Just In Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish…

Just In Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book (edition 2008)

by Yuyi Morales, Yuyi Morales (Illustrator)

2045557,485 (3.77)None
Member:vicmelen
Title:Just In Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book
Authors:Yuyi Morales
Other authors:Yuyi Morales (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:make believe, presents, party, abc, Spanish alphabet, Hispanic

Just In Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book by Yuyi Morales

Just in Case centers around Señor Calvera who is trying to find a perfect present for Grandma Beetle's birthday. He is assisted by the ghost of Grandpa Zelmiro who convinces him to get one present for each letter of the alphabet. By the time they reach Z, Señor Calvera has dropped all the gifts. He panics because it is almost the end of Grandma Beetle's birthday party and he still does not have a gift. Grandpa Zelmiro tells him that he begins with a Z and that he would be the perfect birthday present. He is then brought back to life and reunited with Grandma Beetle.

This is a beautifully drawn book that accompanies a very creative and original tale. The story is funny and it incorporates the Spanish language and the alphabet. It is a book that I think most children would enjoy because of its whimsy and illustrations. ( )
  fchloe1 | Mar 16, 2017 |
In my opinion this is a fantastic book for many reasons. One being that it is multicultural. Another being that it is multi-lingual as well, bringing a combination of Spanish and English throughout the book. Lastly, it is a sweet story of a Skelton trying to get to a Grandma Beetle's party, who struggles to find the perfect present. So, he goes through the alphabet listing different objects in Spanish, explaining them in English. I won't tell you anymore about the story though because you have to read it for yourself! However, I did feel that some of the Spanish words used could be confusing to children not exposed to the language or culture. Yet, the book was so special and unique, helping children learn the alphabet, while also learning culture. I would suggest that prior to reading the book, have the class engage in activities that involve the Spanish words in the book so when reading the book they are able to get excited that they know what it means !! This is definitely a higher elementary grade level book but it could work as a challenging book for the lower levels. The book's illustrations were very good representations of the words on the page, which made it easier to understand the unknown words!! For example when the word was Granizado ( A snow cone flavored with syrup), the main character, Senor Calavera was eating a snow cone that was dripping from the syrup. The plot was also very organized, it made me want to turn the page because I wanted to see what was going to happen next. As, I read I also made predictions on what was going to happen, something that I did without even thinking, which to me makes the book that much better! Overall, the book was exciting and definitely a page turner, would recommend!! ( )
  mscanl1 | Feb 20, 2017 |
This book is about a skeleton who is going to Grandma Beetle's birthday party but forgets to bring a present. Senor Zelmiro eggs him on to get different presents when in the end you find out he is Grandma Beetle's dead husband and he wants to go back to her. This is a good tale because there is cultural things but also there are aspects which are fantasy like skeletons don't walk around and go to parties and can't bring back dead people. Intermediate and primary. ( )
  SkyD17 | Feb 9, 2017 |
I enjoyed the uniqueness of this book. I, myself, could not make a prediction of what Senior Calavera, a skeleton, should get Grandma Beetle for her birthday. The story goes through the spanish alphabet when Calavera is naming to a ghost all the present he considered bringing. The ghost continued to ask, "Are they what Grandma Beetle would love the most?" Finally, Calavera knows what Grandma Beetle would love the most: the ghost, Grandpa Zelmiro! This book would be great for spanish class. It is filled with vocabulary and incorporates the spanish alphabet. I got somewhat lost when the ghost came back to life, but I appreciated the feel good ending. ( )
  rmwinter | Feb 9, 2017 |
This book is about a skeleton who is going to his human friends birthday party. On his way a ghost helps him acquire some Spanish alphabetical presents which he ends up losing. He realizes that the best present of all is to bring her husband (the ghost helping him) with him as her present. This is a great example of fantasy because it holds together, is believable, the characters and relatable, and it has a magical element because of the interactive skeleton.
FANTASY ( )
  bjacobsen15 | Feb 3, 2017 |

As Senor Calavera prepares for Grandma Beetle's birthday he finds an alphabetical assortment of unusual presents, but with the help of Zelmiro the Ghost, he finds the best gift of all.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,376,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible