All Over The World And Other Stories…

All Over The World And Other Stories (Planetary, Book 1) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Warren Ellis, John Cassaday (Illustrator)

Title:All Over The World And Other Stories (Planetary, Book 1)
Authors:Warren Ellis
Other authors:John Cassaday (Illustrator)
Info:WildStorm Productions (2000), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Tags:comic, speculative

Planetary: All Over The World and Other Stories by Warren Ellis (2000)

English (17)  Swedish (1)  All languages (18)
Issue #27 finally came out, & I dug up my back issues & read the series from start to finish because I wanted to get a sense of the narrative arc since this tale was 10 YEARS in the making.

The Verdict: this is one of the most brilliant extended storylines I've ever encounters. It will stand the test of time, up there with Watchmen and others of the 'hero' genre.

PLANETARY is ultimately a holographic version of the Arabian Nights; it can be read as hero-noir, pastiche/tribute to the history of comic books & pulp & pop culture, delightful space-time science theoretical exploration, or a personal story of redemption and revenge.

I was amazed that Ellis found a way to keep his narrative tone & pacing in tune over the course of 27 issues & 10 years-- that in itself is to be lauded. ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
I love this series. Ellis always manages to see things just askew of the norm and break it open. ( )
  MuzLibrary | May 16, 2015 |
Boring, run-of-the-mill superhero book. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
Uncle. I'm Hooked.

Picked this up volume after perusing information about it on the Internets that got my spider-sense tingling. Good ol' spider-sense.

What do we have here? Pulp heroes. The Justice League of America (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). Giant Japanese monsters. The Fantastic Four (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). The Secret History Of The Twentieth Century. What's not to love? (Assuming you're not one of WildStorm's lawyers; they were probably kept rather busy with this one.)

Yes, this sort of thing has been done before (Phil Farmer's Wold Newton tales being the most obvious antecedent). Yes, it could be hopelessly cornball and banal (and could certainly turn out to be - I've only just read Vol. 1, y'know). But it really seems that Messrs. Ellis and Cassaday are doing their own thing with this one, and I certainly plan on tuning in for future installments.

PS Did I mention the artwork's really great? No? Oh. The artwork's really great. Thought you might want to know. ( )
1 vote artturnerjr | Jun 5, 2014 |
Planetary, an organization of "mystery archaeologists," seek out the truth behind the secret history of the world. A three-person team, along with a fourth invisible financial backer, travel the globe looking into the stories that might bring some form of revelation towards their mission. If that doesn't get you interested, how about the fact that Ellis blends some of the greatest pulp and comic characters of the past into the story as the reasons for this history being a big secret.

The Planetary investigative team is just as much a mystery, when we meet them, they don't know how long their organization has even been operational, much less the full purpose of it.

As they investigate, we see Ellis' world, based around the classic pulp heroes of the 30s, classic Japanese kaiju, Hong Kong action, and even Golden and Silver Age comic heroes, with a unique twist that makes this world absolutely fascinating to learn about just as the Planetary field team does. ( )
  regularguy5mb | May 26, 2014 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Coffee tastes like your dog took a leak in it.

This first collection of Earth-shattering adventures from Windstorm stars a team of super-powered archaeologists who have uncovered evidence of super-human activity that spans the centuries. The team includes the ancient -- and incredibly powerful -- Elijah Snow, hot-tempered Jakita Wagner, and the seemingly insane Drummer, as they deal with the abrupt appearance of a new mountain range in America and the shocking truth behind the near-destruction of the planet by the gods, which happened in 1950!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible