The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia by Peter…

The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia

by Peter Dendle

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a comprehensive encyclopedia of zombie movies, with astute observations in the synopses. Better yet, the introduction has a great overview of the movei genre. I'm no stranger to zombie movies, but there was plenty to learn in the intro. It's a nice cred factor to have it on your bookshelf, but it's also a great read.
  sonyagreen | Apr 19, 2013 |
Why read: Received for review from LibraryThing Early Reviewers

What impressed me: I enjoyed that Dendle put his own voice and opinions in the reviews. It felt more personal that most movie encyclopedia reviews.

What disappointed me: The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia is terribly out of date. Why publish a book in 2010 if you haven't updated the information since it was first published in 2001? A huge amount of zombie movies have been released in that time period, all of which would be of interest to zombie movie fans. Reading the reviews, Dendle often sounds like he really doesn't like the genre. He favors a few classics, but for the most part the reviews are negative, telling potential viewers not to waste their time.

Recommended: No. I'd recommend reading any other zombie film review book as they would most likely be more up-to-date and written by someone who actually enjoys the films. ( )
  TequilaReader | Mar 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very informative. Found out about a ton of movies I never heard of. Alot of off the radar movies that are hard to find. Good read ( )
  chenninger | Jun 27, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first thing I do with a book like this, which is essentially a list of zombie movies, is to flip through the book, find all the movies I've seen, read the descriptions, and finally, check them off the list. I did not read the rest of the book; that's not how I work. I will, however, continue to read the book as I work my way through watching the rest of the movies mentioned within.

I found the descriptions I did read to be entertaining and contain a healthy dose of intelligent criticism. Dendle points out potential interpretations of my favorite zombie movies, which I had not considered before, making me think about many of these movies in a new way. This raises it above just a list of movies with descriptions, to making it something more worthwhile, something I'm definitely looking forward to eventually completing.

Considering that this book is being republished in 2010, however, a huge disparaging oversight is that The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia was not updated since its first publication. The listings only include movies up to 1999, and there have been a plethora of new zombie movies since them, such as Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and so many more. I'm even more disappointed in this after reading a portion of the book, as it would have been fascinating to know what Dendle thought of the recent influx of zombie movies. ( )
  andreablythe | Jun 27, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I love movie reference books in general, But I really love books that cover horror movies. This is one of my faves. While it is not even close to being a complete zombie movie reference guide, It is one of the better ones out there. Peter Dendle is obviously a zombie fan. It of course is not perfect, there are quite a few movies in here that I would not even come close to classifying it as A zombie film (Weekend At Bernies 2, Deadly Friend & Hellgate to name a few). But all in all it is a really good book if you are into zombie movies or horror movies in general. ( )
  NickKnight | Jun 26, 2011 |

Zombies are cautionary forms of humankind's most universally cherished ideal--life after death. Often ragged, unkempt, ill-spoken, rotting individuals, zombies (or the post-dead) seem socially awkward in comparison to the more popular and more aristocratic, undead, like Count Dracula and his peers. And so, the humble zombie remains, for the most part, unappreciated and unacknowledged--until now. No longer will films devoted to them be buried in the last pages of horror movie guides. The exhumation of zombie films from obscurity is accomplished in terrifying detail in The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia. The first exhaustive overview of the subject, this book evaluates over 200 movies from 16 countries over a 65-year period starting from the early 1930s. It mostly treats feature-length films, covering everything from large studio productions to backyard videography, but also touches on memorable episodes of television series and miscellaneous shorts. Lengthy entries point out interesting or innovative features of the zombie portrayal in each movie, while an introduction traces the evolution of the genre and interprets the broader significance of the zombie in contemporary Western mythology. Productions credits, a brief plot summary, and alternate titles accompany each entry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Dendle's book The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible