Good Things I Wish You by Manette Ansay

Good Things I Wish You (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Manette Ansay

181965,444 (3.33)11
Member:a.m.free
Title:Good Things I Wish You
Authors:Manette Ansay
Info:Headline Review (2010), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:historical, Schumann

Good Things I Wish You by A. Manette Ansay (2009)

Recently added byjlhorres, turtlesleap, ushatten, private library, joririchardson

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Another one of those novels which draw a parallel between the experiences of the contemporary characters and the experiences of the historical characters in which they are interested; in this case, about which one of the characters is writing. I'm not fond of this literary tool. It always seems very affected to me, and far too "pat." In this case, the problem is mitigated somewhat by the fact that Clara Schumann is one of those fascinating historical characters about whom I really enjoy reading. Sadly, this book doesn't go far toward feeding that hunger for information. The "history" is necessarily speculative but is constantly apologizing for providing the reader what he/she should have expected---a work of fiction based on the life of a historical character. It's quite a muddle. ( )
  turtlesleap | Sep 9, 2014 |
Before reading this book, I did not know anything about Clara Schumann and her (love)life, which is a pinnacle this story revolves around. The other main character is a single mother, writing a book about Clara. I think the concept of the book is good, but the characters failed to grip me. It's not a bad novel, but not one I will reread again. ( )
  SimoneA | Aug 10, 2012 |
I recently read Clara by Janice Galloway, which is another novelisation of aspects of Clara Schumann's life (mostly before marrying Schumann), which I enjoyed, but it didn't spark the same sort of emotion which this one did. I thought this beautiful and emotive and despite (or perhaps because of) the interspersed modern sections, I really felt I was getting into Clara's life... Will now have to look out for other things by this author. ( )
  katelnorth | Apr 22, 2012 |
I usually love this authoor's work but found the interspersed stories hard to follow. But as always, some beautiful writing. Could be my mood but reluctantly decided not to finish given my groaning shelves. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Apr 17, 2012 |
If you are interested in music history and a little romanc mixed together this is the book for you. This story begins with an author trying to write the histrorical relationship between Clara Shumann and Johannes Brahams and ends up living a parralell love in the process. I delightful romance, a very fast, easy read. ( )
  christi.lenz | Sep 4, 2011 |
This book is for W.R., to whom I wish all good things.
My first date in nineteen years was nearly an hour late.

Jeanette, a recently divorced novelist, struggles to finish her book on the shared relationship between Clara Schumann, her composer husband--Robert--and Robert's protege, Johannes Brahms; but an encounter with Hart, a native from Clara's birthplace in Germany, helps Jeanette better understand translations and reopens her heart.

Battling to reassemble her life with her young daughter after a divorce, Jeanette Hochmann struggles to write a novel based on the relationship between pianist Clara Schumann and Johannes Brahms, an effort that is aided by an alluring entrepreneur from Schumann's birthplace.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible