Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer…

Al Capone Shines My Shoes (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Gennifer Choldenko

Member:audreydodge
Title:Al Capone Shines My Shoes
Authors:Gennifer Choldenko
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Historical Fiction

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, MontagueES, weber93, Snowstorm14, apostate, acleske, newsandy

(3.5)
  mshampson | Feb 23, 2015 |
I loved how the author used real life famous characters and events and tired them into a cute childrens book. In the authors note she talks about how she came up with the ideas for the book and they mostly came from people that lived on alcatraz so it was all true in a sense. This book also has everything that little boys love, action, baseball, and girls. I also like that they feature an autistic sister and shows how children deal with living with a sibling with the disorder. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Feb 27, 2014 |
This is a fun middle-grade book. It's been a few years since I read the first in the series but I was able to keep track of the distinct cast of kids without too much issue. It's brilliant to write a series about kids growing up on Alcatraz, a place where Al Capone is behind bars but not without power, and the guards themselves can be the worst of the bad guys.

One of the reasons I started these books is because they feature an autistic character, Natalie, who is Moose's older sister. I really like how Choldenko handles Natalie's character and how othesr respond to her... and those responses can be pretty ugly. It's honest, though. It shows how people treat those who "are not normal," and that such mistreatment still goes on today. It's a kids' book with a lot of depth. ( )
  ladycato | Feb 12, 2014 |
In this young adult novel, by Gennifer Cholldenko, Moose is anxious that notorious gangster, Al Capone, who is locked up in Alcatraz will ask him for payback now that Moose's sister has been mysteriously been accepted into a special school. "Al Capone Shines my shoes" is the sequel to "Al Capone Does my Shirts" and continues to follow that antics and adventures of the kids living on Alcatraz in the 1930s. ( )
  JMBridger | Jan 18, 2014 |
In this, the second book in the series, the story of life on Alcatraz continues. Moose faces the consequences of the decisions he made in the first book, and struggles to keep everyone around him happy. There's a lot of drama as friendships, family problems, and budding preteen romance threaten to disrupt Moose's peaceful life -- but an even bigger disruption is brewing in the cellhouse, and the consequences could be far worse than hurt feelings.

Like its predecessor, this book is a great read. The focus of this book is broader -- where the first book focused on family dynamics, Al Capone Shines My Shoes deals more with the different personalities of the kids living on Alcatraz. Choldenko does an excellent job of character development, though there are a few plot points that stretch credulity. Choldenko also does an excellent job of portraying a character with autism, in the days before that diagnosis even existed. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 20, 2013 |
Perhaps the most astonishing accomplishment of "Al Capone Shines My Shoes" is that Choldenko audaciously introduces us to the legendary Al Capone and gives him flesh and spirit of a very human kind.

What do you do when your neighbors are a bunch of hit men, con men, and mad dog murderers? Well, if you're Moose Flanagan, you ask the most notorious convict of them all, Al Capone, for help. But when that convict comes through for you and then asks you for a favor in return?  Suddenly it's a whole different ball game. Picking up where the Newbery Honor winning Al Capone Does My Shirts left off, this lively second romp featuring Moose, his friends, and some of Alcatraz's "finest" is just as satisfying as the first. [retrieved 4/23/2013 from Amazon.com]

Moose Flanagan, who lives on Alcatraz along with his family and the families of the other prison guards, is frightened when he discovers that noted gangster Al Capone, a prisoner there, wants a favor in return for the help that he secretly gave Moose.… (more)

37 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,955,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible