The Secret (Seasons of Grace, Book 1)…

The Secret (Seasons of Grace, Book 1) (Volume 1) (edition 2009)

by Beverly Lewis (Author)

Member:TML-Hancock
Title:The Secret (Seasons of Grace, Book 1) (Volume 1)
Authors:Beverly Lewis (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2009), Edition: 1st, 364 pages
Collections:Adult Fiction

The Secret by Beverly Lewis

I have read Beverly Lewis books before and usually enjoy them. I would rate this one as merely okay.

I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator's voice came out sounding too little-girlish for my liking. I felt it tainted some of the story and made certain sections sound like a spoiled brat was saying them--I'm not sure that was the intent of the author.

Early on in the book, much is made of Lettie having a secret. In fact, it was hinted at so often that I wished the author would either just let us readers in on the secret so we'd know (even if the other characters didn't) or just reveal it so we could move on.

We do eventually learn Lettie's secret (or at least part of it), but there are other plot points that aren't resolved.

Will Lettie return to her family on her own? Will her daughter Grace go searching for her--and if Grace does find her, will she convince Lettie to come home? What happened to the baby? (I have a suspicion on that, but only reading further in the series will know if my suspicion is correct.) Will Heather's father build a house on the Lancaster County land he purchased? Will Heather get treatment for her illness? Will she ever get to see the holistic healer?

Just too many unanswered plot points for me to give this more than an average rating. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 13, 2018 |
In the seemingly ordinary Amish home of Grace Byler, secrets abound.

Seasons of Grace Book I
  Indiancreek | Dec 14, 2017 |
When I started this, I assumed it was historical fiction. Mention of a computer and cell phone after several chapters confused me totally, until I realised that the family who appeared to be in the 18th century were in fact in the Amish community of the US.

Unfortunately they're rather nondescript, dull people; the only interesting one is Lettie, the mother, and she has a secret which we don't discover until almost the end of the book. Her older daughter Grace is supposedly the main character, but she's not very appealing. The whole Amish culture thing is revealed as controlling and hypocritical - a far cry from the peaceful, pleasant materialism-rejecting culture I had fondly imagined.

There's a slightly more interesting subplot involving a young woman called Heather who receives a shocking medical diagnosis, and decides to try some 'alternative' therapy, including a holiday with the Amish. I would quite like to have read more of her story, but resolution is not reached - indeed, her story has barely started by the time this volume comes to an abrupt close.

And there's my worst gripe with it... far from being the first novel of a trilogy, as I had understood when I downloaded it for my Kindle (free on special offer), this is just 'part one' of story that leaves the majority of its threads wide open. Since nothing much happens in the book, other than a great deal of introspection and description of how hard it is to be Amish, I have no inclination to get hold of the other parts.

Interesting in the expose of the negative side of Amish culture, which is quite cleverly done, but overall not recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries

I really do adore Beverly Lewis' writing. This book kept me wanting to read on, chapter after chapter. The Secret goes through the emotions and situations Grace and her family go through after having her mother abandon them. It also follows the story of Heather, a girl who is on her towards getting her master's, finds out she's terminally ill, and decided to spend her summer in the same Amish community as Grace. Although these stories seem unrelated at first, towards the end you can definitely tell how they will converge as The Secret of Lettie's (Grace's mother) disappearance. I'm giving this four stars instead of five because the elements of this book is quite similar to another one of Beverly Lewis' books I've read; The Heritage of Lancaster County series. The circumstances of illness, secrecy, amish love and even the overall Secret is much like those in the Lancaster series. It does have a different tinge to it, but the originality seemed lacking. Then again, this may just be the author's style. Anyway, I still definitely look forward to reading the rest in this series, as well as Beverly Lewis' other books. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Honestly, I thought the worst was past.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764205714, Paperback)

In the seemingly ordinary Amish home of Grace Byler, secrets abound. Why does her mother weep in the night? Why does her father refuse to admit something is dreadfully wrong? Then, in one startling moment, everything Grace assumed she knew is shattered. Her mother's disappearance leaves Grace reeling and unable to keep her betrothal promise to her long-time beau. Left to pick up the pieces of her life, Grace questions all she has been taught about love, family, and commitment.

Heather Nelson is an English grad student, stunned by a doctor's diagnosis. Surely fate would not allow her father to lose his only daughter after the death of his wife a few years before. In denial and telling no one she is terminally ill, Heather travels to Lancaster County--the last place she and her mother had visited together. Will Heather find healing for body and spirit?

As the lives of four wounded souls begin to weave together like an Amish patchwork quilt, they each discover missing pieces of their life puzzles--and glimpse the merciful and loving hand of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:02 -0400)

In the seemingly ordinary Amish home of Grace Byler, secrets abound. Why does her mother weep and wander deep in the night? And why does her father refuse to admit something is dreadfully wrong? Then, in one startling moment, the quiet life Grace has known is irrevocably altered, leaving her to question all she has been taught about love, family, and commitment. - Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Lewis's book The Secret was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764205714, 0764217410

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible