Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

Private Peaceful (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Michael Morpurgo

7764811,891 (4.21)1 / 62
Member:ken1952
Title:Private Peaceful
Authors:Michael Morpurgo
Info:Collins (2003), Edition: 1st ed/1st printing, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (2003)

English (47)  Catalan (1)  All languages (48)
great read with numerous storylines interwoven, but each maintaining their own integrity as a mini story. Well worth reading as it kept me interested from start to finish. ( )
  rata | May 6, 2014 |
I was deeply touched by this book. It really helped explain Ian Rutledge's history in the Charles Todd books. The language is wonderful the atmosphere haunting. The suspense thrilling. What a story! Thank you very much! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is beautifully written book form the POV of a 15/16 year old boy who misguidedly goes to fight in the First WW with his older brother. It shows very simply the futility and frustrations of war. It is a must read for younger readers (lots of secondary schools study it) and people that do not know much about the First WW. For older and knowledgeable readers they will find the story predicable and I guessed the device used, half the way through, that does not detract from the enjoyment. Even though I knew what was coming I cried, that in in itself is recommendation enough. It is sumptuous short read. I read it in less than 4 hours and I am a slow reader ( )
  IanMPindar | Jul 10, 2013 |
Private Peaceful follows the childhood and early adulthood of Tommo, Charlie and Molly. In their village they live a peaceful life until World War I breaks out. Charlie is forced to go to war by their landlord, the Corporal, and Tommo cannot bear to let his brother go alone. They train and fight together, but Charlie is executed by a firing squad for disobeying orders. This is a moving story on the growing up theme, with war and drama added to the mix, resulting in a brilliant novel. It shows a different side to WWI and the way that men like Charlie were killed, some for only sleeping at their posts. ( )
  carrpat2018 | Jun 17, 2013 |
Two young brothers, Tommo and Charlie Peaceful, are faced with the reality of trench warfare and life as soldiers during World War I. As Tommo reflects back on his childhood, this touching and emotional story intertwines his past family struggles with his current soldier life.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
For my dear godmother, Mary Niven
They've gone now, and I'm alone at last.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439636531, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Children's Laureate of England, a stunning novel of the First World War, a boy who is on its front lines, and a childhood remembered. Includes After Words bonus features.

As the enemy lurks in the darkness, Thomas struggles to stay awake through the night. He has lived through the terror of gas attacks and watched friends die by his side. But in the morning, Thomas will be forced to confront an even greater horror.
As the minutes tick by, Thomas remembers his childhood spent deep in the countryside with his mother, his brothers, and Molly, the love of his life. But each minute that passes brings Thomas closer to something he can't bear to to think about--the moment when the war and its horrific consequences will change his life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When Thomas Peaceful's older brother is forced to join the British Army, Thomas decides to sign up as well, although he is only fourteen years old, to prove himself to his country, his family, his childhood love, Molly, and himself.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible