Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller by Linda…

Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller (edition 2010)

by Linda Castillo, Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)

Member:Blackfairy71
Title:Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller
Authors:Linda Castillo
Other authors:Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 9, Taschenbuch, 432 Seiten
Collections:Thriller, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder) by Linda Castillo

English (264)  Dutch (6)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (273)
After determining that her Amish upbringing was not the way she wanted to live, she left home for the big city. Having served on the police force in Columbus OH both as patrol and as a homicide detective, Kate Burkholder has returned home as the Sheriff of Painters Mill OH.

One wintry night, one of her officers finds a tortured and mutilated young women almost buried in the snow. This crime is eerily reminiscent of similar murders that took place in the area 16 years ago when Kate was a teen. As the bodies begin to stack up, Kate and her team of officers race to stop the cold-blooded, sadistic killer.

This is the first book in the Kate Burkholder series. I really enjoyed the book and intend to continue with the series.

Rating: 4 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 19, 2017 |
I was lucky enough to get Sworn to Silence, the first book in the series cheap as an Ebook after being rejected on NetGalley for Among the Wicked the latest book in the series. So, all and all it was probably for the best since I did enjoy starting this series from the beginning instead of the latest book.

Police chief Kate Burkholder, ex-Amish, has to stop a vicious killer in this book that may be a copycat or a killer that murdered several women 16 years ago. However, she has personal reasons for believing that it has to be another killer. It doesn't get easier for her when her role as police chief is getting questioned as more people are killed while she is trying to figure out who the killer is. Some local people just don't think she is trying hard enough...

I found the book to be very good, and very different from other crime novels. I like that Kate Burkholder has a history with the Amish community and I liked that she is a complex character with a dark past. Also, this case really brought back bad memories for her. The case also brought agent John Tomasetti into her life as he who was hellbent on wrecking his life and career seems to have finally found someone that can get his life back on track. I quite like the chemistry between them.

The case was interesting, is it the same killer or a copycat? What is really going one and what happened to Kate all those years ago? I did, however, figure out the killer when Tomasetti listed the killer profile, it was actually quite easy to do so I thought and then I just kept on reading to see if I was right, and I was. But, it did not take away the enjoyment of reading the book. I still found the book pretty good, despite not being surprised over the killers identity.

It was a good first book and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
Sworn to Silence
4.5 Stars

16 years ago, Painter’s Mill, Ohio was in the grips of terror with a vicious serial killer attacking young women and carving Roman numerals into their bodies. The killer disappeared suddenly, but has apparently returned and police chief, Kate Burkholder, must face the ghosts of her past if she is to stop the deaths before they hit too close to home.

A gripping thriller with captivating characters who are all too human. It should be noted that the book contains a high level of violence and numerous grisly descriptions, and may not be for readers with a weaker stomach.

The murder plot is intense and the gritty descriptions heighten the tension and suspense throughout the story, especially during the climax when it is impossible not to wonder just how far things will go. The ending is somewhat predictable and it is relatively easy to figure out the culprit’s identity by following the clues. Nevertheless, Sworn to Silence is an exciting and satisfying read.

Kate Burkholder is a woman caught between two worlds and trying to find where she belongs. She has a strong core of honesty and integrity yet struggles to reconcile her past with her profession as a cop. One aspect that did make me wonder was why she was so convinced that her attacker and the killer were one and the same? I put it down to her Amish background and naiveté of the outside world.

John Tomasetti is just as compelling and the fact that he is not judgmental or hypocritical only adds to his appeal. He is also quite damaged in his own right, which is not unexpected given the tragedy that has befallen him, and seems to have reached a critical point where he needs to decide to give in or move on with his life. He and Kate have an intriguing relationship and it will be interesting to see how it develops in the future.

Castillo does a fantastic job fleshing out the secondary cast whether it be Kate’s fellow officers, the townsfolk, the members of the Amish community, the victims and even the killer. All are people with very human strengths and weaknesses to define them.

In terms of the audio narration, the POV is a mix of 1st person for the main character and 3rd person for secondary characters. Kathleen McInerney's narration is solid and she does a good job with the transitions between POVs. She is particularly good at adding emotional nuance to the voices.

All in all, a thrilling start to the series with just the right mix of action, mystery and romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Chilling, riveting, dark and disturbing with damaged characters trying to hold it together in the most desperate of circumstances. The inner and external conflict between the Amish and the English is complex, especially as it plays out in the Chief of Police Kate Burkholder who was born Amish. The isolation and the cold icy small town in January echo the desolation of the characters and the evil that is being played out there. It was engrossing and left me wanting more. Perhaps, more than anything, I was left hoping that Kate and John would find redemption. The beginnings of hope appear when each reveals long-held dark secrets that haunt them. The truth begins to set them free, but they have a long journey ahead. I recommend this book for fans of CSI and similar programs. Be forewarned: no gruesome detail is spared and the language is often foul. But if you like edgier books as I do, you will enjoy this thriller. The best part is that Sworn to Silence is the first of an ongoing series featuring this Amish girl turned police chief. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Jul 26, 2016 |
I couldn't put it down. Anxious to see if her other novels are as excellent. ( )
  judybooklady | Jun 29, 2016 |

Linda Castilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coleman, BillCover landscape photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
istockphoto.com/becc…Cover Amish buggy photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McInerney, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,228,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible