Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

Private Peaceful (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Michael Morpurgo

7845011,747 (4.21)1 / 62
Member:timpegler
Title:Private Peaceful
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Harpercollins Childs (2004), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:WW1, war, family, disability, love, guilt, grief

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (2003)

English (49)  Catalan (1)  All languages (50)
(5.2)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Michael Morpugo did a fantastic job describing what Tommy Peaceful (the main character) felt while during his war time.

I like when he specified his emotions, like "And it was anger I was drowning, not just sorrows: anger at Charlie For abandoning me, anger that he was to see Molly and home, and that I was not.

This details of actual peoples thoughts during war, keeps the flow of the book going and really illustrates his thoughts on people who have been in wars.

Another example I like is " Then on a bellowed command we threw ourselves face down and crawled on through the long grass", which describes what the soldiers were doing in training.

I would prefer this book to anyone who likes adventure with specific details that put you in that characters position. ( )
  thanie | Oct 3, 2014 |
great read with numerous storylines interwoven, but each maintaining their own integrity as a mini story. Well worth reading as it kept me interested from start to finish. ( )
  rata | May 6, 2014 |
I was deeply touched by this book. It really helped explain Ian Rutledge's history in the Charles Todd books. The language is wonderful the atmosphere haunting. The suspense thrilling. What a story! Thank you very much! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is beautifully written book form the POV of a 15/16 year old boy who misguidedly goes to fight in the First WW with his older brother. It shows very simply the futility and frustrations of war. It is a must read for younger readers (lots of secondary schools study it) and people that do not know much about the First WW. For older and knowledgeable readers they will find the story predicable and I guessed the device used, half the way through, that does not detract from the enjoyment. Even though I knew what was coming I cried, that in in itself is recommendation enough. It is sumptuous short read. I read it in less than 4 hours and I am a slow reader ( )
  IanMPindar | Jul 10, 2013 |
For my dear godmother, Mary Niven
They've gone now, and I'm alone at last.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439636531, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Children's Laureate of England, a stunning novel of the First World War, a boy who is on its front lines, and a childhood remembered. Includes After Words bonus features.

As the enemy lurks in the darkness, Thomas struggles to stay awake through the night. He has lived through the terror of gas attacks and watched friends die by his side. But in the morning, Thomas will be forced to confront an even greater horror.
As the minutes tick by, Thomas remembers his childhood spent deep in the countryside with his mother, his brothers, and Molly, the love of his life. But each minute that passes brings Thomas closer to something he can't bear to to think about--the moment when the war and its horrific consequences will change his life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When Thomas Peaceful's older brother is forced to join the British Army, Thomas decides to sign up as well, although he is only fourteen years old, to prove himself to his country, his family, his childhood love, Molly, and himself.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible