Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

Portnoy's Complaint (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Philip Roth

Member:LouiseJuelJensen
Title:Portnoy's Complaint
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1994), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 289 pages
Tags:Jo nedbør

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (1969)

English (103)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (117)
I don’t propose to spend too long writing about this sordid and utterly unamusing novel – I have already wasted more than enough time reading it. The edition that I read was even more heavily strewn with critics’ encomia than usual, all of them suggesting that this is a comic masterpiece, and it seems to have played a significant part in launching Philip Roth as one of those authors striving to bring off ‘The Great American Novel’.

I wonder whether this is another case of the Emperor’s new clothes, with no one daring to rock the boat by suggesting that, rather than funny and acutely observed, it is simply a clumsy attempt to shock, which left no crass stereotype knowingly overlooked. ( )
1 vote Eyejaybee | Jul 12, 2018 |
The humor has held up well. Hilarious! ( )
  LaurelPoe | Dec 25, 2017 |
soporifero, quando non addirittura odioso!
si salva giusto qualche riflessione, specie sull'insensatezza delle religioni... per la serie "o si crede o si pensa".
ecco, appunto: pensare! ...possibilmente col cervello di sopra.
motivo per cui tutto il resto è risultato lontano dalla mia comprensione e dal mio interesse. ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
Not my cup of tea ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jul 27, 2017 |
I guess the title encapsulates the book, it is largely complaints, some memoir-style writing, and eventually there's a little bit of a twist. I found it gained and lost momentum a lot, and was a slow read compared to what I expected. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jul 8, 2017 |

Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fontcuberta i Gel, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was so deeply imbedded in my consciousness that for the first year of school I seemed to have believed that each of my teachers was my mother in disguise.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756450, Paperback)

Along with Saul Bellow's Herzog, Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint defined Jewish American literature in the 1960s. Roth's masterpiece takes place on the couch of a psychoanalyst, an appropriate jumping-off place for an insanely comical novel about the Jewish American experience. Roth has written several great books--Goodbye, Columbus and When She Was Good among them, but it is perhaps Portnoy's Complaint for which he is best known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Philip Roth's bestselling novel, which takes the form of a monologue featuring the confession of a comic character who is thrust through life by his unappeasable sexuality, yet at the same time held back by the iron grip of his unforgettable childhood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible