Lovers and Liars by Josephine Cox

Lovers and Liars

by Josephine Cox

2005 (1) 2011 (1) 101767 (1) 6.99GBP (1) AF (1) AFFAM (1) Audio CD (abridged) (1) B4 or 14? (1) English (1) fiction (5) General (1) GF (1) historical romance (1) misery (1) modern (1) Newport (1) novel (1) paperback (1) Reading Pile (1) reread (1) romance (1) sell (1) to-read (1)

I originally read this book back in 2005. It came highly recommended by a friend so I expected it to be an excellent read. Unfortunately I was disappionted.

Having recently listened to the abridged audio book version, read by Carole Boyd, I am of the opinion that the book benefits from being abridged. However, I still found the style a bit simplistic and uninspiring. The characters were good in parts, but very predictable. And I was frustrated at how Emily and John pined after each other like lost sheep for year after endless year. I just wanted to give them a good kick and for them to get over their teenage crushes and get on with life.

It's a hard book to review without giving too much away, so I will just say that young lovers, Emily and John are forced apart by cruel circumstances, but they don't forget each other. The story follows their lives after their separation and we are wondering how this impossible situation can be resolved. It is set at the beginning of the last century and is full of atmospheric descriptions of life at that time, probably the highlight of the book for me.

I have another JC audio-book to listen to, perhaps I will enjoy that more. She seems to be a highly recommende ( )
  DubaiReader | Nov 23, 2011 |
Josephine Cox is the author of many books, her latest being The Loner. I picked Lovers And Liars up on my most recent trip to Chapters in Barrie. I was looking to pick up some more books from authors I’ve never read anything by before. After reading the back of the book, I thought it sounded interesting enough.Lovers And Liars is a love story that takes place in the early twentieth century. I thought it was an alright read, with good characters. However like all love stories, the book was just to predictable. I found myself wanting to read on to see if John and Emily would find their way back to one another in the end. But other then that there was not much to the book. The love scenes were boring. He touched her breast. They made love. It was beautiful, Blah…Blah…Blah!:oops: Come on. The small details make a book so much more interesting.As I finish up this review. It makes me ask the question about love scenes in romance novels. How important are the details? Do more explicit sex scenes make a love story more real? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject. ( )
  chrissywest | Jan 9, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060525479, Mass Market Paperback)

Their love was as young and hopeful as the new century ...

Emily Ramsden knows that her feelings for John Hanley go far beyond teenage infatuation. It is love, pure, strong, and as glorious as the surrounding English countryside, and John shares her passion with all his heart. But soon the young man Emmie adores is violently driven from her, leaving her to struggle beneath the thumb of a brutal, domineering father ... and at the mercy of a man with dark ambitions.

Yet, through years of heartbreak and pain, through the crushing trials of a life left in tatters, the memory of a promise will never fade from Emmie's mind. And when all hope seems withered and dead, one word reignites a long smoldering ember, sending a determined woman off on a remarkable search for a once-in-a-lifetime love lost but never forgotten.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Denied the man she loves and dominated by a brutal father, Emily is devastated when her father's farmhand rapes her. A baby is born and as she grows, Emily's tormentor is drawn to her daughter in a sinister way. Years pass and news of the man she loves reaches her, sending her in search of him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,436,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible