Extremis by Barry Eisler

Extremis

by Barry Eisler

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All (16)
I totally love hanging out with John Rain and his entourage!!! Since the mid nineties, my favorite fictional character has been Ridley Pearson's "Lou Boldt". I have so many other characters that I like, but none ever surpassed Lou Boldt. Now though, Boldt shares his pedestal with John Rain. Thank you so much, Mr. Eisler!! ( )
  briellenadyne | Jan 23, 2017 |
Eisler writes all-consuming action-packed thrillers with a main character (John Rain) who pops off the page. As an assassin who loves jazz and rare single-malt scotch, Rain has his blind spots - usually women. With Barcelona, NYC and Tokyo as a backdrop, this one does not disappoint. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
First, I should disclose this isn't a genre I usually read, which probably contributed to me not being totally drawn in and hence paying more attention to writing technique decisions. The author will be speaking at a conference I'm attending, so I wanted to get familiar with his work.

The first thing that struck me was, for an action book, the action seemed to take a long time to start. I'm surprised we weren't shown danger more immediately. I also noticed long passages with no dialogue, just a single character pondering the situation. This may have been intended as a change of pace but instead struck me as telling, not showing. I disliked the switching viewpoints, or at least the handling of them. (Gillian Flynn did an impressive job of this in Gone Girl; here, it feels clumsy).

That said, I imagine if you are an existing fan of this author or the series, there is every reason for you to enjoy this book. I really liked Delilah, and the scenes when the sumo wrestlers first enter the plot were witty and enjoyable. I didn't care for the outcome for those characters, but that again is simply a reflection of my reading taste.

This book seems also to be known by an alternate title, Extremis. ( )
  paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
John Rain has an unusual profession - he's a paid assassin. And he is very good at his job. But this assignment is a little different. Instead of being hired to kill some high-profile crime boss, he is out to protect his own family. Traveling from Barcelona to Tokyo to NYC, Rain sets out to outsmart some very powerful people in the Yakuza crime syndicate. The pacing of this book is fast and furious - very fun to listen to and hard to put down. I was especially amazed at the amount of realistic detail in the book about how Rain would scope out a location or plan a mission. So much detail that it made me wonder what about Barry Eisler's background. Sure enough, he used to work for the CIA. Great mystery! ( )
  jmoncton | May 28, 2014 |
Listened to the audio book. Plot and writing were too formulaic. ( )
  patriciamoss | May 28, 2013 |
For my brother and sister, Alan and Judith
I've never liked doing a job in a new place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451412400, Mass Market Paperback)

When freelance assassin John Rain learns that his former lover has been raising their child in New York, he senses a chance for reconciliation, perhaps even redemption. But Midori is being watched by Rain's enemies, and Rain's sudden appearance puts mother and child in mortal danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:05 -0400)

Hoping to reconcile with the mother of his child, reluctant contract killer John Rain inadvertently places them in the path of dangerous enemies and is forced to recruit the help of his nemesis from the Japanese FBI and an ex-Marine sniper.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,121,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible