Lost Boys by Kaname Itsuki

Lost Boys (2004)

by Kaname Itsuki

Mizuki has been spirited off by a Peter-Pan-type-figure, Air, to act as a father for the Lost Boys. Really, that bit of the plot is quickly dropped, though, because Mizuki is really just kind of grumpy and wants to go home. And so Mizuki tries to find a way to do this, whilst Air tries to find ways to make him happier so he might stay.

I was avoiding this as while on one hand I dislike that most yaoi reuse the same plots in the same settings over and over without any attempt at originality, I also think the 'make it a retelling of a fairy tale' way of trying to make a yaoi a little different is usually the option of the uncreative and lazy. I CAN be done well, but most of the time, besides for the cheap originality points, they just seem to use the setting/plot as a frame so they don't have to make their own.

And I had a pleasant surprise here, as in this manga that isn't really the case. I think the author did a pretty good job of taking Peter Pan, using some nice elements from it, but putting their own characters in and letting them shape the story. It's hardly going to hold any candles to most other better-than-decent adaptations of fairy tales, but for a yaoi, just this much is kind of impressive.

However, I didn't really care for the romance side of things. Mizuki is rather bland. He's got the stock kind of personality often given to normal guys suddenly in fantastical situations, always some sort of mix of nice and exasperated, and never so exasperated that it'll cause any trouble or hurt feelings. He could have been a decent if uninteresting half of a good yaoi couple if the other half is more interesting, but Air is nothing but a ball of concentrated genki fluff. He's even less mature than the original Peter Pan, and he's also at least visually a good bit younger than Mizuki. Maybe this will appeal more to shota fans, then. For me, though, even more than the slight squick of the visual age difference, the complete difference in mentalities, one character a college student perhaps, the other clearly a child and frankly a rather empty-headed one at that, made the romance displayed between the two utterly unbelievable to me.

If you don't mind the visual/mental age difference, though, as well as not minding the kind of romance where two guys are around each other a while and then find themselves in love without much...psychological backing, I guess...then this, with it's fun fantasy setting, might appeal to you. I kind of want to give this manga a higher rating just for not using the Peter Pan thing as crappily as most yaoi manga would. Still, I can't really bring myself to do it when the main point of the thing, the romance, left me so cold. I'll give it a blip better than average, though. ( )
2 vote narwhaltortellini | Jun 16, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible