The Complete Masters of the Poster: All…

The Complete "Masters of the Poster": All 256 Color Plates from "Les… (1990)

by Stanley Appelbaum

On a dull and damp day, sitting in a chair by the heating vent and looking at pretty Art Nouveau posters is an a-okay thing to do. Obviously, the optimal way to do so would be in a big, glossy, coffee-table book, with thick sheets that take both hands to turn and smooth down, but on my iPad works too. Click-click-click, pretty poster after pretty poster. I'd decorate my walls with the ones I liked best if I could.

It's Dover, so bare-bones as Dover often is. Having the translation of the posters in a completely different section than the posters themselves, rather than on the same page as the poster itself, may work better in a print book than the e-book, where one can flip with more impunity. But if you're just in it for the pretty pictures, typography, and graphic design, then really, what do the words matter?

Off to find out which ones are in the public domain for me to print off.

The Complete "Masters of the Poster" All 256 Color Plates from "Les Maitres de l'Affiche" went on sale July 20, 2016.

I received a copy free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | Oct 10, 2016 |
A delightful collection of vintage posters, always very interesting to check out. However, my digital copy was a little messed up, I could just not get it to show the entire page, so every poster bottom was cut off :( that's why it's 4 stars. But I believe this will not be a problem with the print edition, and things like this are best to savor in print anyway!

P.S. I got this on Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Just the thought of a poster subscription series makes me wonder why no one does this today. At the turn of the previous century, with Art Nouveau in full bloom, Victorian still prominent, and Art Deco hinted as the future, posters blossomed. They were most decidedly worth receiving in the mail – four a month, for a full series of 240. Mucha, Toulouse-Lautrec, Grasset and countless others, made their living in advertising.

And here they are, in order, numbered, with stats about the artists, and an overview. The artists were breaking out of the stifling Victorian mould. They were no longer restricted to geometric frameworks. Their subjects could be facing away, playing with the text, woven into the title, or have nothing whatever to do with the product being advertised. The artists made up new fonts like there was no tomorrow. For centuries, there had been only a handful of fonts outside the decorous initial letters of religious text chapters. Here, now, for all to see, was open competition to attract the eye of the passer-by. And in as ultra-modern a fashion as possible.

It was an exuberant era, beautifully assembled in this Dover collection for all to see in outsized pages.

David Wineberg ( )
  DavidWineberg | Aug 19, 2016 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

The most famous artistic compilation ever made of the great age of the poster, featuring works by nearly 100 artists, among them Cheret, Toulouse-Lautrec, Bonnard, Mucha, Beardsley, Parrish, Grasset, Penfield, Steinlen, many more. Full color, large format, one poster per page, extensive documentation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,346,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible