Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow by…

Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow

by James Rollins

Started out slow and turned into a suprisingly good kids' adventure. 10 to 12 year olds. ( )
  Allyanaz | Dec 15, 2016 |
I absolutely love this book! I recommend it to any and all ages. I read it in one day! It is quite the adventure and I cannot wait to read the next. I'm getting it right now! ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Three years ago the archeologist parents of Jake and Kady Ransom disappeared while excavating Mayan ruins. Shortly thereafter a package arrived for the siblings containing 2 halves of a Mayan coin. Now Jake and Kady have been invited to the British Museum to view the exhibit of Mayan treasures dedicated to their parents. Noticing a coin-shaped hole in the side of an artifact Jake places both halves of the Mayan coin into the opening and amidst sudden thunder and lightening the two teens are transported to Calypsos a strange land inhabited by many different cultures as well as prehistoric animals. The two are befriended by Marika and Pindor who both live in this amazing land. Calypsos is threatened by the evil "Skull King" who was banished years ago but has vowed to return and rule the land with his brutal cohorts. It is up to the four teens to save Calypsos and its inhabitants.

This is the first book in Rollins' Jake Ransom series which was written for young readers. My favorite parts of the story were when Jake used his modern 'science' (dog whistle, batteries from a pen light, an I-pod) to help the people from the ancient cultures to fend off dangerous animals and to assist with their own alchemy. I did not like it enough to continue with the series but it was interesting.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Young Reader Reaction: Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow was a great adventure book. All in all, though, this was a mediocre book. There was nothing separating it from any other book. Even though it was very adventurous, it still lacked excitement. Even though it was normal I would still recommend it to kids middle schools.

Adult Reader Reaction: I did like this book, especially because it’s the first in a series. I like following a story, and getting to know the characters in depth. This book is very fast-paced, with lots of action, so it would be great for kids who get bored with books quickly. It is history with a mystery. This is for older children because of the complexity of the plot. It is too long to read in one sitting, but would be good for reading aloud in chapters with younger audiences.

Pros: This Jake Ransom book is fast-paced and very educational. Everyone can enjoy the lessons and themes of science, history, and archeology woven into the story.
  TheReadingTub | Dec 28, 2013 |
Very readable. Reminded me somewhat of Cryptid Hunters. Easier to read for a younger audience. lots of action. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
For all my nieces and nephews: Katherine, Adrienne, R.J., Mack, Alexandra, and Nadia. May all your worlds shine with wonder and magic
The man fled down the steep slope of the jungle mountain.

When a mysterious envelope arrives for Jake Ransom, he and his older sister, Kady, are plunged into a gripping chain of events. An artifact found by their parents—on the expedition from which they never returned—leads Jake and Kady to a strange world inhabited by a peculiar mix of long-lost civilizations, a world that may hold the key to their parents' disappearance.

But even as they enter the gate to this extraordinary place, savage grackyls soar across the sky, diving to attack. Jake's new friends, the pretty Mayan girl Marika and the Roman Pindor, say the grackyls were created by an evil alchemist—the Skull King. And as Jake struggles to find a way home, it becomes obvious that what the Skull King wants most is Jake and Kady—dead or alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:49 -0400)

Connecticut middle-schooler Jake and his older sister Kady are transported by a Mayan artifact to a strange world inhabited by a mix of people from long-lost civilizations who are threatened by prehistoric creatures and an evil alchemist, the Skull King.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,915,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible