Wife for a Week by Kelly Hunter

Review Posted on HarlequinJunkie.com

When I started to read “The Trouble with Valentine’s” by Kelly Hunter, it sounded really familiar. I got further into the book, and I started to remember things that were coming up. So I did a little investigating, and I found out that this is actually an expanded version of “Wife for a Week” from Hunter’s ‘Bennett’ …Read More ( )
  Aleveria | Jan 12, 2017 |
This was a cute and fast read.

Nick needs someone to fake being his wife for a week while he secures a business deal in Hong Kong. He needs this because the last time he was in Hong Kong his prospective business partner's daughter had thrown herself at him. In order to spare her feelings and not cause any bad blood, he lied and told her he had a wife. However, now that lie has come back to bite him on the ass and he needs to produce said wife. This is where Hallie comes in. She's agreed to be his fake wife in exchange for enough money for her to finish getting her diploma.

Like I said this was cute story. Nick and Hallie had some really great bantering going on that kept things interesting. The side characters were also pretty fabulous. I loved that Nick's business partner's daughter, Jasmine, wasn't portrayed as evil or conniving. I really ended up enjoying her character, as well as the small side romance going on between her and her bodyguard.

My only complaint about the story was the odd inclusion of the Chinese mafia and also the quick pace of Hallie and Nick's relationship. They declare their love for each other and have plans to get married right as they're leaving China. I know this is a romance but that was just way too fast for me. They've known each other for less than a week. I would've been more content if they had just decided to have a relationship at the end of the story. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quick read that's pure fluff. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
loved just about everything about it, particularly the banter. ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |
While totally implausible, this was just a hoot to read. Funny, snappy dialog and amusing situations combined with some hot scenes to make a wicked fun read.

The book opens with the heroine chatting up a shoe in the store she works in. Midway through her conversation, an older woman and her adult son walk in the door. Before she knows what the hell happened, she's kissing him and agreeing to act as his wife for an upcoming trip to Hong Kong in exchange for an easy £10k. Along the way they banter hilariously, they have scorching hot makeouts, she accidentally takes out a contract on his life and they totally fall head-over-heels in love.

True to life? Good god, no. Grinning ear-to-ear from start to finish? Absolutely. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
Harlequin Presents books are fluff reading for me, books to read when I'm tired or feeling a little blue and want to escape into some totally unrealistic world for a few hours. And if that's your aim, this is a good book to choose from the shelf. There were several moments when I found myself laughing out loud. I liked the heroine, who was a little more spirited and independent than the typical Harlequin Presents heroine. And the hero wasn't so much of a jerk, which is always nice.

Yes, there were some moments of ridiculousness in the book: the "shoe size" fascination, the description of certain parts of anatomy, and the fact that the heroine was a virgin. Of course, this IS Harlequin Presents, so I expect the heroine to be virginal, engaging in unprotected sex, and usually pregnant by the end of the book (fortunately, the last one wasn't true in this book).

Altogether, I thought that this was a good offering from the Harlequin Presents line. A lot of the books tend to sound all alike after a while, so it was great to read one that was actually funny and cute with some memorable characters in the cast. ( )
  schatzi | Oct 3, 2010 |
The Trouble with Valentine's is the expanded edition of Wife for a Week.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373820534, Mass Market Paperback)

Wanted: Wife for one week
Nicholas Cooper needs to produce a wife for his Hong Kong business deal to go without a hitch, and Hallie Bennett is beautiful and intelligent enough to pull it off. She needs the money, and Nicholas swears he'll be a perfect gentleman
Rule #1: displays of affection in public only
Keeping their hands on each other in public turns out to be surprisingly easy. It's keeping them off in private that becomes the problem
And that's not the only very inconvenient complication...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

2 avail.1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible