Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney

Llama Llama Misses Mama (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Anna Dewdney

Title:Llama Llama Misses Mama
Authors:Anna Dewdney
Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books, Your library
Tags:First day of school; Family

Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney (2009)

good first day of school and rhyming patterns. ( )
  mew034 | Sep 15, 2015 |
Llama Llama gets ready and Mama takes him to his first day of school. Llama llama is sad and doesn't want to play, read or eat with his friends and teacher. His teacher reminds him that Mama will come back at the end of the day. After his talk with the teacher Llama Llama plays and draws with his friends. Mama picks him up and he is super excited and decides that he loves Mama and school.

Personal reaction
I think these book are super cute and the children really enjoyed them. I feel like I could use this book with children who are new to the classroom or are going to a new classroom.

I could use this book during helping others week.
I would have parents and children make a picture collage of their family so we could hang it on the walls. (They could have a piece of home at school.) I could have children make a picture of their family and ask them what they miss this most when they are at school.
  BrittanyCanales | Mar 26, 2015 |
In my opinion, Llama Llama Misses Mama, is a great story for young audiences, however I enjoy reading the story aloud probably as much as children enjoy listening to it. The story focuses on a young, anxious llama on his first day of school apart from his Mama for the first time. Llama Llama is a relatable character to many young children who are just beginning school and may be uneasy about being away from their Mama too. It talks about strange new things and people llama encounters and how llama feels new and lonely. Change is scary and many children face this same conflict when they are introduced to new places, new people and/or new things. The llama is told “Don’t be sad, new little llama. It’s okay to miss your mama. But don’t forget when day is through, she will come right back to you.” When the teacher says this llama feels better and gives school a try, he makes some new friends and plays with new toys and ends up finding out something new: “He loves mama and school too!”
I like that the author chose to write in a melodic rhyming pattern throughout the story making it flow nicely and very engaging for young listeners. This book is ideal for reading aloud because of how well the sentences are structured to make the pace smooth and even. The vocabulary chosen for this story is playful and recognizable to young children making it easy for them to recognize, understand and soon begin imitating and reading along with you. My only complaint for this book is the wording on one of the pages. It says “would the llama like to look? Llama Llama hates that book.” Hate is a strong word for children of young ages to have in their developing vocabulary and I feel there is a better way to voice llama’s opinion instead of that word. Usually when I read this book to children I substitute the word “hate” for “doesn’t like.” Other than the strong language on that one page in the story, I really enjoy this book and I think it is very comforting and relatable to those children who struggle with being away from their parent(s)/guardians on a daily basis.
  mtrail3 | Jan 30, 2015 |
Llama llama misses mama is a wonderful book that is relatable. It is relatable because it helps children to realize that it is okay for them to miss their parents while they are in school but at the end of the day their parents will always come back for them. This is an excellent book because although it incorporates fictional components it has a realistic message that is very realistic. For example, the characters in the book are animals that are taking on human like qualities and this is fictional but, this can make the children like and connect with the characters. This is a great book to have in a classroom with little children because they may not understand the concept of going to school and then going home and it helps to convey the idea that parents will come back for them at the end of the day. In the book, Llama's day was off to a bad start but eventually, he warmed up and was able to play and enjoy his self. This lets children know that although their day might start off badly that it can eventually turn into a good day. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I would really recommend teachers to keep a copy of this book only their shelf especially in younger classes. ( )
  abenne6 | Sep 24, 2014 |
These books are good for the younger grades. They can help students recognize sound relationships and rhymes.
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
For Berol, my first to go off to school
Llama Llama, warm in bed.

Wakey, wakey, sleepyhead!

Again, I think this book is another great read for prekindergarten children. This story is very relatable and real for the preschool child, and the teacher can bring unlimited learning from Anna Dewdney’s Llama series. For example, the children can make predictions about what they think is going to happen in the story between the characters, and extend the predictions by asking how the characters will find resolutions. This book also provides an opportunity to introduce new vocabulary. The teacher can put the words up, and find ways to use the words throughout the school day, and encourage the children to use the words as well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670061980, Hardcover)

Strange new teacher.
Strange new toys.
Lots of kids and lots of noise!

What would Llama like to do?
Llama Llama feels so new . . .

It’s Llama Llama’s first day of preschool! And Llama Llama’s mama makes sure he’s ready. They meet the teachers. See the other children. Look at all the books and games. But then it’s time for Mama to leave. And suddenly Llama Llama isn’t so excited anymore. Will Mama Llama come back?

Of course she will. But before she does, the other children show Llama Llama how much fun school can be!

Activities for Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

Llama Llama experiences separation anxiety on his first day of nursery school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible