Good Things I Wish You by Manette Ansay

Good Things I Wish You (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Manette Ansay

Member:a.m.free
Title:Good Things I Wish You
Authors:Manette Ansay
Info:Headline Review (2010), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:historical, Schumann

Good Things I Wish You by A. Manette Ansay (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, joririchardson

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
Before reading this book, I did not know anything about Clara Schumann and her (love)life, which is a pinnacle this story revolves around. The other main character is a single mother, writing a book about Clara. I think the concept of the book is good, but the characters failed to grip me. It's not a bad novel, but not one I will reread again. ( )
  SimoneA | Aug 10, 2012 |
I recently read Clara by Janice Galloway, which is another novelisation of aspects of Clara Schumann's life (mostly before marrying Schumann), which I enjoyed, but it didn't spark the same sort of emotion which this one did. I thought this beautiful and emotive and despite (or perhaps because of) the interspersed modern sections, I really felt I was getting into Clara's life... Will now have to look out for other things by this author. ( )
  katelnorth | Apr 22, 2012 |
I usually love this authoor's work but found the interspersed stories hard to follow. But as always, some beautiful writing. Could be my mood but reluctantly decided not to finish given my groaning shelves. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Apr 17, 2012 |
If you are interested in music history and a little romanc mixed together this is the book for you. This story begins with an author trying to write the histrorical relationship between Clara Shumann and Johannes Brahams and ends up living a parralell love in the process. I delightful romance, a very fast, easy read. ( )
  christi.lenz | Sep 4, 2011 |
This book was well-written and very timely. It stoked my curiosity to learn more about musical contemporaries. It also helped me, as a writer, to realize that not every story must be linear nor does it have to be wrapped up neatly at the end. Life isn't wrapped up neatly, is it?I like very much Ansay's writing style and her ability to capture the world as we live in it today. She also handled well the interior life of the story's narrator. As I was thinking about the book, I realized that I never quite pictured the narrator Jeanette in my head because I was reading her first person from the first person. At times, it felt like the story was mine. (But that's for another day.)I was a little disappointed in how the idea of deja vu was interwoven into the story, but as I finished reading it, I became less anxious that that particular thread wasn't going to come to fruition because I understood that it was just one part of the over-arching story. And, frankly, since time shifting, reincarnation and deja vu all play a part in the story I am currently writing, I was glad to see that I am, in no way, repeating any part of this story.I would recommend this story to anyone who enjoys music, discovery and well-written stories about the untidiness of life. ( )
  Lisahgolden | Jul 25, 2010 |
This book is for W.R., to whom I wish all good things.
My first date in nineteen years was nearly an hour late.

Jeanette, a recently divorced novelist, struggles to finish her book on the shared relationship between Clara Schumann, her composer husband--Robert--and Robert's protege, Johannes Brahms; but an encounter with Hart, a native from Clara's birthplace in Germany, helps Jeanette better understand translations and reopens her heart.

Battling to reassemble her life with her young daughter after a divorce, Jeanette Hochmann struggles to write a novel based on the relationship between pianist Clara Schumann and Johannes Brahms, an effort that is aided by an alluring entrepreneur from Schumann's birthplace.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,645,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible