HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
Loading...

Portnoy's Complaint (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Philip Roth

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
6,0211261,033 (3.62)210
Member:LouiseJuelJensen
Title:Portnoy's Complaint
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1994), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 289 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:Jo nedbør

Work details

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (1969)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 210 mentions

English (109)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (126)
Showing 1-5 of 109 (next | show all)
Hey, I know! Let's throw in an attempted rape scene right at the end, and then not really address or deal with it properly! It can act as a symbol whilst at the same time trivializing the event.

Four stars for brilliant, quotable writing. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
I am most assuredly female and there were many parts of this book that caused great eye-rolling from me. I sympathized with The Monkey more than Portnoy. I hope I spell a bit better. I recognized a couple of my Jewish boyfriends.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Un libro muy difícil de reseñar...

Por una parte, me gustó ver esta faceta de Roth: un Roth más joven, más atrevido y desaforado. Habiendo leído solamente [b:The Human Stain|11734|The Human Stain (The American Trilogy, #3)|Philip Roth|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1308953496s/11734.jpg|1118624], uno podría quedarse perfectamente con el Roth sobrio, formalmente perfecto, de personajes bien caracterizados y lenguaje impecable. Al final, creo que me quedo con ese primer Roth que conocí, aunque este no es completamente despreciable.

Lo que pasa con este Roth joven es que lo detesto. Lo detesto porque veo mucho de mí en él: la sociedad judía, con su represión sexual y su presión familiar, se parece demasiado a la tradicional mexicana. Esa desesperación de sentirse sucio, enfermo o inadecuado me resulta familiar. Sin embargo, en este descontrol total de las pasiones, Alexander Portnoy se convierte en un personaje verdaderamente detestable, lo cual me parece que era el punto. Pero a veces la novela da la sensación de irse demasiado fuera de control. La crítica social, hasta cierto punto, se invalida a sí misma por ser expresada por un personaje tan cuestionable.

Claro está que este personaje pertenece a una era muy específica: la postguerra norteamericana, la liberación sexual en ciertas regiones y entre ciertas etnias. Pero me parece que esta novela triunfó precisamente por eso: por responder a las necesidades de una sociedad muy específica en un momento muy determinado. Aunque el personaje sí logra ser, en ciertos aspectos, universal (tanto así que pude encontrar en ella cosas que yo, un tipo mexicano del s.XXI, he observado en mi realidad), aún así logra mantenerse en ese nicho específico. Tanto es así que, me parece, si fuera publicada en los tiempos actuales, no sería recibida con tanto revuelo. Me parece que el escándalo y la indignación fueron más allá de la novela en sí.

...y aún así, no me arrepiento de haberla leído. Ésta fue la primera novela verdaderamente exitosa de Roth. Con su temperamento y sus ideales, creo que el buen Roth necesitaba una novela como ésta, un completo escándalo que se cogiera flagrantemente las buenas consciencias norteamericanas como si se tratara del hígado para la cena de los Portnoy. Este fue, tal vez, el primer paso hacia el merecido estrellato de uno de los grandes escritores norteamericanos de nuestros tiempos.

En fin, aunque no fue de mis favoritas, me divirtió mucho leer esta espléndida chazerai.


NOTA SOBRE LAS TRADUCCIONES DEL LIBRO AL ESPAÑOL:
Me preguntaba el otro día el por qué casi no se lee a Roth en español (o al menos no se lee tanto como otros autores gringos). Por una parte, sus novelas son casi únicamente gringas: discuten los ideales gringos, comentan las problemáticas gringas y a la sociedad gringa. Por otro lado, tal vez es porque está pésimamente traducido al español. La primera traducción con la que me topé fue la de Adolfo Martín, para la colección del Club Bruguera. En las primeras secciones del primer capítulo, Martín incurre en errores tan garrafales como los de traducir french fries como "frituras francesas". Después conseguí la de Seix Barral, a cargo de Ramón Buenaventura, que a decir verdad incurre en menos errores pero no está exenta de meter la pata en baches más que evidentes. Si van a conseguir una edición y no pueden leer la versión inglesa, busquen la de Buenaventura.

PD: Encontré este maravilloso PDF con una comparativa del original con las dos traducciones españolas y una francesa. Aquél que se haya dado a la tarea titánica de encontrar los errores en todas las traducciones y explicarlos se ha ganado el cielo con todas las de la ley. Oy!
http://www.novelas.rodriguezalvarez.com/pdfs/Roth, Philip ''Portnoy's Complaint''-Xx-En-Sp-Sp-Fr.pdf ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
This book is unlike any I have read. Fascinating, honest, at times titillating and at times disgusting. Having had the WASP experience I found the exploration of being Jewish confusing and interesting. I think most of what he deals with is not limited to anything to do with a Jewish upbringing, perhaps more about being male or American male, than any religious or even ethnic. He does poignantly describe the anxieties of negotiating life's seemingly contrary motivations. This book will rattle in my head for some time to come! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
It's not that this book was bad so much as it was too much of the same thing over and over again. I found myself putting it down and not wanting to pick it back up because what was going to be new or different? Nothing. It's entertaining early on but then I found myself wanting dialogue or something. I needed to get another point of view because the complaining was just too much. Even after I got to that point, I found the book got worse before it got better. Women are not treated as human beings in this book and that got frustrating. The end was slightly better, but the most interesting thing I read in my copy was the Afterword to the 25th anniversary edition. Philip Roth explained a strange method he used to write all his books. It was super intriguing! ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 109 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (24 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fontcuberta i Gel, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
She was so deeply imbedded in my consciousness that for the first year of school I seemed to have believed that each of my teachers was my mother in disguise.
Quotations
Last words
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756450, Paperback)

Along with Saul Bellow's Herzog, Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint defined Jewish American literature in the 1960s. Roth's masterpiece takes place on the couch of a psychoanalyst, an appropriate jumping-off place for an insanely comical novel about the Jewish American experience. Roth has written several great books--Goodbye, Columbus and When She Was Good among them, but it is perhaps Portnoy's Complaint for which he is best known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

(see all 5 descriptions)

Philip Roth's bestselling novel, which takes the form of a monologue featuring the confession of a comic character who is thrust through life by his unappeasable sexuality, yet at the same time held back by the iron grip of his unforgettable childhood.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.62)
0.5 14
1 39
1.5 13
2 119
2.5 48
3 310
3.5 120
4 487
4.5 73
5 277

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible