bought the next book in the series instantly.

this might well be my last finished book for 2014.
On Goodreads I have now read and reviewed 107 books with a self-set goal of 104.
In reality, counting novellas as books, I read a few more, some I did not find at Goodreads, or did not review:
read in 2014 gelesen
115 englisch deutsch (English and German books together)
5 deutsch (German)
110 englisch (English)
of these
114 where eBooks (Kindle, ePub converted to Kindle) and
1 Paperback.

I have started quite a few books (12 in 2014, I think) which I have not finished, but also cannot bring myself to count as abandoned ( DNF ), I hope to finish some of them sometime.

Even though this was not work, sometimes you have other things to do, I will not set my goal for 2015 higher but will stay with 104 books. We will see how that turns out. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I always like Linda Castillo. This series especially since I am from Ohio and can relate to many places she mentions. Her books are easy and suspenseful and just plain good. Thank you Linda! ( )
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
“I think most sociopaths are born, not made. Very few are created by life events.” – Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police

It’s a dark, quiet morning, the kind I usually relish while drinking a hot cup of coffee at my kitchen table with warm puppies at my feet. Today, I shiver in my onesie while I wait for my pot of coffee to brew. I’m facing the kitchen window that looks onto the otherwise idyllic, peaceful neighborhood, and thinking about the book I finished reading the day before. I wonder if someone’s secretly peeking back at me, possibly planning to ambush me later in the shower and murder me. Brrrrrr. If you’re planning on reading this, I believe Samuel L. Jackson’s Jurassic Park warning should be heeded: “Hold on to your butts.”

Painters Mill, Ohio–sleepy farming community where a third of the population are Amish. Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police has childhood ties to the community, which come back to haunt her when a string of serial murders resurface after sixteen years. Who is the killer? Why the hiatus? Why the escalation in murders and change in MO? Burkholder and her patchwork team of sidekicks are on the trail, but everyone’s got secrets.

I will be honest. There is something about cozy settings and brutality that fascinates me. Not that anything really shocks us anymore, right? One never really knows who one’s neighbors are. But the idea that something can happen in a quiet, peaceful community is always attention grabbing, and Castillo does an excellent job of really drawing in the reader. She shocks you! Lures you into pacivity, and then assaults you again. You’re never really comfortable reading through this. I may just do something I never do, and jump into the next book in the series. I don’t know if my nerves can handle it this week, but what have I got to lose other than sleep? ( )
  dreamydress48 | Oct 19, 2015 |
I liked this better the second time around. so glad I read this again ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |

Linda Castilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coleman, BillCover landscape photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
istockphoto.com/becc…Cover Amish buggy photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McInerney, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible