Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah…

Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson

by Sheila Solomon Klass

In the 1700s, women’s responsibilities were primarily child rearing and household duties. But Deborah Sampson wanted more from life. She wanted to read, to travel—and to fight for her country’s independence. When the colonies went to war with the British in 1775, Deborah was intent on being part of the action. Seeing no other option, she disguised herself in a man’s uniform and served in the Continental army for more than a year, her identity hidden from her fellow soldiers.
The above is the summary provided by Goodreads.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
This was an interesting biographical fiction. These stories of women dressing up as men to fight in the war always fascinate me, but for some reason this one took me awhile to read. I don't know if it was the writing or me because the story was good and interesting but it just didn’t hold me it was to easy to put down. I would recommend it to young readers. ( )
1 vote susiesharp | Oct 17, 2010 |
This is an historical novel based on a true story. Since I like historical fiction and stories about brave, strong women, I found this to be a good read. This would be a good novel to use in a classroom studying the Revolutionary War. ( )
  MrsHillReads | Sep 14, 2009 |
First chapter really drew me in -- Deborah is dressed like a man, fighting in Revolutionary War, but has been seriously wounded and is nearly declared dear. When a doctor realizes she is actually a young woman, she does not know what will happen to her. He takes her into his home as a special patient. Then we move back through her story, as Deborah writes it down for the doctor. At the beginning of this backtracking, the pace and my interest level slowed down a bit, but it picked up. ( )
  beckyhaagsma | Aug 24, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080508200X, Hardcover)

Accomplished writer Sheila Solomon Klass creates a gripping firstperson account of an extraordinary woman who lived a life full of danger, adventure, and intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

During the Revolutionary War, a young woman named Deborah Sampson disguises herself as a man in order to serve in the Continental Army.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible