Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

Portnoy's Complaint (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Philip Roth

Member:eglinton
Title:Portnoy's Complaint
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1994), Edition: international, Paperback, 289 pages

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (1969)

English (97)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  English (111)
I really hated Philip Roth's novel "Portnoy's Complaint." I really didn't care for this whiny narrator, his obsession with sex and his mommy issues. I can't find anything redeeming to say about it at all -- so I'm moving on after having read a little more than half. ( )
  amerynth | Nov 15, 2016 |
i laughed and enjoyed the read, but philip roth is a crass writer. dont get me wrong. he is a great writer, but high-minded he is not. if you are looking for humor and intelligence, this will be a good read. i enjoyed it, but hesitate to recommend it. ( )
  Yazim.Hakim | Nov 9, 2016 |
Joven judío pajillero. Muy divertido ( )
1 vote aliolica | Jun 24, 2016 |
"Naked Lunch" without the drugs, and as written by a fifteen year-old. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jun 11, 2016 |
I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I started Portnoy's Complaint. My first encounter with Roth was The Human Stain. Which I thought was really good. Portnoy is very well written-- as to be expected from Roth-- however, I couldn't really find any common ground with the characters and hence not a higher rating. Roth is a master at creating mental images with his writing. He is able to capture a characters voice and character and not just through physical descriptions. Roth paints a picture with the way characters react to situations, the way they speak within the context of various situations.
Portnoy's Complaint is sexually graphic throughout so beware anyone who may be easily offended.
I gave PC three stars because the book is put together very well; still, I wasn't crazy about the topic and a lot of the graphic exploits of Alexander Portnoy. ( )
1 vote Jazmsngr | Mar 25, 2016 |

Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fontcuberta i Gel, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was so deeply imbedded in my consciousness that for the first year of school I seemed to have believed that each of my teachers was my mother in disguise.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756450, Paperback)

Along with Saul Bellow's Herzog, Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint defined Jewish American literature in the 1960s. Roth's masterpiece takes place on the couch of a psychoanalyst, an appropriate jumping-off place for an insanely comical novel about the Jewish American experience. Roth has written several great books--Goodbye, Columbus and When She Was Good among them, but it is perhaps Portnoy's Complaint for which he is best known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Philip Roth's bestselling novel, which takes the form of a monologue featuring the confession of a comic character who is thrust through life by his unappeasable sexuality, yet at the same time held back by the iron grip of his unforgettable childhood.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible