The Secret by Beverly Lewis

Very good beginning to a new series about the Amish in Lancaster, PA ( )
  lilwolfmisty | Apr 11, 2013 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries

I really do adore Beverly Lewis' writing. This book kept me wanting to read on, chapter after chapter. The Secret goes through the emotions and situations Grace and her family go through after having her mother abandon them. It also follows the story of Heather, a girl who is on her towards getting her master's, finds out she's terminally ill, and decided to spend her summer in the same Amish community as Grace. Although these stories seem unrelated at first, towards the end you can definitely tell how they will converge as The Secret of Lettie's (Grace's mother) disappearance. I'm giving this four stars instead of five because the elements of this book is quite similar to another one of Beverly Lewis' books I've read; The Heritage of Lancaster County series. The circumstances of illness, secrecy, amish love and even the overall Secret is much like those in the Lancaster series. It does have a different tinge to it, but the originality seemed lacking. Then again, this may just be the author's style. Anyway, I still definitely look forward to reading the rest in this series, as well as Beverly Lewis' other books. ( )
  Dnaej | Apr 6, 2013 |
Beverly Lewis gives us an interesting look inside the Amish community and the problems which plague one of the families in that community. Wife and mother Lettie Byler is becoming more secretive and wanders off alone at night, weeping at unknown sorrows. The day before she runs away, she warns her daughter Grace to think twice before she marries, not to marry a reticent man, because it leads to unhappiness. With her mother still missing weeks later, Grace is filled with uncertainty. Should she break off her engagement to quiet Henry? Should she try to find her mother? Does she really want to know the reasons behind her mother’s disappearance? This first installment in the Seasons of Grace trilogy illustrates that the Plain life is anything but simple, and though not fancy, it is filled with complicated, life-changing problems. Well written with engaging characters and plot twists, this audio version will captivate you with its magnificent performance. Be sure to have the second installment on hand, because you will want to start it as soon as you finish The Secret. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 22, 2012 |
I'm always excited when Beverly Lewis releases a new book. In my opinion, she's the standard for Amish fiction and I usually compare all others to her. I feel like I've learned a lot of the Amish culture through her books and I especially enjoy when she allows English culture to blend with the Amish. This book showcases the lifestyle of an Amish family who appears to have it all on the outside, but inside is secretly hurting. Grace seems to pick up that there's something not quite right with her parents, but since their culture doesn't allow for straightforward questioning, she's usually left in the dark. Heather's story was a nice interlude in between Grace and Lettie's tale. I enjoyed reading about her life especially since she was from the Williamsburg area near my hometown. I wasn't sure exactly the connection was between her and Grace and Lettie but I think I might have an inkling. While I enjoyed reading this book, I felt it was a bit predictable. About halfway through the book, I guessed what was going to happen and I was right. I enjoyed the story but I felt that it's a plot that has been done many times before and even feels like the reverse of one of Lewis's own books. I can understand the feelings that Grace's mother might have been going through but it wasn't really fair of her to leave the rest of her family in the dark. I mean they have no idea what's going on, and then she just gets up and leaves with only a note. Her family is totally confused and unaware of Lettie's past. The first half of the story seems to build up to Lettie's secret but since I guessed it halfway, it felt like a letdown. I also have a pretty big feeling I can guess as to the plot of the next book and how the story continues. I'm hoping I'm wrong, because I really dislike predictable plots. As I said before, Beverly Lewis is a favorite author of mine and I will be reading the next book. I just hope that she will prove me wrong! ( )
  mrsjason | Sep 22, 2011 |
This was my first reading of a Beverly Lewis book. I think I had read one or two other authors about the Amish. I can see that individually the book may not be much, but as part of a series, it is a good launching plot. I've already picked up the second and third books, so I'll get right into it. ( )
  eliorajoy | Nov 30, 2010 |
Honestly, I thought the worst was past.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764205714, Paperback)

In the seemingly ordinary Amish home of Grace Byler, secrets abound. Why does her mother weep in the night? Why does her father refuse to admit something is dreadfully wrong? Then, in one startling moment, everything Grace assumed she knew is shattered. Her mother's disappearance leaves Grace reeling and unable to keep her betrothal promise to her long-time beau. Left to pick up the pieces of her life, Grace questions all she has been taught about love, family, and commitment.

Heather Nelson is an English grad student, stunned by a doctor's diagnosis. Surely fate would not allow her father to lose his only daughter after the death of his wife a few years before. In denial and telling no one she is terminally ill, Heather travels to Lancaster County--the last place she and her mother had visited together. Will Heather find healing for body and spirit?

As the lives of four wounded souls begin to weave together like an Amish patchwork quilt, they each discover missing pieces of their life puzzles--and glimpse the merciful and loving hand of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:42 -0400)

In the seemingly ordinary Amish home of Grace Byler, secrets abound. Why does her mother weep and wander deep in the night? And why does her father refuse to admit something is dreadfully wrong? Then, in one startling moment, the quiet life Grace has known is irrevocably altered, leaving her to question all she has been taught about love, family, and commitment. - Back cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Secret by Beverly Lewis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible