Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Don Quixote (original 1605; edition 1964)

by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Walter Starkie (Translator)

18,68424289 (4.07)6 / 555
Title:Don Quixote
Authors:Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Other authors:Walter Starkie (Translator)
Info:New York: New American Library, 1964
Tags:Spanish, Fiction, 16th century, Cervantes, -UL

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1605)

Don Quixote de La Mancha, Part II by Alonso Fernandez De Avellaneda (g026r)
    g026r: The spurious continuation, published in 1614 while Cervantes was still working on his own Part II and which affected that work to a significant degree.
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: A modern-day retelling.
    Orlando Furioso, Part One by Ludovico Ariosto (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: References to then-famous romances, such as this one by Ariosto, provide much of the humour in Don Quixote. In addition to enriching Cervantes' work, Orlando Furioso is entertaining in its own right (especially in this modern verse translation).
    The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Othemts)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (ateolf)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Don Quixote was Flaubert's favourite book, and I've read somewhere that the idea of Madame Bovary is to re-tell the story of Don Quixote in a different context. Don Quixote is obsessed with chivalric literature, and immerses himself in it to the extent that he loses his grip on reality. Emma Bovary is bewitched by Romantic literature in the same way. There are lots of parallels between the two novels, and I think putting them side by side can lead to a better understanding of both.… (more)
    Exemplary Stories by Miguel de Cervantes (longway)
    The Adventures of a Simpleton by Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen (chwiggy)
    Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Read the two concurrently and got a good sense of the kind of chivalric literature that gave birth to Quixote's madness.
    The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox (Rubbah)
    Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: In several of his critical essays Borges makes insightful and unique mention of Don Quixote sometimes directly and sometimes in reference to other works.
    Handling Sin by Michael Malone (allenmichie)
    Guzmán de Alfarache by Mateo Alemán (roby72)
    Meerfahrt mit Don Quijote by Thomas Mann (chwiggy)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (caflores)

English (193)  Spanish (24)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (241)
I know this is a classic of great literature but I cannot finish it. I have read one quarter of the book and I just don't like Don Quixote. I find him to be foolish, stubborn and dangerous. Is this supposed to be a comedy???not sure but I'm giving up. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Oct 1, 2016 |
Alonso Quixano is a nobleman who loves to read novels about chivalry and all kinds of adventures involving knights. He has read so many of them, they are starting to screw with his mind and he starts thinking of himself as a knight. Deciding that he has to go out and find adventures, maidens to rescue and villains to conquer, he leaves his niece and housekeeper behind and transforms in Don Quixote. Together with his horse Rocinante and the freshly hired squire Sancho Pansa and his donkey, they’re off to great things.

It has been many years that I read Don Quixote [Volume 1 and 2], so when it was announced that it was part of my curriculum at uni, I knew that I had to read it again. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to that, I have to admit, since I remembered that I didn’t like it a whole lot, especially not the first Volume. Re-reading it now didn’t really change that.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/09/01/re-read-the-ingenious-gentleman-don-quixote-of-la-mancha-volume-1-miguel-de-cervantes-saavedra/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 27, 2016 |
Having always assumed Don Quixote was some inaccessibly serious, old-timey epic, it was a hilarious surprise to discover just how funny and silly and meta it really is. Reading it was like bingeing on Blackadder skits - a comparison helped by both Quixote and Pancha somehow being shrewder and more luckless as the story progresses - which is fun but not compelling plot-wise. It's full of metastories and excellent female characters (gosh, that Camilla is gutsy/nuts, "gotta hide an affair, better stab myself for dramatic nonfatal effects!" Dorothea is pretty great except for the whole forgiving Don Ferdinand deal. But overall, Marcela is my favourite.) The stand-outs of the second part - the unintended sequel which was a reaction to the unauthorised sequel, - are its meta-literary criticism and the characters' awareness of themselves as literary characters. (Even in the sixteen-hundreds, fan fiction was a thing, as was this quasi-postmodernistic parody-homage, isn't that incredible?) Other wise, the sequel goes back to the outrageous Quixote-Pancha shenanigans which are by turns funny and tedious. My favourite episode was the flying horse and the comprehensive thoughtfulness put into recreating the feat (wind, "sun", etc). Does it count as a cruel prank if Quixote never finds out the truth? Despite all the unnecessary sufferings incurred by his imaginary world, I cannot begrudge the misguided Quixote for the happiness he experienced there. ( )
1 vote kitzyl | Sep 26, 2016 |
The power and draw of parody is something immutable. It's the reason Don Quixote de La Densidad survives its modern readings. Parody is funny; parody encapsulates. It's Cervantes' ability to manipulate parody that makes Don Quixote de La Mancha such a surviving classic influence.

I enjoyed finally cracking open DQ. Coconuts à la Monty Python clacked, caffeinated drinks were drunk, and my previous impression of two faded figures charging at towering windmills in the distance was fleshed out with Cervantes' densely packed prose.

It's epic, it's a classic, it's the birth of slapstick. It's long.

It might make you swap out your everyday garb for that of some armor found on ebay if you happen to go the way of the Don...

No, not that one. This one:

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”

Haven't we all... haven't we all.

It's an adventure. That's the main thing that sticks out for me as its primary reasons for longevity. It's funny and it has the adventure-mystique that pulls you in, page by page. While some bits of the first part buried me, I found myself more drawn to the second part. I felt like it had more rhythm to it, a pace that I could grab onto and follow through. The first part felt like more of a meander through anthropomorphic windmills. Enjoyably funny yet something I had to take a break from occasionally.

All in all, it's a book that should be read in one's life. I'd say more than once, really. The amount of influence it has had is enough to merit such.
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
When it's good, it's really good. Clever and postmodern in a way that is a masterclass even today, when self-reflexivity can sometimes seem the default of popular culture.

Cervantes parodies the tiresome arguments against sequels and franchises centuries before superheroes and star warriors were dominating the big screen; he's every bit as aware of his reputation and imitators as his readers would have been, and makes them a part of the story rather than denying or railing against them. He is extraordinarily clever, and rejects the temptation to make his hero a grand one; Quixote is likeable and admirable in some ways, but in others still a fool and a fantasist.

But when the books drags... boy it drags. There are longueurs and then there are entire novellas – a great deal of time is spent parodying the sort of chivalric tales nobody reads anymore.

It's ultimately worth it, but you'll have to work for the pay off. It's book in some ways better remembered than read.

And I still preferred it when he was throwing barrels at plumbers. ( )
  m_k_m | Sep 16, 2016 |

Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormsby, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ozell, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pascual, José AntonioContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pol, Barber van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shore, T. TeignmouthContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slade, CaroleEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spemann, AdolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stade, GeorgeConsulting Editorial Directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Starkie, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Idle reader, you can believe without any oath of mine that I would wish this book, as the child of my brain, to be the most beautiful, the liveliest and the cleverest imaginable.
Prologue: Idle reader: I don't have to swear any oaths to persuade you that I should like this book, since it is the son of my brain, to be the most beautiful and elegant and intelligent book imaginable.
Chapter 1: In a village in La Mancha, the name of which I cannot quite recall, there lived not long ago one of those country gentlemen or hidalgos who keep a lance in a rack, an ancient leather shield, a scrawny hack and a greyhound for coursing.
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This is the complete and unabridged version, containing both parts. Please do not combine with abridged or incomplete versions.

Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the adventures of the self-created knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. You haven't experienced Don Quixote in English until you've read this masterful translation.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

El ideal de vida del simptico y honesto don Quijote choca violenta y dolorosamente con una realidad grosera y vulgar que no le comprende. Este libro de texto y su disco compacto son diseados para el desarrollo de las cuatro destrezas: leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102170, 1400109019

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible