El Violí d'Auschwitz by Maria Àngels…

El Violí d'Auschwitz (original 1994; edition 2008)

by Maria Àngels Anglada

Member:MarionaGeliA
Title:El Violí d'Auschwitz
Authors:Maria Àngels Anglada
Info:Barcelona : Columna, 2008
Collections:Obres de/o sobre M Àngels Anglada
Rating:*****
Tags:Novel.la, Holocaust

The Auschwitz Violin by Maria Angels Anglada (1994)

Playing for Time by Fania Fénelon (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: The story of one of the real members of the Auschwitz Orchestra.

English (36)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
rabck from hostile17; Quick read. Very sparsely, tightly written book about a violin maker in a concentration camp, who is given the task of creating a violin for the camp's commander. The violin survived the war, and a friend bought it from the commanders things - and it's now played by the violin maker's adopted daughter. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 4, 2014 |
Pensavo fosse più malinconico e invece è più o meno una descrizione di come si costruisce un violino ad Auschwitz...non mi è piaciuto tanto! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I've been meaning to read this one for a while. It's a quick read, though that's partially because it got no hooks into me. I didn't really want to linger over it. It's a simple story, set amid the horrors of the Second World War, with a Jewish violin maker as the central character.

It manages to evoke that atmosphere reasonably well, but not so much the characters. I couldn't link up with Daniel and feel for him. Maybe it was the fact that I had to read this in translation -- very few translators I've ever read can fully capture the tone and intent of the original story -- or maybe it was an unwillingness to engage with a bleak story on a lovely warm day. I don't know, but I was left unmarked by this one, and to be honest an effective book about WWII shouldn't leave the reader unmarked.

Nothing against it, but no passion for it either. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
When I was at school I read I Am David and it is a book that has stayed with me for years. I bought a copy as an adult and read it again - to me, it was just as moving despite my extra years. Perhaps even because of them. I have a feeling that The Auschwitz Violin will have a similar impact on the current generation.

This is an incredibly moving tale of a violin maker - or luthier - who is interred in a Nazi camp during World War II. Although he tells the officials he is a carpenter by profession, a chance encounter leads to his real profession of luthier being revealed. I don't want to give too much about the story away - there is a real beauty in how it unfolds - but his talent brings him to the attention of some of the higher camp officials and a cruel bet means he needs to draw on everything he has learned in order to save his own life.

The Auschwitz Violin is beautifully told from the point of view of a quiet, hard-working prisoner. Daniel shows a quiet strength - he is unwilling to be broken by the cruelty of the camp's guards or the barbarity of the rituals but he is also wise and knows when to speak and when to stay silent. This is a short book - a mere short episode in the life of Daniel - and is almost a snapshot of a barbaric and heartbreaking time; however, it is no less poignant for that. I thought this was an immensely touching read and I felt a real lump in my throat as I reach the book's conclusion. I know this - like I Am David - will stay with me for many years. ( )
  donnambr | Jan 12, 2013 |
An interesting novella, translated from Catalan and apparently by a revered Catalan author. The story is about how a man survives the horror of a concentration camp by crafting a violin for the camp's commandant. It is about hope and friendships, art and beauty and while I was moved by the story I do think that perhaps the translation left a little to be desired. ( )
  PennyAnne | Nov 2, 2012 |

Maria Angels Angladaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez Baixeras, XavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torres, VeronicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the victims

In memoriam
I always have trouble falling asleep after I perform at a concert.
Guard Duty, Ghetto 6
Litzmannstadt, December 1, 1942
Incident:  use of firearm
On December 1, 1941, I was on duty at guard post 4 on Hobensteinerstrasse from 1400 hrs. until 1600 hrs.

In the winter of 1991, at a concert in Krakow, an older woman with a marvelously pitched violin meets a fellow musician who is instantly captivated by her instrument. When he asks her how she obtained it, she reveals the remarkable story behind its origin. . . . Imprisoned at Auschwitz, the notorious concentration camp, Daniel feels his humanity slipping away. Treasured memories of the young woman he loved and the prayers that once lingered on his lips become hazier with each passing day. Then a visit from a mysterious stranger changes everything, as Daniel’s former identity as a crafter of fine violins is revealed to all. The camp’s two most dangerous men use this information to make a cruel wager: If Daniel can build a successful violin within a certain number of days, the Kommandant wins a case of the finest burgundy. If not, the camp doctor, a torturer, gets hold of Daniel. And so, battling exhaustion, Daniel tries to recapture his lost art, knowing all too well the likely cost of failure. Written with lyrical simplicity and haunting beauty — and interspersed with chilling, actual Nazi documentation — The Auschwitz Violin is more than just a novel: It is a testament to the strength of the human spirit and the power of beauty, art, and hope to triumph over the darkest adversity.

Jewish violin maker Daniel endures the inhuman conditions of Auschwitz by doing carpentry work and is directed by the camp commander to craft a perfect violin or forfeit his life.

Legacy Library: Maria Àngels Anglada

Maria Àngels Anglada has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Maria Àngels Anglada's legacy profile.

See Maria Àngels Anglada's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Violin of Auschwitz by Maria Àngels Anglada was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,257,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible