Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller by Linda…

Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller (edition 2010)

by Linda Castillo, Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)

954None9,072 (3.92)122
Member:Blackfairy71
Title:Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller
Authors:Linda Castillo
Other authors:Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 9, Taschenbuch, 432 Seiten
Collections:Thriller, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Recently added bylynnwc, Skindo, private library, RobSchultz, recrawfo, Swade0710, hpl83332, beearedee, sojo817
2009 (14) 2010 (7) 2013 (5) Amish (108) ARC (12) crime (21) crime fiction (11) Early Reviewers (30) ebook (11) female detective (5) fiction (70) first in series (5) Kate Burkholder (12) Kindle (6) murder (24) murder mystery (10) mystery (124) Ohio (59) police (18) police procedural (22) read (14) read in 2009 (19) serial killer (60) series (9) small town (7) suspense (34) thriller (65) to-read (30) USA (5) wishlist (6)

English (237)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (243)
An intriguing main character makes this mystery/thriller stand out. Kate Burkholder was raised Amish, but now she's the police chief for the community that she grew up in. She left her Amish household after an act of violence that has haunted her entire life. When a young women is murdered she--and the other residents of the small community ot Painter's Mill--fear the worst, that a serial murderer has returned. But an incident from Kate's past--an incident she doesn't want anyone to know about--causes her to doubt that theory.
This was an thought provoking mystery, as Kate's complicated past and ability to interact with both the police force and the Amish community made for a story with many different facets to it. Some parts of it didn't ring true to me, but that might be my own bias toward "cozier" Amish stories. There is nothing cozy about this one, the descriptions of the murders are brutal. Fans of mysteries with complex characters should give this series a try! ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was not my cup of tea. Other members have reviewed it in better detail than I will be able to. ( )
  readingnut | Sep 6, 2013 |
Chilling, riveting, dark and disturbing with damaged characters trying to hold it together in the most desperate of circumstances. The inner and external conflict between the Amish and the English is complex, especially as it plays out in the Chief of Police Kate Burkholder who was born Amish. The isolation and the cold icy small town in January echo the desolation of the characters and the evil that is being played out there. It was engrossing and left me wanting more. Perhaps, more than anything, I was left hoping that Kate and John would find redemption. The beginnings of hope appear when each reveals long-held dark secrets that haunt them. The truth begins to set them free, but they have a long journey ahead. I recommend this book for fans of CSI and similar programs. Be forewarned: no gruesome detail is spared and the language is often foul. But if you like edgier books as I do, you will enjoy this thriller. The best part is that Sworn to Silence is the first of an ongoing series featuring this Amish girl turned police chief. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Aug 19, 2013 |
I would have given this book 3 stars, except for the fact that I read the last half of it in one sitting and when a book grabs me like that then I must give it due credit. The police thriller genre is a departure from what I usually read, so I assume it's not fair to critique the writing itself, which would not be a 4 star. The points of view changed so much it gave me whip-lash, from 1st person to 3rd person, many times even within the same chapter. And the verb tense was all over the place as well, which was distracting.

That aside, if you enjoy a good police thriller complete with twists and turns and a psychopathic serial killer, then Sworn to Silence delivers. If you do read a lot in this genre and tend win at Clue, then you'll figure out fairly quickly that it was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick. But Castillo still does a great job at keeping the suspense going even after the killer is revealed. The character development was believable, especially that of the main character, Chief of Police and ex-Amish dweller, Kate Burkholder. She was a likable character (which is important if you're trying to create a series based on a character). The Amish angle lent for some compelling plot twists. Be warned, the crime scene descriptions were graphic, but not gratuitous because it definitely enhanced the suspense in the race to capture the monstrous killer.

I would recommend this book (unless you're a literati). I will be anticipating the next adventure of Kate Burkholder which is supposed to come out in Spring, just in time for beach read season. ( )
1 vote InDreamsAwake | Apr 5, 2013 |
This story was very well done, but two graphic and gruesome for the most part. Not an easy read for any woman. I do want to read the next in the series Breaking Silence. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible