Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon

Dragonbreath (edition 2009)

by Ursula Vernon, Ursula Vernon (Illustrator)

Member:KHill41818
Title:Dragonbreath
Authors:Ursula Vernon
Other authors:Ursula Vernon (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (2009), Hardcover, 160 pages

Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon

I bought this because I like Ursula Vernon's drawing style and thought this might be fun to have in our class library for my ESL students. While the drewings did not disappoint I'm not sure that my ESL students will understand the language well enough for them to be Finisheding this book, and the ones who do might find this a bit too juvenile. The ones old enough to have past the mortal coolness threshold would benefit from trickier stuff, so I am not sure what to do with this apart from giving it to my wife, who adores all dragons. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
A short and easy read for adults, and what would be a fun romp for a younger reader. Filled with excitement and humour, Ursula Vernon, a scientist-come-artist, delights in introducing the reader to the wonderful world of the ocean, as Danny and his friend Wendell research a school project. The little comics add interest to the story and should be particularly enjoyed by the more reluctant reader. Vernon never patronises the reader, never talks down to them, and has inserted some pretty sly humour - which might make the adult reading it aloud, guffaw with laughter. ( )
1 vote LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
A cute and funny start to a series that I would hand to fans of Babymouse and/or Squish. It's a step up as far as containing more straight text, but there are comic sections throughout to ease the reading load a little bit. This series has been popular at my library since we purchased it. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Apr 7, 2013 |
I wasn't blown away by this. It's getting lots of comparisons to Babymouse, which I can sort of see, but I really wish this were told entirely in comics instead of a few pages of comics and then a bunch of prose. Vernon does some excellent sequential art storytelling (look up her webcomic epic Digger) but her prose isn't at the same quality.

It was fun, I enjoyed it, and I'll be passing it along to the children's librarian for purchase, but it didn't wow me. Alas. ( )
1 vote librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
I liked the way that it discusses how to stop a bully because bullying needs to stop. I also like how the main character, Danny, stands up for himself and doesn't let the bully push him around. Written by Collin M. 7th grade ( )
  Luthey | Apr 20, 2012 |
For Deb, for telling the right anecdote at the right time
The sea was calm... But then the silence was broken by the fearsome sound of pirates!

AR 4.3, Pts 1.0

It?s not easy for Danny Dragonbreath to be the sole mythical creature in a school for reptiles and amphibians?especially because he can?t breathe fire like other dragons (as the school bully loves to remind him). But having a unique family comes in handy sometimes, like when his sea-serpent cousin takes Danny and his best iguana friend on a mindboggling underwater tour, complete with vomiting sea cucumbers and giant squid. It sure beats reading the encyclopedia to research his ocean report . . .

Using a hybrid of comic-book panels and text, Ursula Vernon introduces an irresistible set of characters with a penchant for getting themselves into sticky situations. It?s perfect for both the classroom and the Wimpy Kid set.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:59 -0400)

Danny Dragonbreath and his friend Wendell get an up-close underwater tour of the Sargasso Sea from Danny's sea-serpent cousin, encountering giant squid and mako sharks--and learn about standing up to bullies in the process.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible