The Letter (The Christmas Box Trilogy) by…

The Letter (The Christmas Box Trilogy) (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Richard Paul Evans (Author)

Member:CalicoCat
Title:The Letter (The Christmas Box Trilogy)
Authors:Richard Paul Evans (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1997), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Tags:Christmas, Inspirational

The Letter by Richard Paul Evans (1997)

A love story of David and Mary Anne Parkin - also about our pasts and our individual quests to discover who we are.
  Indiancreek | Nov 29, 2017 |
This novel of loss and healing continues the story of The Christmas Box and Timepiece. After the death of their daughter, David and MaryAnne Parkin discover a letter written by the child which helps to restore the joy to their embattled relationship. ( )
  mazda502001 | Nov 21, 2008 |
The death of the daugther, the mother leaving him when he was 7, the wife leaving him, the black man (friend) dying was too much. ( )
  saucecav | Jan 29, 2008 |
Beautiful use of the language, short and intense. a precious little book, Good for reading on a cold Sunday afternoon. Despite the psychological and dramatic approach it also includes a touch of mystery and suspense; sensitive with a touch of depth. Reading was entertaining while exploring the nature of love and relationships-husband and wife, father and daughter, and mother and son. It is a story about the tragedy of losses in a child's life and their conseguences through a life time. The novel is set during the depression years, "days of darkness, solar eclipse."
The author introduced new words to my vocabulary and induced me ointo take notes of inspiriring thoughts and reflections:
"It has been said that an author's mind is like a magician's hat - you cannot take out what has not first put in."p. 1
"For love, in its truest form, is not the thing of starry-eyed or star-crossed lovers, it is far more organic, requiring nurturing and time to fully bloom, and, as such, seen best in its wrinkled maturity."
Like all things, love too, strugles against hardship, and in the process sheds its fatuous skin and to expose one composed of more than just a storm of emotion-one of loyalty and divine friendship.Agape....
And though it may be temporaril blinded by adversity, it never gives it up, holding tight to lofty ideals that transcends this earth and time - while its counterfait simply concludes it was mistaken and quickly runs off to find the next real thing." p. 14-15
"The premonitions that we so quickly dismiss are sometimes our truest glances of reality." p. 38 ( )
  aharkavy | Dec 2, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684834723, Hardcover)

The Letter, the final episode of Richard Paul Evans's Christmas Box trilogy (The Christmas Box, Timepiece), begins in the winter of 1933. A bent and bereft hag is spotted crouching over the snowy grave of Andrea Parkin, David Parkin's three-year-old daughter who died twenty years prior. When the night watchman approaches the figure and tells her the cemetery is closed, she mysteriously disappears, leaving behind one red rose and a letter. When the child's mother comes to pay respect the following day, she finds the letter and its shocking news. Could David's mother be alive? The search for the answer sends David on a cross-country journey and into the arms of another woman. But the knowledge he gains gives him the strength to make the ultimate sacrifice for his loved ones. The dialogue is at times overly portentous, such as: "'David, what your mother is, or was, has nothing to do with who you are.' David shook his head. 'It has everything to do with who I am. Especially now. My mother's leaving is the reason I cannot forgive myself for losing my daughter.'" And one tires of Evans's three favorite words--"ardent," "gasp," and "cacophony." But fans of his sentimental journeys will want to keep their hankies handy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

A letter left on his daughter's grave sends a man searching for his mother who abandoned him in childhood. For David Parkins, it's a chance at happiness, his wife having just left him. A sentimental tale set in 1930s Salt Lake City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,411,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible