Death by Water by Kerry Greenwood

Death by Water (2005)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher Mysteries (15)

Death by Water – Kerry Greenwood
3 stars

A popular cruise company has been experiencing serious thefts aboard one of their ships. It has been established that the thief must be one of the frequently returning passengers. But which one is it? Phryne Fisher is asked to investigate. Miss Fisher and her companion Dot are feeling in need of a vacation, so they accept the case. This was a light, easy mystery with a touch of maritime disaster history to add some interest. Perfect for early summer.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This is one of the best in a top notch series. Phyrne takes to the waves for a little bit of high end detection, and what does she get? A flurry of plots, counterplots, and mayhem, of course, but as usual she copes with extraordinary aplomb. I particularly enjoyed this outing, in large part because of the ship board seven. The author vividly recreates (or at least reimagines) what it was like to be a first class passenger on a first class liner in the 1920's, and it is a very enjoyable trip indeed. ( )
  annbury | Oct 24, 2014 |
Oh, this is one of my favorite so far in the series! It was really nice to have a change of scene and the New Zealand cruise ship was a perfect choice. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
Fun book. Phyrne is undercover on a cruise ship to find a thief of stolen gems. She of course has her trusted "companion" Dot with her to help. Of course, there are a slew of suspects and a mysterious cat to help solve the case. Phyrne catches a psychotic murderer for the police too. Easy book to listen to while walking. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jan 8, 2013 |
This is definitely one of the weaker installments with the series. I got the sense early on that Greenwood was trying for a sort of Murder on the Orient Express solution, but what we ended up with managed to be anticlimactic and confusing rather than satisfyingly clever. There are also some racial issues here which go beyond a realistic evocation of the kind of racial attitudes which a group of upper class white people were likely to hold in the Australia and New Zealand of the 1920s. There are better works in the Phryne Fisher series; this one can safely be skipped. ( )
  siriaeve | Aug 3, 2012 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Revenge is a kind of wild justice; which the more man's nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out.
~ Francis Bacon, 1st Baron Verulam
"On Revenge"
This book is dedicated to my very dear and much admired Mr Witherspoon, my fourth grade teacher at Geelong Road State School, who not only believed I could read but gave me the key to the book cabinet, beginning my lifelong affair with literature. I have never had a better present. And at last I get a chance to say thank you.

With thanks to Catherine Howat's kind expertise on ships, Jean Greenwood's recall of music, Maggie Walsh's Maori wisdom, David Greagg's navigation, Dennis, Mark and Ben Pryor.

And in very loving memory of my cousin Muriel Wright, who died before she could read this. I hope she would have liked it. Missed much more than she would have believed.
Wednesday
Phryne Fisher was trying to read Chaucer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058239X, Hardcover)

The nice men at P&O are worried. A succession of jewelry thefts from the first-class passengers is hardly the best advertisement for their cruises. Especially when it is likely that a passenger is the thief.
Phryne Fisher, with her Lulu bob, green eyes, cupidas bow lips, and sense that the ends justify the means, is just the person to mingle seamlessly with the upper classes and take on a case of theft on the high seasaor at least on the S.S. Hinemoa, on a luxury cruise to New Zealand. She is carrying the Great Queen of Sapphires, the Maharani, as bait.
Shipboard romances, champagne cocktails, erotic photographers, jealous swains, Mickey Finns, jazz musicians, blackmail, and attempted murder mingle before the thieves find outaas have countless love-smitten men before themathat where the glamorous and intelligent Phryne is concerned, resistance is futile.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

The Hon. Phryne Fisher is bored with the social round and all her favourite people are out of town. So what could be more charming than a cruise on a P & O ship to New Zealand? Just Phryne and Dot, excellent meals, a few fjords, a harmless shipboard romance and perhaps a few cocktails at sunset with the dolphins leaping past? Until a young man vanishes - is it murder or suicide? Or something much, much stranger? The tarot card Two of Swords has predicted Death by Water.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible