Culinary Artistry (1996)

by Andrew Dornenburg, Karen Page (Author)

"In Culinary Artistry...Dornenburg and Page provide food and flavor pairings as a kind of steppingstone for the recipe-dependent cook...Their hope is that once you know the scales, you will be able to compose a symphony." --Molly O'Neil in The New York Times Magazine. For anyone who believes in the potential for artistry in the realm of food, Culinary Artistry is a must-read. This is the first book to examine the creative process of culinary composition as it explores the intersection of food, imagination, and taste. Through interviews with more than 30 of America's leading chefsa including Rick Bayless, Daniel Boulud, Gray Kunz, Jean-Louis Palladin, Jeremiah Tower, and Alice Watersa the authors reveal what defines "culinary artists," how and where they find their inspiration, and how they translate that vision to the plate. Through recipes and reminiscences, chefs discuss how they select and pair ingredients, and how flavors are combined into dishes, dishes into menus, and menus into bodies of work that eventually comprise their cuisines.… (more)

I generally use recipes as suggestions rather than as a road map to a finished dish. Therefore, my most oft-used cookbook is one that has something far more valuable. Culinary Artistry has, in addition to wonderful recipes, superbly useful LISTS of things that go with a named ingredient. The ingredients -- spices, fruits, vegetables, etc. -- are listed alphabetically and each has a list of all of the varying things that are used together with that ingredient. I like that it gives the classic combinations in, as I recall, boldface type, yet still lists some of the more unusual pairings as well. The lists are also great when I'm looking to pair things I already have in the house, rather than go out in search of a missing ingredient from a recipe. I have gotten more inspiration from this book than I have from any of my nearly (more than? I'm still cataloging.) 1000 cookbooks. This book is a treasure! ( )
1 vote bjcohan | May 28, 2008 |
An amazingly well-thoughtout book that I find I use more than any other reference in my culinary library -- and have for years. A true spring board rather than a road map. Open it and let your imagination loose! ( )
  dl_sfbus | Jan 30, 2008 |
A book which asks 'why' rather than tells you 'how.' A rarity in today's world. ( )
  jontseng | Jan 4, 2007 |

Andrew Dornenburgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, KarenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergin, JamesPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zane, JessicaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,807,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible