Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Don Quixote (original 1605; edition 1964)

by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Walter Starkie (Translator)

18,54023792 (4.07)6 / 545
Member:Marse
Title:Don Quixote
Authors:Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Other authors:Walter Starkie (Translator)
Info:New York: New American Library, 1964
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Spanish, Fiction, 16th century, Cervantes, -UL

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (Author) (1605)

Don Quixote de La Mancha, Part II by Alonso Fernandez De Avellaneda (g026r)
    g026r: The spurious continuation, published in 1614 while Cervantes was still working on his own Part II and which affected that work to a significant degree.
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: A modern-day retelling.
    Orlando Furioso, Part One by Ludovico Ariosto (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: References to then-famous romances, such as this one by Ariosto, provide much of the humour in Don Quixote. In addition to enriching Cervantes' work, Orlando Furioso is entertaining in its own right (especially in this modern verse translation).
    The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Othemts)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (ateolf)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Don Quixote was Flaubert's favourite book, and I've read somewhere that the idea of Madame Bovary is to re-tell the story of Don Quixote in a different context. Don Quixote is obsessed with chivalric literature, and immerses himself in it to the extent that he loses his grip on reality. Emma Bovary is bewitched by Romantic literature in the same way. There are lots of parallels between the two novels, and I think putting them side by side can lead to a better understanding of both.… (more)
    Exemplary Stories by Miguel de Cervantes (longway)
    The Adventures of a Simpleton by Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen (chwiggy)
    Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Read the two concurrently and got a good sense of the kind of chivalric literature that gave birth to Quixote's madness.
    The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox (Rubbah)
    Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: In several of his critical essays Borges makes insightful and unique mention of Don Quixote sometimes directly and sometimes in reference to other works.
    Guzmán de Alfarache by Mateo Alemán (roby72)
    Handling Sin by Michael Malone (allenmichie)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (caflores)

English (190)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (237)
A gift from Sarah. Thank you! ( )
  sionnac | Jul 26, 2016 |
So it turns out that the foundation of modern literature contains a lot of barf and fart jokes.

Cervantes covers a huge array of ideas and narrative techniques, so there's a lot to admire but also a lot to be bored by. Seeing evidence of real-world circumstances infiltrating the narrative via metafictional elements (e.g. DQ's fame in vol 2 from characters' having read vol 1, the shaming of the author of the false DQ sequel) was more enjoyable than the experience of following the storyline itself, which is frequently episodic, usually involving one of ten trillion randomly encountered people describing their girl/boy problems at length. Still, the characters of DQ and Sancho themselves are sympathetic, memorable, and somehow very real despite all the craziness.
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
[From Books and You, Doubleday, Doran & Co., 1940, pp. 48-49:]

The first book I wish to speak of is Don Quixote. Shelton made a translation of it early in the seventeenth century, but you may not find it very convenient to read; and since I want you to read with delight, I suggest that you should read it in Ormsby’s more recent version, published in 1885. But I should like to warn you of one thing: Cervantes was a poor man and he was paid to provide a certain amount of work; he had by him, one may presume, some short stories, and it seemed to him a very good notion to use them to fill out his book. I have read them, but I read them as Doctor Johnson read Paradise Lost – as a duty rather than with pleasure – and if I were you, I would skip them. In Ormsby’s version, in order to make it easy to do this, they are printed in smaller type. After all, it is Don Quixote himself you want – Don Quixote with his faithful Sancho Panza; he is tender, loyal and great-hearted; and though you cannot but laugh at his misadventures (less now than his contemporaries did, for we are more squeamish than they were and the jests that were played on him are sometimes too cruel to amuse us), you must be very insensitive if you do not feel for the Knight of the Rueful Countenance not only affection but respect. The fantasy of man has never created a personage that so deeply appeals to a generous nature.

[From Don Fernando, Heinemann, 1950, Chapter 6:]

The Knight is the most human, the most lovable character that the wit of man has devised. One cherishes him with a tenderness that, alas, one can seldom feel in this difficult world for creatures of flesh and blood. Don Quixote and his Squire are immortal.*

[From Ten Novels and Their Authors,, Heinemann, 1954, p. 4:]

Coleridge said of Don Quixote that it is a book to read through once and then only to dip into, by which he may well have meant that parts of it are so tedious, and even absurd, that it is time ill-spent, when you have once discovered this, to read them again. It is a great and important book, and a professed student of literature should certainly read it once through (I have myself read it from cover to cover twice in English and three times in Spanish), yet I cannot but think that the ordinary reader, the reader who reads for delight, would lose nothing if he did not read the dull parts at all. He would surely enjoy all the more the passages in which the narrative is directly concerned with the adventures and conversations, so amusing and so touching, of the gentle knight and his earthly squire. A Spanish publisher has, in point of fact, collected these in a single volume. It makes very good reading.

_____________________________________________
*Don Quixote and his Squire appear briefly as characters in Chapter 31 of Catalina (1948), Maugham's last novel and last work of fiction. Ed.
1 vote WSMaugham | Jul 18, 2016 |
The power and draw of parody is something immutable. It's the reason Don Quixote de La Densidad survives its modern readings. Parody is funny; parody encapsulates. It's Cervantes' ability to manipulate parody that makes Don Quixote de La Mancha such a surviving classic influence.

I enjoyed finally cracking open DQ. Coconuts à la Monty Python clacked, caffeinated drinks were drunk, and my previous impression of two faded figures charging at towering windmills in the distance was fleshed out with Cervantes' densely packed prose.

It's epic, it's a classic, it's the birth of slapstick. It's long.

It might make you swap out your everyday garb for that of some armor found on ebay if you happen to go the way of the Don...

No, not that one. This one:

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”

Haven't we all... haven't we all.

It's an adventure. That's the main thing that sticks out for me as its primary reasons for longevity. It's funny and it has the adventure-mystique that pulls you in, page by page. While some bits of the first part buried me, I found myself more drawn to the second part. I felt like it had more rhythm to it, a pace that I could grab onto and follow through. The first part felt like more of a meander through anthropomorphic windmills. Enjoyably funny yet something I had to take a break from occasionally.

All in all, it's a book that should be read in one's life. I'd say more than once, really. The amount of influence it has had is enough to merit such.
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed the first book. It was entertaining and funny. But it is VERY long and couldn't keep my attention. So by the second book I was just trying to finish it. ( )
  KamGeb | Jun 18, 2016 |

Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormsby, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ozell, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pascual, José AntonioContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pol, Barber van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rico, FranciscoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rojo, GuillermoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rutherford, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüller tot Peursum, C.L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slade, CaroleTranslation Revisions / Introduction / Notessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spemann, AdolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stade, GeorgeConsulting Editorial Directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Starkie, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Idle reader, you can believe without any oath of mine that I would wish this book, as the child of my brain, to be the most beautiful, the liveliest and the cleverest imaginable.
Prologue: Idle reader: I don't have to swear any oaths to persuade you that I should like this book, since it is the son of my brain, to be the most beautiful and elegant and intelligent book imaginable.
Chapter 1: In a village in La Mancha, the name of which I cannot quite recall, there lived not long ago one of those country gentlemen or hidalgos who keep a lance in a rack, an ancient leather shield, a scrawny hack and a greyhound for coursing.
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This is the complete and unabridged version, containing both parts. Please do not combine with abridged or incomplete versions.

Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the adventures of the self-created knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. You haven't experienced Don Quixote in English until you've read this masterful translation.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

El ideal de vida del simptico y honesto don Quijote choca violenta y dolorosamente con una realidad grosera y vulgar que no le comprende. Este libro de texto y su disco compacto son diseados para el desarrollo de las cuatro destrezas: leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102170, 1400109019

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,390,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible