The Diary by Eileen Goudge

Title:The Diary
Authors:Eileen Goudge
Info:Vanguard Press (2009), Hardcover, 224 pages

The Diary by Eileen Goudge

A very quick read about how love conquers all. The story begins with a woman dying in a nursing home and her daughters finding her diary from before she married their father. As the daughters read on they believe that their mother was in love with another man before their father and they try to find out more about the story. Nicely done. A tender and touching tale. ( )
  joannemonck | Oct 11, 2016 |
I found this book to be a little predictable and ho-hum, until I got close to the end. Then it was a page turner! There was a twist at the end that I did not expect, which made reading this book well worth it. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
As Elizabeth’s two grown daughters are clearing out her house they come upon a diary their mother kept as a young woman. Knowing they probably should not read it, curiosity gets the better of them and they delve into their mother’s past. Soon enough the work around them is forgotten as their mother’s words transport them (and the reader) back to 1951. Discovering that their mother had a “love of her life” that apparently was not their father comes as a shock. Who was this mystery man their mother had fallen head over heals for?

This was a good, fast read. Very enjoyable and, an interesting surprise in the last few pages.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
When the two grown daughters of Elizabeth Marshall discover an old diary of their mother’s in her attic, it comes as a shock to learn that the true love of Elizabeth’s life was not their father. This is the mystery the two daughters must unravel as they stay up late reading the words penned by Elizabeth so long ago. Their mother can’t give them the answers: After a massive stroke, she lies mute and near death in a nursing home. Only the pages of her diary can provide clues to what really happened. The Diary is a love story. It’s also the story of the unshakable bond between a mother and her daughters. Love the author and have read all her books - also purchased it for my Mom who loved it!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
When Elizabeth Marshall's two grown daughters - Emily and Sarah - discover their mother's old diary stored in her attic, they are stunned to learn that their mother's true love wasn't their father. By reading Elizabeth's private thoughts and feelings about her life, a whole host of questions are kindled in their minds: is all as it seems? This is the mystery that Emily and Sarah must unravel as they stay up late reading the words penned by Elizabeth so many years ago.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth can't give her daughters the answers they so desperately seek. After suffering a massive stroke, she now lies mute and near death in a nursing home. Only the pages of her diary can provide clues as to what really happened.

In a richly detailed journey into the past, young Elizabeth Harvey loses her heart to one man while remaining devoted to another. Finally, she must choose between the devoted and steadfast Bob - who represents loyalty and stability...and the electrifying and unpredictable A. J. - who holds Elizabeth's heart, and who spent time in juvenile detention as a teenager. When a suspicious fire in the neighborhood is linked to A. J., Elizabeth faces another dilemma: she's the only one who can clear A. J.'s name, but to step forward would ruin her reputation. Surprisingly, it is Bob who eventually comes to her rescue, forcing Elizabeth to make perhaps the most painful decision of her life...

The Diary by Eileen Goudge is an intricate love story. However, it is also the story of the unshakable bond of love between a mother and her daughters. This is actually the third book by Eileen Goudge that I've read, and I must say that in my opinion, she really is an excellent writer. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I like stories about families; and specifically stories about relationships between mothers and daughters. I appreciated that Ms. Goudge's characters were so vulnerable - they each really resonated with me, and I found myself sympathizing with all of them. I give this book an A+! and look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Aug 5, 2014 |

When the two grown daughters of Elizabeth Marshall discover an old diary of their mother's in her attic, it comes as a shock to learn that the true love of Elizabeth's life was not their father.

Eileen Goudge is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,307,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible