Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Don Quixote (original 1605; edition 1964)

by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Walter Starkie (Translator)

16,108None109 (4.09)6 / 477
Member:Marse
Title:Don Quixote
Authors:Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Other authors:Walter Starkie (Translator)
Info:New York: New American Library, 1964
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Spanish, Fiction, 16th century, Cervantes, -UL

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (Author) (1605)

1001 (67) 1001 books (66) 17th century (354) adventure (163) Cervantes (156) chivalry (149) classic (722) classic fiction (77) Classic Literature (102) classics (696) Don Quixote (137) ebook (77) fiction (2,205) humor (151) knights (99) literature (778) novel (535) own (82) picaresque (67) read (130) Renaissance (86) Roman (70) romance (67) satire (167) Spain (589) Spanish (662) Spanish literature (677) to-read (252) translation (164) unread (162)
    Don Quixote de La Mancha, Part II by Alonso Fernandez De Avellaneda (g026r)
    g026r: The spurious continuation, published in 1614 while Cervantes was still working on his own Part II and which affected that work to a significant degree.
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: A modern-day retelling.
    The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Othemts)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Don Quixote was Flaubert's favourite book, and I've read somewhere that the idea of Madame Bovary is to re-tell the story of Don Quixote in a different context. Don Quixote is obsessed with chivalric literature, and immerses himself in it to the extent that he loses his grip on reality. Emma Bovary is bewitched by Romantic literature in the same way. There are lots of parallels between the two novels, and I think putting them side by side can lead to a better understanding of both.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (ateolf)
    The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox (Rubbah)
    Guzmán de Alfarache by Mateo Alemán (roby72)
    Handling Sin by Michael Malone (allenmichie)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (caflores)

English (149)  Spanish (16)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Korean (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (182)
Amazing how funny such an old book can be! I think Rutherford, while not the most literal of translators (Montgomery is superior to both him and the overvaunted Grossman), does a fantastic job of bringing out the humor, and making this "old tome" a pleasure to read. ( )
  Audacity88 | Feb 7, 2014 |
This is a monster of a book. It is just shy of 1000 pages and it definitely felt that long.

Long classics are incredibly intimidating which is probably why I had such troubles actually sitting down and picking this book up because it intimidated me so much. Although the length is scary, the content isn't.

I found this novel to be fully entertaining and almost always hilarious. Honestly, I caught myself laughing out loud in some bits, it was that ridiculous.

Don Quixote is a guy, who after reading a heap of novels about knights, decides to become one himself and practically deludes himself into this strange scenario where he is a gallant knight. Everyone in the book thinks he is a madman, but the fact that they acknowledge this and then continue to go along with his nonsense is what makes this book so hilarious.

(Also the fact that 'Don Quixote' was supposed to ridicule the novels that Don Quixote reads [and what was popular during Cervantes time] but in fact, made them more popular and became one itself. I swear in the second half it was the story of a true knight, if not a very strange one.)

The relationship between Don Quixote and Sancho Panza is funny in itself and definitely matures throughout the novel. The intelligence of Sancho, even though he is portrayed as simple-minded, is superb and matures with the novel. Sancho really becomes a part of Don Quixote's madness in the second part and it's also quite funny to see him react in all the crazy situations.

The plot wasn't that of a regular novel; it was simply the string of events that happened to Don Quixote after he decided that he was a knight and as a knight, he should do knightly things.

The only thing I didn't quite like about this book was the length. I caught myself wishing it was shorter countless times throughout reading this book. In my opinion, it really didn't need to be this long.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book as a first (big) classic to anyone who is interested because I feel that the writing and story are quite easy to follow. ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |
who knew that this book is so funny. it is pure slapstick comedy. several times i was laughing out loud. brilliant book cinsudering that is thr first novel ever written. lots of insight in the live of the peolpe of the time. this translation is very readable and has a nice flow. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jan 26, 2014 |
I'm not sure if this book was meant to be funny. But I found Don Quizote's dillusions a bit humorous. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I had some mixed feelings about Don Quixote. At times, I was very wrapped up in the story and found it excellent. At other times, I found it too ridiculous or slow paced and would then put the book down for months without any urge to go back to it. Cervantes, nonetheless, has moments of pure genius and my overall feeling is positive. ( )
1 vote musecure | Jan 7, 2014 |

Martini, FritzAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormsby, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pascual, José AntonioContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pol, Barber van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rico, FranciscoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rojo, GuillermoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rutherford, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüller tot Peursum, C.U.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slade, CaroleTranslation Revisions / Introduction / Notessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spemann, AdolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stade, GeorgeConsulting Editorial Directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tieck, LudwigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Idle reader, you can believe without any oath of mine that I would wish this book, as the child of my brain, to be the most beautiful, the liveliest and the cleverest imaginable.
Prologue: Idle reader: I don't have to swear any oaths to persuade you that I should like this book, since it is the son of my brain, to be the most beautiful and elegant and intelligent book imaginable.
Chapter 1: In a village in La Mancha, the name of which I cannot quite recall, there lived not long ago one of those country gentlemen or hidalgos who keep a lance in a rack, an ancient leather shield, a scrawny hack and a greyhound for coursing.
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This is the complete and unabridged version, containing both parts. Please do not combine with abridged or incomplete versions.

Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the adventures of the self-created knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. You haven't experienced Don Quixote in English until you've read this masterful translation.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:33 -0400)

El ideal de vida del simptico y honesto don Quijote choca violenta y dolorosamente con una realidad grosera y vulgar que no le comprende. Este libro de texto y su disco compacto son diseados para el desarrollo de las cuatro destrezas: leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible