Brewster's Millions by George Barr…

Brewster's Millions

by George Barr McCutcheon

The House of a Thousand Candles by Meredith Nicholson (Bjace)
    Bjace: Another book dealing with a strange will and a stalwart, charming hero. Both books are by Indiana authors.

English (11)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (13)
Far fetched plot but quite a lot of fun. Not as silly as Wodehouse but a similar sense of humor. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 10, 2017 |
Another novels that opens a door on an unappreciated era of history and , through the assumptions of the author, gives us a better understanding of our forefathers. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I think I was predisposed to like this book. I saw the movie when I was a kid. As always things aren't exactly like they were in the movie, they can't be. The book was written originally in 1902 and the movie I remember was not made until 1985. Obviously there were many changes and advancements in 83 years. Still the main plot is the same.

Young Brewster is trying to dispose of a million dollars without donating any of it, or acquiring assets with it. He finds it to be a harder challenge than he expected. My favorite line in the book Brewster is saying something about the 60 lbs he lost and the hair that has gone gray while he tried to accomplish the goal of disposing of so much money.

It has been a fun read and I would recommend it as light reading. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
My first Gutenburg/ ebook read.

A humorous premise, and enjoyable enough. More a historical experience than anything.

Cannot remember seeing but I know of the Richard Prior movie but the earlier movie versions sound like. More fun.

Big ship

August 2014 ( )
  bigship | Sep 26, 2014 |
A delightful story. How they got the dreadful Richard Pryor movie out of this, I don't know. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 9, 2014 |
"The Little Sons of the Rich" were gathered about the long table in Pettingill's studio.
Originally published under the pseudonym, Richard P. Greaves.

This classic tragicomic tale from George Barr McCutcheon transforms everyone's favorite caviar-and-champagne dream into a soul-shaking test of mistrust and reckless spending Popular, good-looking, and enterprising, Montgomery Brewster is the toast of New York. While celebrating his twenty-fifth birthday among friends, Monty receives word that his grandfather has died. Before long, New York is abuzz with the news. When Monty inherits $1 million from his affluent grandfather, out comes a parade of would-be advisers and so-called inventors who promise the world to the skeptical millionaire. Just as Monty begins to adjust to his new situation, yet another portentous note comes out of the blue: an equally wealthy, exceedingly eccentric uncle, James T. Sedgwick, has left Monty an additional $7 million. But there's a catch: In order to exact revenge on Monty's grandfather from the grave, Sedgwick's will decrees that, in order to inherit the money, his nephew must fritter away every cent his grandfather toiled to save-and he can tell no one. George Barr McCutheon's brilliant story of fortunes squandered and gained, love lost and found, and one wild spending spree will delight contemporary readers. This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,483,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible