Personal History by Katharine Graham

Personal History (edition 1998)

by Katharine Graham

Member:batman100
Title:Personal History
Authors:Katharine Graham
Info:Vintage (1998), Paperback, 688 pages

Personal History by Katharine Graham

Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff (Menagerie)
    Menagerie: Two strong women that lived centuries apart but faced many of the same obstacles.

Clearly Graham was a publisher and NOT an editor. She badly needed editing! I struggled through it for book club, but when a second book club also chose it, I opted not to re-read it or even attend that discussion. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 10, 2016 |
She took a chance. She made it work. A tale of one woman's journey into publishing. Interesting anecdotes about her relationships with Warren Buffet, Truman Capote, JFK, and LBJ, and her experiences as she learned the ropes of running a communications empire. She pushed herself through various struggles in some very difficult years, but then she was very wealthy too so I guess "struggle" becomes rather relative. Nevertheless, it makes for a fascinating read. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
An awesome autobiography by an awesome woman who grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth but with little understanding of how the world worked. Yet when she was put in the position of running her company, The Washington Post, she did admirably well. Not that she was without anxiety much of the time but she made good judgments and performed and brought the company to new heights. I admire her and am so glad that I read the book which was a page turner. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Feb 14, 2014 |
It goes to show that you can be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but can still have some serious shit layed on your plate. The proof in the pudding is how you move ahead, and handle it. Well written and honest in the way good journalism should be. Recommend it for everyone. ( )
  Elpaca | Jul 17, 2013 |
A Who's Who of nearly everyone. But the best parts were when Katharine described what it was like to support a mentally ill spouse before women really had any say in marital decisions. ( )
  Mortybanks | May 28, 2013 |
I would like to dedicate this book to the most important people in it:
my parents, Eugene and Agnes Meyersm
my husband, Philip L. Graham,
my children, Elizabeth (Lally) Weymouth, and Donald, William and Stephen Graham
My parents' paths first crossed in a museum on 23rd Street in New York.
ISBN 0736636978 and 0736636986 are an unabridged audio book in two containers; Read by Francis Cassidy.

Biography

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375701044, Paperback)

In lieu of an unrevealing Famous-People-I-Have-Known autobiography, the owner of the Washington Post has chosen to be remarkably candid about the insecurities prompted by remote parents and a difficult marriage to the charismatic, manic-depressive Phil Graham, who ran the newspaper her father acquired. Katharine's account of her years as subservient daughter and wife is so painful that by the time she finally asserts herself at the Post following Phil's suicide in 1963 (more than halfway through the book), readers will want to cheer. After that, Watergate is practically an anticlimax.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

The longtime owner of the Washington Post recounts her experiences, including how she rebounded from her husband's suicide to command the Post during Vietnam and Watergate

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible