Summer House by Nancy Thayer

Summer House

by Nancy Thayer

Recently added byBonnie.Dewkett, JudithDCollins

Thirty-year-old Charlotte seems to have at last found her niche, running an organic gardening business on the island of Nantucket, thanks in large part to her spry grandmother Nona, who donated a portion of land on the family’s seaside compound to get Charlotte started. Though Charlotte’s skill with plants is bringing her success, cultivating something deeper with people—particularly her handsome neighbor Coop—might be more of a challenge. Have read all Nancy's books - great cover and summer read! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Book was enjoyable. Would be a good summer read. It really shows a lot o about the 3 generations living in this summber house in Nantucket. ( )
  Nebraska_Girl1971 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Fluffy summer read in the style of Rosamunde Pilcher. Not the best example of the genre but amusing. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
After years spent wandering from whim to whim, thirty-year-old Charlotte Wheelwright still retains her free spirited ways. Ever the dreamer, Charlotte has apparently found her niche at last. She thoroughly enjoys running an organic gardening business on the island of Nantucket, thanks in large part to her spry grandmother Nona, who donated a portion of land on the family's seaside compound to get Charlotte started. Though Charlotte's skill with plants is bringing her success, cultivating something deeper with people - particularly her handsome neighbor Coop - might present more of a challenge.

Nona's generosity to Charlotte, secretly her favorite grandchild, just doesn't sit well with the rest of the Wheelwright family, as they worry that Charlotte may be positioning herself to inherit Nona's entire estate. With the summer upon them, the entire clan is preparing to make their annual pilgrimage to the homestead - some with the hope of thwarting Charlotte's dreams, others in anticipation of Nona's latest announcements at the annual family meeting, and still others with surprising news of their own. Charlotte's mother, Helen - a Wheelwright by marriage - brings a heavy heart. She once set aside her own ambitions to fit in with the Wheelwrights, but now she must confront a betrayal that threatens both her sense of place and her sense of self.

As the summer progresses, these three women - Charlotte, Nona and Helen, come to terms with the decisions they made. Revisiting the lives and loves that have crossed their paths and reflecting on the possibilities of the roads not taken, they may just discover that what they've always sought was right in front of them all along.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, Nancy Thayer is quite the author - I loved the portrayal of the family relationships and the family dynamics featured and it was a quick read for me as well. I give this book an A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Oct 9, 2013 |
Summer House is the story of a single family that stays in Nantucket every summer. This family has so many conflicts, it drove me a little crazy.

Summer House is the second book by Nancy Thayer I have read, and I must admit, it was not my favorite.

First of all, I could not STAND Grace. She was so rude and disrespectful and tactless. Her daughters were not much better. Many times, I honestly wanted to slap them all, but the rest of the family seemed only mildly bothered by it. Additionally, many of the female characters could not stand up for themselves, which bothered me as well.

The whole summer seemed unrealistic. There were a lot of men moving in and out of the girls' lives. I find it hard to believe that even though they go to Nantucket every summer, this is the first summer that they had this happen to them.

I liked the past versus present when Ann was speaking. However, it was not done very smoothly and I found myself constantly going back and checking which time period we were in. The changes in perspective were also similar; I often had to go back and check who was speaking.

Finally, Nancy Thayer used the same adjectives and adverbs many times, and in my opinion they were used too close together. This is a more stylistic preference, but it bothered me. I felt that it made the story feel choppy and repetitive. Also, some phrases and actions were kind of cheesy and made it seem like the girls were trying too hard.

I enjoyed the last Nancy Thayer book I read, but I did not like this one very much ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | Jun 29, 2013 |
This well-wrought, appealing book will come as a pleasant surprise to those who’ve steered clear of Ms. Thayer’s “Hot Flash Club” series.

Charlotte had already picked the lettuce and set them, along with the bunches of asparagus tied with twine and the mason jars of fresh-faced pansies, out on the table in a shaded spot at the end of the drive.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345498216, Paperback)

Book Description
After years of wandering from whim to whim, thirty-year-old Charlotte Wheelwright seems to have at last found her niche. The free spirit enjoys running an organic gardening business on the island of Nantucket, thanks in large part to her spry grandmother Nona, who donated a portion of land on the family’s seaside compound to get Charlotte started. Though Charlotte’s skill with plants is bringing her success, cultivating something deeper with people—particularly her handsome neighbor Coop—might be more of a challenge.

Nona’s generosity to Charlotte, secretly her favorite grandchild, doesn’t sit well with the rest of the Wheelwright clan, however, as they worry that Charlotte may be positioning herself to inherit the entire estate. With summer upon them, everyone is making their annual pilgrimage to the homestead—some with hopes of thwarting Charlotte’s dreams, others in anticipation of Nona’s latest pronouncements at the annual family meeting, and still others with surprising news of their own. Charlotte’s mother, Helen, a Wheelwright by marriage, brings a heavy heart. She once set aside her own ambitions to fit in with the Wheelwrights, but now she must confront a betrayal that threatens both her sense of place and her sense of self.

As summer progresses, these three women—Charlotte, Nona, and Helen—come to terms with the decisions they have made. Revisiting the lives and loves that have crossed their paths and the possibilities of the roads not taken, they may just discover that what they’ve always sought was right in front of them all along.

Amazon Exclusive: Nancy Thayer on Summer House

As a child, I thought my mother was the most beautiful woman in the world. She’s 90 now, and I still think that.

I’ve kept the photo albums of her as a young woman with my father, an officer in the Army in WWII. Through the years I’ve read and reread Daddy’s letters to my mother, written to her from Germany, and Belgium, and secret places. My parents were just ordinary people, from Kansas, and yet they had a glamour that fascinated me.

I loved my family—my extended family of aunt and uncle and cousins, too, although they always seemed annoyingly perfect to me, never as messy as my own family. Yet, as I grew up, I longed to rebel, to escape from the definition of myself as part of any family. I wanted to be my own person. I wanted to make my own choices. And I made them. And believe me, I made a few mistakes.

When I was in my thirties, my parents confided a secret to my sister. Not to me, to my sister! Of course, she immediately phoned me to share the news. I was stunned. And hurt—why hadn’t my parents told me first? I was the older sister!

These events and emotions are the catalysts for Summer House, about three women in a large, close-knit family.

Charlotte is 30, rebelling against her family’s goals for her life, and privately atoning for a terrible mistake she made.

Helen, 60, has overheard a conversation that brings her agony—and a chance to understand her place in the family.

And Nona, at 90, knows the time has come to reveal the most profound secret of all.

The family gathers at Nona’s summer house on Nantucket, where the tranquil surface of the beautiful island can not hide the consequences of desire and betrayal, and also of forgiveness and love. —Nancy Thayer

(Photo © Nicole Harnishfeger, Inquirer and Mirror)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:31 -0400)

At thirty, Charlotte Wheelwright remains the dreamer she's always been. But when she begins an organic garden on a portion of her grandmother's land, Charlotte learns to plant her feet in solid ground and begins to build a new life. More often than not, ninety-year-old Nona Wheelwright contentedly spends her time reminiscing about days gone by. But with her family's annual reunion and financial meeting looming, Nona must give up her days of quiet solitude to soothe her easily riled up family. For decades Charlotte's mother, Helen, who married into the illustrious Wheelwright family, has been pressured to adhere to their way of life. But when, during the course of the family's annual summer retreat, she discovers her husband's betrayal, Helen wonders if she sacrificed her dreams for the wrong reasons.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible