Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

Portnoy's Complaint (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Philip Roth

4,961None919 (3.66)148
Member:eglinton
Title:Portnoy's Complaint
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1994), Edition: international, Paperback, 289 pages

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (1969)

Recently added byJenni_Canuck, dankhaus, mhmr, ktmz, mkbird, improbable, minervois, private library, mogel
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders, Walker Percy
1001 (44) 1001 books (45) 1960s (23) 20th century (73) America (15) American (104) American fiction (31) American literature (136) classic (28) coming of age (34) family (26) fiction (751) humor (118) Jewish (96) Jews (22) Judaism (33) literature (106) masturbation (22) New York (19) novel (166) own (16) Philip Roth (22) read (58) Roman (30) Roth (23) sex (63) sexuality (39) to-read (58) unread (31) USA (48)

English (79)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (89)
Thank FSM I finished this book. Maybe I'm not smart enough. Maybe I don't do well with this particular style of literature but dear lord! It's the rambling of a madman... more or less. Consumed and obsessed by his own sexuality blaming first his mother and then his 'girlfriend' for the 'mania' that possesses him. I'll admit. The last few lines were pretty funny. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
5 stars is probably a bit over the top, to be fair, but I couldn't seem to give it less. A great depiction of how horrible most people are, without any of that nice, cozy redemption at the end. It's funny, it's accurate for men (not just for Jewish men, either), the culture of therapy and of authenticity, and it's so much better than The Human Stain that I can't quite believe they're written by the same person. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
I could have read the first ten pages, skipped the 225 or so in the middle, and then read the punchline, and I wouldn't have missed anything. Probably a lot more revolutionary back when it was published. By now, the poor Oedipal Jewish guy story has just become a cliche. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
The only reason I finished this book was because I had to read it for a course.

The story is one long complaint of a sexually frustrated man who doesn't know who he is and has problems with his jewish heritage.

The way the main character treats women is annoying and maddening, but his constant moaning very irritating. ( )
  Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
Much more obscene than Tropic of Cancer. Funny and enjoyable. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |

Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fontcuberta i Gel, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was so deeply imbedded in my consciousness that for the first year of school I seemed to have believed that each of my teachers was my mother in disguise.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756450, Paperback)

Along with Saul Bellow's Herzog, Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint defined Jewish American literature in the 1960s. Roth's masterpiece takes place on the couch of a psychoanalyst, an appropriate jumping-off place for an insanely comical novel about the Jewish American experience. Roth has written several great books--Goodbye, Columbus and When She Was Good among them, but it is perhaps Portnoy's Complaint for which he is best known.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:32 -0400)

Philip Roth's bestselling novel, which takes the form of a monologue featuring the confession of a comic character who is thrust through life by his unappeasable sexuality, yet at the same time held back by the iron grip of his unforgettable childhood.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible