The Castaways: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand

The Castaways: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Elin Hilderbrand (Author)

Greg and Tess MacAvoy are one of four prominent Nantucket couples who count each other as best friends. As pillars of their close-knit community, the MacAvoys, Kapenashes, Drakes, and Wheelers are important to their friends and neighbors, and especially to each other. But just before the beginning of another idyllic summer, Greg and Tess are killed when their boat capsizes during an anniversary sail. As the warm weather approaches and the island mourns their loss, nothing can prepare the MacAvoy's closest friends for what will be revealed.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:BCandice
Title:The Castaways: A Novel
Authors:Elin Hilderbrand (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: 1, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

Recently added byArina40, Crazymom414, bcsclibrary

English (47)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
This one gets three and a half stars as a summer read that runs just a bit too long, like a group vacation where you're tired of the company a day or two before time to go home.

That in fact is one of the sequences in this tale of four couples, each brought by circumstance or quirk to Nantucket Island, where they form a tight-knit group -- socializing together, often vacationing together, trading off child care, party planning, and bed partners in more or less random fashion.

Then a sudden tragedy leaves an unmendable breach in the group, and layers upon layers of deception and betrayal begin to unfold.

Hildebrand juggles six main voices in the tale, which eventually gets so tangled that it seems the threads can never be pulled out again. The ultimate resolution, when it comes, is about 50 pages too late, as readers will have already gotten there, eaten the hors d'oeuvres, had too many martinis, and gotten tired of waiting for the rest of the meal to arrive.

(It's also about the fifth book I've read in which the author does not have a firm grasp of the differences between rifles, shotguns, and the characteristics of their respective cartridge loads.)

However, if you're looking for a read to keep you entertained over a long lazy weekend, you could do worse. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Jul 27, 2020 |
The lives of 4 couples from start to current state told through memories and self realizations after the untimely and slighty shady passing of one (couple) of their own. With enough descriptive talent used to make one want to visit Nantucket if not move there, and enough emotion shared in the various accounts of days gone by.....it is easy to see how this author has obtained their following. Although I enjoyed the book overall....for me, in a sentence....the story was too "grown-up"; I cared about the characters and their lives, but the ending left me a little high and dry. Still, certainly a good fit for a tad longer beach read....perhaps to pull out on one of those laid back partly cloudy days of tranquility so hard to find nowadays. ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
A group of super close friends, four couples, have their lives forever changed when one of the couples dies.

The death brings about a lot of questions. Was the husband, Greg, guilty of an affair with a student? Is he capable of hurting his wife because he wanted her out of the picture?
And what about his wife Tess? Was she still in love with Greg? Was she going to leave him?

And how will their deaths impact the lives of their closest friends and relatives?

Lots of secrets being kept in this very close group of friends. They all felt like they really knew each other but practically every one of them is keeping secrets or betraying someone else in their group.

Well written. Lots of detailed characters. I always appreciate really well written characters. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
I want to be a part of The Castaways crew; Four couples who form a lifelong friendship on Nantucket Island. When one of the couples endures a tragic accident secrets begin to unfold and histories revealed as they deal with grief.
I loved every character in this book and felt personally connected to them by the end.
I was thrilled to see some of these characters return in The Perfect Couple. Hilderbrand’s ability to build so many stories in the tight knit community like nantucket keeps me coming back! ( )
  cgrizwold | Aug 22, 2018 |
Summary: Greg and Tess MacAvoy are one of four prominent Nantucket couples who count each other as best friends. As pillars of their close-knit community, the MacAvoys, Kapenashes, Drakes, and Wheelers are important to their friends and neighbors, and especially to each other. But just before the beginning of another idyllic summer, Greg and Tess are killed when their boat capsizes during an anniversary sail. As the warm weather approaches and the island mourns their loss, nothing can prepare the MacAvoy’s closest friends for what will be revealed.

Once again, Hilderbrand masterfully weaves an intense tale of love and loyalty set against the backdrop of endless summer island life. — Little, Brown & Co.

My Thoughts

This is the first book I’ve read by Elin Hilderbrand and I wasn’t sure what to expect. At first glance I thought it was going to be a train wreck. Eight main couples, two of which have died in a boating accident, seemed like a lot of characters and storylines to keep straight. Hilderbrand lets all her characters have their voice in this story and, while at first I was as confused as I feared I would be, once I got to know each character I found I was enjoying this multiple-narrator approach. The transition between characters was, for the most part, smooth and made this book into a much quicker read.

At the first the reader is presented with a mystery and it’s such a great mystery you can’t help but keep reading. The crux of this novel is how the deaths of Tess and Greg have affected them. As each narrator gives their own story, their own clues, it becomes a huge spider-web of lies, love, friendship, guilt, fear, depression, and deceit that is, quite frankly, hard to put down. Each character is searching for their own brand of redemption and healing. Their, at times, raw pain is a tangible thing and it leaves the reader hurting for them as well.

This book would make a fantastic beach read or a book club read. There is so much to absorb and discuss there that it would make for amazing discussion. So toss it in your beach bag along with your sunscreen and sunglasses, kick back and enjoy one hell of a ride.
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,500,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible