The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

The Audacity of Hope (edition 2006)

by Barack Obama

Member:BetteBright
Title:The Audacity of Hope
Authors:Barack Obama
Info:Three Rivers (2006), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:*****

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama

English (125)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Arabic (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (133)
I love his easy, erudite writing style. My first introduction to Obama in-depth and what ultimately made me decide to support his election. ( )
  AlisonLea | Jan 10, 2015 |
I listened to this back at the start of 2013. From what I can remember:
- a couple of really good quotes
- a decent primer on American politics and how it works
- a reading voice (the author) I would happily listen to for hours
- a distinctly non-pompous, "everyman" tone
- surprising honesty about personality types (introversion/extraversion) and the difficulties of sharing childcare responsibilities
I'd definitely recommend it. I'm very tempted to read Dreams from my Father now. ( )
  readingwithtea | Dec 24, 2014 |
Well written book. I am not a fan of BO by any means but this book was well written. I find many of his conclusions about how American can do better to be unrealistic and perfectly in line with his ultra-liberal mindset. He lays out his agenda for all to see and when it comes time for him to implement it he does what he criticizes by acting unilaterally without consent or thought of those in the minority. I found that a lot of his "principles" to be very superficial and one can only hope that was just the writing but his actions now as president prove that he just is what the book portrays him to be. ( )
  gopfolk | Aug 8, 2014 |
The first three chapters of this book are so eloquently written, it almost brought me to tears. The same is for the chapter entitled 'Family'. The man can write.

He's definitely a democrat and doesn't apologize for it, but at the same time he recognizes the limitations and faults of his party and (at least sometimes) shows and ability to 'cross the aisle' and seems to sincerely want to make America a better place.

The chapter 'Race' spoke to me less, but perhaps that is because I am an upper-middle class woman. I would have liked to have seen more recognition of the roadblocks that women face, though this is touched upon in the 'Family' chapter.

I feel like whatever side of the aisle you are from - there is something in here for you. He writes about what he knows - the black and minority struggle is a consistent theme. At the same time he doesn't unabashedly and completely tear down every conservative idea, though there is heavy criticism on the Bush administration and certain laws passed through Congress at the time of the writing.

The cynical part of me wonders whether or not this book was written anticipating a run for the Presidency. But if these are his true convictions - which I like to believe that they are - I think that we can all agree he has some truly great ideas for America - some of which everyone can relate to.

Excellent book. Recommended for everyone. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
The writing itself is good, but I found the content kind of dull and blandly centrist. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Barack Obama, the junior senator from Illinois and the Democratic Party’s new rock star, is that rare politician who can actually write — and write movingly and genuinely about himself.

Barack Obamaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dierlamm, HelmutTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the women who raised me - my maternal grandmother, Tutu, who's been a rock of stability throughout my life, and my mother, whose loving spirit sustains me still.
On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement.
It's been almost ten years since I first ran for political office.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307455874, Mass Market Paperback)

Barack Obama's first book, Dreams from My Father, was a compelling and moving memoir focusing on personal issues of race, identity, and community. With his second book The Audacity of Hope, Obama engages themes raised in his keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, shares personal views on faith and values and offers a vision of the future that involves repairing a "political process that is broken" and restoring a government that has fallen out of touch with the people. We had the opportunity to ask Senator Obama a few questions about writing, reading, and politics--see his responses below. --Daphne Durham 20 Second Interview: A Few Words with Barack Obama

Q: How did writing a book that you knew would be read so closely by so many compare to writing your first book, when few people knew who you were?
A: In many ways, Dreams from My Father was harder to write. At that point, I wasn't even sure that I could write a book. And writing the first book really was a process of self-discovery, since it touched on my family and my childhood in a much more intimate way. On the other hand, writing The Audacity of Hope paralleled the work that I do every day--trying to give shape to all the issues that we face as a country, and providing my own personal stamp on them.

Q: What is your writing process like? You have such a busy schedule, how did you find time to write?
A: I'm a night owl, so I usually wrote at night after my Senate day was over, and after my family was asleep--from 9:30 p.m. or so until 1 a.m. I would work off an outline--certain themes or stories that I wanted to tell--and get them down in longhand on a yellow pad. Then I'd edit while typing in what I'd written.

Q: If readers are to come away from The Audacity of Hope with one action item (a New Year's Resolution for 2007, perhaps?), what should it be?
A: Get involved in an issue that you're passionate about. It almost doesn’t matter what it is--improving the school system, developing strategies to wean ourselves off foreign oil, expanding health care for kids. We give too much of our power away, to the professional politicians, to the lobbyists, to cynicism. And our democracy suffers as a result.

Q: You're known for being able to work with people across ideological lines. Is that possible in today's polarized Washington?
A: It is possible. There are a lot of well-meaning people in both political parties. Unfortunately, the political culture tends to emphasize conflict, the media emphasizes conflict, and the structure of our campaigns rewards the negative. I write about these obstacles in chapter 4 of my book, "Politics." When you focus on solving problems instead of scoring political points, and emphasize common sense over ideology, you'd be surprised what can be accomplished. It also helps if you're willing to give other people credit--something politicians have a hard time doing sometimes.

Q: How do you make people passionate about moderate and complex ideas?
A: I think the country recognizes that the challenges we face aren't amenable to sound-bite solutions. People are looking for serious solutions to complex problems. I don't think we need more moderation per se--I think we should be bolder in promoting universal health care, or dealing with global warming. We just need to understand that actually solving these problems won't be easy, and that whatever solutions we come up with will require consensus among groups with divergent interests. That means everybody has to listen, and everybody has to give a little. That's not easy to do.

Q: What has surprised you most about the way Washington works?
A: How little serious debate and deliberation takes place on the floor of the House or the Senate.

Q: You talk about how we have a personal responsibility to educate our children. What small thing can the average parent (or person) do to help improve the educational system in America? What small thing can make a big impact?
A: Nothing has a bigger impact than reading to children early in life. Obviously we all have a personal obligation to turn off the TV and read to our own children; but beyond that, participating in a literacy program, working with parents who themselves may have difficulty reading, helping their children with their literacy skills, can make a huge difference in a child's life.

Q: Do you ever find time to read? What kinds of books do you try to make time for? What is on your nightstand now?
A: Unfortunately, I had very little time to read while I was writing. I'm trying to make up for lost time now. My tastes are pretty eclectic. I just finished Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead, a wonderful book. The language just shimmers. I've started Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, which is a great study of Lincoln as a political strategist. I read just about anything by Toni Morrison, E.L. Doctorow, or Philip Roth. And I've got a soft spot for John le Carre.

Q: What inspires you? How do you stay motivated?
A: I'm inspired by the people I meet in my travels--hearing their stories, seeing the hardships they overcome, their fundamental optimism and decency. I'm inspired by the love people have for their children. And I'm inspired by my own children, how full they make my heart. They make me want to work to make the world a little bit better. And they make me want to be a better man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:55 -0400)

Senator Obama calls for a different brand of politics--a politics for those weary of bitter partisanship and alienated by the "endless clash of armies" we see in Congress and on the campaign trail; a politics rooted in the faith, inclusiveness, and nobility of spirit at the heart of our democracy. He explores those forces--from the fear of losing, to the perpetual need to raise money, to the power of the media--that can stifle even the best-intentioned politician. He examines the growing economic insecurity of American families, the racial and religious tensions within the body politic, and the transnational threats--from terrorism to pandemic--that gather beyond our shores. And he grapples with the role that faith plays in a democracy. Only by returning to the principles that gave birth to our Constitution, he says, can Americans repair a broken political process, and restore to working order a government dangerously out of touch with millions of ordinary Americans.--From publisher description.… (more)

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible