Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller by Linda…

Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller (edition 2010)

by Linda Castillo, Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)

Member:Blackfairy71
Title:Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller
Authors:Linda Castillo
Other authors:Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 9, Taschenbuch, 432 Seiten
Collections:Thriller, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

English (266)  Dutch (6)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (275)
Kate is the chief of police in Painters Mill, Ohio, a small town with a large population of Amish. Formerly Amish herself, Kate has long been estranged from her own family. When the dead body of a young woman is found, there appears to be a connection to murders from 16 years ago by a serial killer dubbed ‘The Slaughterhouse Killer’. But Kate is not convinced it’s the same killer – because she killed the Slaughterhouse Killer herself, after he’d come after her. Her family got rid of the body and made a pact of silence. This was a good if not great start to a new series. The characters are well drawn, especially the main character of Kate. The author communicated well the stress the police are under to stop the killer and the pressure Kate feels to keep her long-buried secret. The horrific nature of the crimes inflicted on the victims was a bit more violent than necessary in my opinion, but that’s nothing new in recent crime fiction. The resolution to the mystery was well done; I had no idea who the killer was until the end. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Primo libro della serie di Kate Burkholder. E' il primo della serie e non è per niente male. Il genere è molto simile a quello della Slaughter ma invece di essere ambientato in una grande città è ambientato in un piccolo paese dove Kate è capo della polizia. Gli omicidi sono efferati e il killer è davvero cattivo. Consigliato come al solito agli amanti dei thriller perchè è parecchio sanguinario. ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
I was lucky enough to get Sworn to Silence, the first book in the series cheap as an Ebook after being rejected on NetGalley for Among the Wicked the latest book in the series. So, all and all it was probably for the best since I did enjoy starting this series from the beginning instead of the latest book.

Police chief Kate Burkholder, ex-Amish, has to stop a vicious killer in this book that may be a copycat or a killer that murdered several women 16 years ago. However, she has personal reasons for believing that it has to be another killer. It doesn't get easier for her when her role as police chief is getting questioned as more people are killed while she is trying to figure out who the killer is. Some local people just don't think she is trying hard enough...

I found the book to be very good, and very different from other crime novels. I like that Kate Burkholder has a history with the Amish community and I liked that she is a complex character with a dark past. Also, this case really brought back bad memories for her. The case also brought agent John Tomasetti into her life as he who was hellbent on wrecking his life and career seems to have finally found someone that can get his life back on track. I quite like the chemistry between them.

The case was interesting, is it the same killer or a copycat? What is really going one and what happened to Kate all those years ago? I did, however, figure out the killer when Tomasetti listed the killer profile, it was actually quite easy to do so I thought and then I just kept on reading to see if I was right, and I was. But, it did not take away the enjoyment of reading the book. I still found the book pretty good, despite not being surprised over the killer's identity.

It was a good first book and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I have had this book on my Nook for several years --- why haven't I read it before???? The book is great. The main character is wonderful. She is the chief of police for her small town - but is by no means perfect. The mystery is good - and kept me guessing. There is a little romance - a lot of suspense. I can't wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  peggy.s | Mar 29, 2017 |
After determining that her Amish upbringing was not the way she wanted to live, she left home for the big city. Having served on the police force in Columbus OH both as patrol and as a homicide detective, Kate Burkholder has returned home as the Sheriff of Painters Mill OH.

One wintry night, one of her officers finds a tortured and mutilated young women almost buried in the snow. This crime is eerily reminiscent of similar murders that took place in the area 16 years ago when Kate was a teen. As the bodies begin to stack up, Kate and her team of officers race to stop the cold-blooded, sadistic killer.

This is the first book in the Kate Burkholder series. I really enjoyed the book and intend to continue with the series.

Rating: 4 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 19, 2017 |

Linda Castilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coleman, BillCover landscape photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
istockphoto.com/becc…Cover Amish buggy photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McInerney, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Linda Castillo's book Sworn to Silence was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible