Planetary Vol. 2: The Fourth Man by Warren…

Planetary Vol. 2: The Fourth Man (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Warren Ellis, John Cassaday

Member:blakslaks
Title:Planetary Vol. 2: The Fourth Man
Authors:Warren Ellis
Other authors:John Cassaday
Info:Wildstorm (2001), Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****

Planetary: The Fourth Man by Warren Ellis (2001)

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All (9)
Issue #27 finally came out, & I dug up my back issues & read the series from start to finish because I wanted to get a sense of the narrative arc since this tale was 10 YEARS in the making.

The Verdict: this is one of the most brilliant extended storylines I've ever encounters. It will stand the test of time, up there with Watchmen and others of the 'hero' genre.

PLANETARY is ultimately a holographic version of the Arabian Nights; it can be read as hero-noir, pastiche/tribute to the history of comic books & pulp & pop culture, delightful space-time science theoretical exploration, or a personal story of redemption and revenge.

I was amazed that Ellis found a way to keep his narrative tone & pacing in tune over the course of 27 issues & 10 years-- that in itself is to be lauded. ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
I'm not sure what I like best about this volume. The Constantine story is, perhaps, a little too obvious for my taste, with its dramatization of the cultural clash between golden age comic book heroics and the darker style of comics in the 90s, but it's still fun. The continuation of the overarching story involving the Four is well-developed, with the revelation of the identity of the Fourth Man proving to be unexpected, while still making perfect sense.

But I think my favorite part of this volume was the rather straight-forward retelling of the Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman stories. Yes, on the one hand, they're almost exactly the same as the usual DC canon, but by changing slight details, Ellis manages to remind us of just how alien these all-American heroes really are. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
I thought I should give this series another chance to impress me. This second installment of the Planetary series was better than the first. I recognised more of the comics in-jokes and references (eg. Sandman, V for Vendetta, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Superman, John Constantine, Swamp Thing) but this is still one mostly for afficionados. The plot was more focused in this installment, mostly centered around Elijah Snow's missing memories. However the stories still happen to the characters rather than them being actively engaged, and I find this off-putting. In spite of Planetary's willingness to mine all sorts of comics and literary history for material, it still will not cross the forbidden D.C./Marvell line, even by allusion. ( )
1 vote questbird | Oct 15, 2012 |
The second collection of comics featuring Planetary, a team of "mystery archeologists" on a mission to investigate "the secret history of the world." My opinion on the first volume was that I liked the concept, loved the artwork, found the characters potentially interesting, and enjoyed the way it played around with pop culture tropes, but thought the stories were far too slight, making the whole thing a little disappointing. Well, I do not have that problem with this volume. The first two chapters here do have much the same kind of structure as the stories in the first collection, but they seemed more satisfying to me, as they managed to successfully give the impression of offering windows into a much wider world. A weird, wonderful, horrible, and fascinating world. And then things suddenly get very, very dense, to the extent that I don't think I understood half of what was going on. But that's OK; I don't think I'm entirely supposed to yet, and if I'm confused, I'm also intrigued. And if I liked the way the first installment played around with the pop culture tropes... Well, this one delights in taking comics and B-movies and pulp fiction and all kinds of other familiar stories and not just playing around with them but warping and distorting them like taffy into freakish and often darkly humorous shapes.

At this point, I have absolutely no idea what to make of it all, or whether any of it will make sense in the end. But I do know I want to see more of it. ( )
  bragan | Feb 20, 2012 |
This held up to the earlier Planetary episodes but was sometimes frustrating in it's "mysteriousness". There's a great issue which is a kind of what-if homage to a couple DC heroes who are not actually named. It's so creepy that I can't stop thinking about it. It's rare that I read something that powerful. I'm very interested in where this is story is going and can't wait to get the 3rd installment. ( )
  ragwaine | Mar 18, 2011 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Layman, JohnEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, LauraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baron, DavidColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikolavitch, AlexTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whedon, JossIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stuart Green, Dave Elliott, Marie Javins, and the memory of Archie Goodwin. Without these four, I wouldn't be writing this. So now you know who to blame. And for Niki and Lili, because they've put up with me in the long trip from there to here. - Warren
During the year in which this art was built, I experienced a great spectrum of personal peaks. Page for page, this book will always remind me of that year and its towering highs and abysmal lows. And what I found along the way. So, thank you for it, Lisa. Thank you for it all. I'll miss you. - John
Jack Carter's dead.

Three people with extraordinary powers investigate the unsolved mysteries, crimes and disasters of the world, uncovering the secret history ofthe planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible