Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller by Linda…

Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller (edition 2010)

by Linda Castillo, Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)

Title:Die Zahlen der Toten: Thriller
Authors:Linda Castillo
Other authors:Helga Augustin (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2010), Ausgabe: 9, Taschenbuch, 432 Seiten
Collections:Thriller, Your library, Favorites

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder) by Linda Castillo

English (263)  Dutch (5)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (271)
Chilling, riveting, dark and disturbing with damaged characters trying to hold it together in the most desperate of circumstances. The inner and external conflict between the Amish and the English is complex, especially as it plays out in the Chief of Police Kate Burkholder who was born Amish. The isolation and the cold icy small town in January echo the desolation of the characters and the evil that is being played out there. It was engrossing and left me wanting more. Perhaps, more than anything, I was left hoping that Kate and John would find redemption. The beginnings of hope appear when each reveals long-held dark secrets that haunt them. The truth begins to set them free, but they have a long journey ahead. I recommend this book for fans of CSI and similar programs. Be forewarned: no gruesome detail is spared and the language is often foul. But if you like edgier books as I do, you will enjoy this thriller. The best part is that Sworn to Silence is the first of an ongoing series featuring this Amish girl turned police chief. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Jul 26, 2016 |
I couldn't put it down. Anxious to see if her other novels are as excellent. ( )
  judybooklady | Jun 29, 2016 |
This was a very enjoyable read which I gave 4.5 stars. I look forward to continuing thus series. A gritty read but used to great effect and supports the plot without being sensationalist. Good to see a strong female lead and the Amish Community context gave an extra layer to the book. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Sworn to Silence takes place in Painter's Mill, Ohio, a little town in Amish Country. Painter's Mill has not experienced any violent crime for the past sixteen years when the Slaughterhouse Killer suddenly disappeared. Police Chief Kate Burkholder and her force of three rarely have more to do than chase a few cows off the main road until the night one of her officers finds a body in a snowy ditch by the side of the road. Carved in the young woman's nude body were the Roman numerals, XXIII, one of the signatures of the Slaughterhouse Killer.

Kate Burkholder is scared, not just because the Slaughterhouse Killer has returned, but because of her dark and deeply hidden secret. If her past is exposed it will destroy her career and ruin her family's reputation. She was certain the Slaughterhouse Killer was dead but these murders have her doubting what really happened.

Linda Castillo's pace in Sworn to Silence was terrific. I found her main character a little unbelievable at times and the romantic tension between Kate and the BCI officer, John Tomasetti, a little forced. I liked the mystery being set in the Amish community and that Kate had grown up Amish. There are enough plot twists that we don't guess who the Slaughterhouse Killer is until shortly before the author reveals the name. The first few pages hooked me and it became a race to the end. It looks like it's going to be a terrific series and I plan to read them all.
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
Book Description Sworn to Silence is the first in Linda Castillo’s New York Times bestselling Kate Burkholder series.

Some secrets are too terrible to reveal. Some crimes are too unspeakable to solve. . . . In Painters Mill, Ohio, the Amish and “English” residents have lived side by side for two centuries. But sixteen years ago, a series of brutal murders shattered the peaceful farming community. A young Amish girl named Kate Burkholder survived the terror of the Slaughterhouse Killer . . . but ultimately decided to leave her community.

A wealth of experience later, Kate has been asked to return to Painters Mill as chief of police. Her Amish roots and big-city law enforcement background make her the perfect candidate. She’s certain she’s come to terms with her past—until the first body is discovered in a snowy field.

Kate vows to stop the killer before he strikes again. But to do so, she must betray both her family and her Amish past—and expose a dark secret that could destroy her.

My Review This book keeps you interested from the first page and was hard to put down throughout the rest of the book. The characters are well developed and the murders are very graphic which allows you to feel the gruesomeness of this serial killer. Linda Castillo has very good story-telling qualities and I am definitely going to continue with this series. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

Linda Castilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coleman, BillCover landscape photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
istockphoto.com/becc…Cover Amish buggy photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McInerney, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible