Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Don Quixote (original 1605; edition 1964)

by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Walter Starkie (Translator)

17,80422797 (4.08)6 / 490
Member:Marse
Title:Don Quixote
Authors:Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Other authors:Walter Starkie (Translator)
Info:New York: New American Library, 1964
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Spanish, Fiction, 16th century, Cervantes, -UL

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1605)

Don Quixote de La Mancha, Part II by Alonso Fernandez De Avellaneda (g026r)
    g026r: The spurious continuation, published in 1614 while Cervantes was still working on his own Part II and which affected that work to a significant degree.
    Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene (hdcclassic)
    hdcclassic: A modern-day retelling.
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (ateolf)
    The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (Othemts)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Don Quixote was Flaubert's favourite book, and I've read somewhere that the idea of Madame Bovary is to re-tell the story of Don Quixote in a different context. Don Quixote is obsessed with chivalric literature, and immerses himself in it to the extent that he loses his grip on reality. Emma Bovary is bewitched by Romantic literature in the same way. There are lots of parallels between the two novels, and I think putting them side by side can lead to a better understanding of both.… (more)
    Orlando Furioso: A Romantic Epic: Part 1 (Penguin Classics) (Pt. 1) by Ludovico Ariosto (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: References to then-famous romances, such as this one by Ariosto, provide much of the humour in Don Quixote. In addition to enriching Cervantes' work, Orlando Furioso is entertaining in its own right (especially in this modern verse translation).
    Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: In several of his critical essays Borges makes insightful and unique mention of Don Quixote sometimes directly and sometimes in reference to other works.
    Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Read the two concurrently and got a good sense of the kind of chivalric literature that gave birth to Quixote's madness.
    The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox (Rubbah)
    Handling Sin by Michael Malone (allenmichie)
    Guzmán de Alfarache by Mateo Alemán (roby72)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (caflores)

English (183)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (228)
The original buddy road trip that started them all. ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
jousting at windmills - my favorite metaphor!
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
There was only one part I found funny. I'm not sure why I couldn't like this book, but I slogged through the entire thing. My kid brother loved it so much he gave a copy to my dad, though. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
The power and draw of parody is something immutable. It's the reason Don Quixote de La Densidad survives its modern readings. Parody is funny; parody encapsulates. It's Cervantes' ability to manipulate parody that makes Don Quixote de La Mancha such a surviving classic influence.

I enjoyed finally cracking open DQ. Coconuts à la Monty Python clacked, caffeinated drinks were drunk, and my previous impression of two faded figures charging at towering windmills in the distance was fleshed out with Cervantes' densely packed prose.

It's epic, it's a classic, it's the birth of slapstick. It's long.

It might make you swap out your everyday garb for that of some armor found on ebay if you happen to go the way of the Don...

No, not that one. This one:

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”

Haven't we all... haven't we all.

It's an adventure. That's the main thing that sticks out for me as its primary reasons for longevity. It's funny and it has the adventure-mystique that pulls you in, page by page. While some bits of the first part buried me, I found myself more drawn to the second part. I felt like it had more rhythm to it, a pace that I could grab onto and follow through. The first part felt like more of a meander through anthropomorphic windmills. Enjoyably funny yet something I had to take a break from occasionally.

All in all, it's a book that should be read in one's life. I'd say more than once, really. The amount of influence it has had is enough to merit such.
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |

It's epic, it's a classic, it's the birth of slapstick. It's long.

No, not that one. This one:

Haven't we all... haven't we all.

motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |

Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ormsby, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ozell, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pascual, José AntonioContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pol, Barber van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putnam, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rico, FranciscoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rojo, GuillermoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rutherford, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüller tot Peursum, C.L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüller tot Peursum, C.U.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slade, CaroleTranslation Revisions / Introduction / Notessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spemann, AdolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stade, GeorgeConsulting Editorial Directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tieck, LudwigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Idle reader, you can believe without any oath of mine that I would wish this book, as the child of my brain, to be the most beautiful, the liveliest and the cleverest imaginable.
Prologue: Idle reader: I don't have to swear any oaths to persuade you that I should like this book, since it is the son of my brain, to be the most beautiful and elegant and intelligent book imaginable.
Chapter 1: In a village in La Mancha, the name of which I cannot quite recall, there lived not long ago one of those country gentlemen or hidalgos who keep a lance in a rack, an ancient leather shield, a scrawny hack and a greyhound for coursing.
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This is the complete and unabridged version, containing both parts. Please do not combine with abridged or incomplete versions.

Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece. Widely regarded as one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the adventures of the self-created knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. You haven't experienced Don Quixote in English until you've read this masterful translation.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

El ideal de vida del simptico y honesto don Quijote choca violenta y dolorosamente con una realidad grosera y vulgar que no le comprende. Este libro de texto y su disco compacto son diseados para el desarrollo de las cuatro destrezas: leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102170, 1400109019

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,031,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible