Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer…

Al Capone Shines My Shoes (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Gennifer Choldenko

Member:audreydodge
Title:Al Capone Shines My Shoes
Authors:Gennifer Choldenko
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Historical Fiction

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko (2009)

Narrated by Kirby Heyborne. Like "Al Capone Does My Shirts," this sequel is so much more than hijinx in an intriguing setting. Trust, friendships, responsibility, family, and growing up are themes weaved solidly into an entertaining story and that add emotional heft. Moose and his friends come off as real, regular kids. The romantic tension between Moose and Piper wasn't necessary, I thought, but still, the book is a great follow-up to the first. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Al Capone Shines My Shoes is the sequel to Al Capone Does My Shirts, a 2005 Newbery Honor book. Moose is still living on Alcatraz with his family but now his sister Natalie is finally attending a school that will help her. Moose feels the family's group dynamic changing and life feels just a little bit freer now. Unfortunately Moose gets drawn back into trouble again by Piper, the warden's daughter and by the favor he called in from prisoner #85 Al Capone to get Natalie into school. Will Moose go too far in effort to keep everyone happy?

This sequel was a lot of fun, as it was full of action and all the characters I loved from the previous book. Piper is just as much of a pain as ever using what little power she has to get everyone in trouble so she can get her way. This book we get a little more insight into Piper, we find out what makes her tick and why she feels like she needs to have so much power.

We also find out more about what makes Moose tick. Moose spends a lot of the book analyzing the kind of person he is and the what makes his friends tick. He thinks that there is a lot more gray area where the cons are concerned then there actually is. I was on the edge of my seat watching him and his friends deal with the outcomes caused by those feelings.

I did have to laugh a little bit at the appearance of a love triangle in this book. It seems like authors just can't help themselves anymore. I don't want to give any details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I definitely know what couple I want to end up together if Moose's adventures on Alcatraz continue.

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Perhaps the most astonishing accomplishment of "Al Capone Shines My Shoes" is that Choldenko audaciously introduces us to the legendary Al Capone and gives him flesh and spirit of a very human kind.

What do you do when your neighbors are a bunch of hit men, con men, and mad dog murderers? Well, if you're Moose Flanagan, you ask the most notorious convict of them all, Al Capone, for help. But when that convict comes through for you and then asks you for a favor in return?  Suddenly it's a whole different ball game. Picking up where the Newbery Honor winning Al Capone Does My Shirts left off, this lively second romp featuring Moose, his friends, and some of Alcatraz's "finest" is just as satisfying as the first. [retrieved 4/23/2013 from Amazon.com]

Moose Flanagan, who lives on Alcatraz along with his family and the families of the other prison guards, is frightened when he discovers that noted gangster Al Capone, a prisoner there, wants a favor in return for the help that he secretly gave Moose.… (more)

32 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible