Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

Private Peaceful (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Michael Morpurgo

8015211,418 (4.22)1 / 63
Member:timpegler
Title:Private Peaceful
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Harpercollins Childs (2004), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:WW1, war, family, disability, love, guilt, grief

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (2003)

English (51)  Catalan (1)  All languages (52)
I really enjoyed this short novel about a soldier in the first world war. The truth is this, it's a spoiler so look away now! he has a brother who is about to be shot for insubordination. Of course, the brother did nothing wrong, in fact did the army a favor. Instead he was shot. The younger brother tells us a moving tale of his childhood, mixed with the hardness of the war. Definitely worth a read. ( )
  Rosenstern | Mar 12, 2015 |
I re-read this book because I think it is absolutely stunning! So emotional and quite fitting as it is 100 years from WW1... ( )
  KatherineB729 | Jan 16, 2015 |
(5.2)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Michael Morpugo did a fantastic job describing what Tommy Peaceful (the main character) felt while during his war time.

I like when he specified his emotions, like "And it was anger I was drowning, not just sorrows: anger at Charlie For abandoning me, anger that he was to see Molly and home, and that I was not.

This details of actual peoples thoughts during war, keeps the flow of the book going and really illustrates his thoughts on people who have been in wars.

Another example I like is " Then on a bellowed command we threw ourselves face down and crawled on through the long grass", which describes what the soldiers were doing in training.

I would prefer this book to anyone who likes adventure with specific details that put you in that characters position. ( )
  thanie | Oct 3, 2014 |
great read with numerous storylines interwoven, but each maintaining their own integrity as a mini story. Well worth reading as it kept me interested from start to finish. ( )
  rata | May 6, 2014 |

Michael Morpurgoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dear godmother, Mary Niven
They've gone now, and I'm alone at last.
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439636531, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Children's Laureate of England, a stunning novel of the First World War, a boy who is on its front lines, and a childhood remembered. Includes After Words bonus features.

As the enemy lurks in the darkness, Thomas struggles to stay awake through the night. He has lived through the terror of gas attacks and watched friends die by his side. But in the morning, Thomas will be forced to confront an even greater horror.
As the minutes tick by, Thomas remembers his childhood spent deep in the countryside with his mother, his brothers, and Molly, the love of his life. But each minute that passes brings Thomas closer to something he can't bear to to think about--the moment when the war and its horrific consequences will change his life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When Thomas Peaceful's older brother is forced to join the British Army, Thomas decides to sign up as well, although he is only fourteen years old, to prove himself to his country, his family, his childhood love, Molly, and himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,162,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible