dismiss

Böses Blut. Kriminalroman. 6 CDs by…

Böses Blut. Kriminalroman. 6 CDs (original 1998; edition 2006)

by Arne Dahl, Jan Arnald, Arne Dahl (Author), Jan Arnald (Author), Till Hagen (Sprecher)

When a Swedish literary critic is found tortured to death in a closet at Newark International Airport, the police realize that the murderer made off with the victim's ticket and boarded a flight to Stockholm. With no clear motive in sight, Detectives Paul Hjelm and Kerstin Holm of Intercrime's A-Unit learn that the method of torture used was not only a highly specialized means of extracting information secretly developed during the Vietnam War-- allowing the victim to whisper, but not to scream-- but also that it was the modus operandi of an allegedly deceased homicidal maniac known only as the Kentucky Killer.… (more)
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Böses Blut. Kriminalroman. 6 CDs
Authors:Arne Dahl
Other authors:Jan Arnald, Arne Dahl (Author), Jan Arnald (Author), Till Hagen (Sprecher)
Info:Steinbach Sprechende Bücher (2006), Edition: 1, Audio CD

Bad Blood by Arne Dahl (1998)

English (11)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (16)
x ( )
  terran | Oct 9, 2018 |
I came to both this book and the first in the series via a brief but favourable review in a British culture magazine from a few years back. I had seen some episodes of the the Arne Dahl TV series but they didn't quite provoke enough interest to send me to the books they were adapted from.

Both books have an offbeat and witty style to counter the darker subject matter, and had enough momentum in the story to propel me towards the end with interest very much intact.

It reinforces my personal prejudice against plot summaries and genre classifications in reviews. Those could have sent me headed in the opposite direction fast, and I wouldn't have read either book.
  ten_floors_up | Feb 14, 2016 |
Starts well, slows down badly for a while but then picks up well for the last half. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is a thrilling Swedish crime novel, the second in a series featuring the same team of investigators. At the same time as it documents the hunt to trace a serial killer who moves from America to Sweden, it explores the differences between the two cultures and a fear of Sweden being drawn deeper into global affairs that may adversely affect the relaxed and liberal ideals of the country.
Although translated into English in 2013, the book was first published in Swedish in 1998, thus some of the investigation techniques already seem dated, for instance, there is no use of security camera recordings at airports or banks, which would be a prime source of evidence now. Nonetheless, it is an exciting read.
  camharlow2 | Jun 8, 2015 |
The second available in translation from what is now a ten book series in the original Swedish, BAD BLOOD sees Sweden’s team of elite police investigators (Team A) on the trail of a vicious killer. The first victim is a Swedish literary critic whose hellishly tortured body is discovered at an American airport and it becomes apparent that after carrying out the murder the killer hopped on a plane to Sweden. Despite the advance warning they receive, police miss catching him on arrival, in the first of what becomes a long list of increasingly implausible plot devices, thereby leaving him free to go on a killing spree in Sweden. They soon learn they are on the lookout for a particularly nasty American serial murderer known as the Kentucky Killer, thought to have been dormant since his 18-body killing spree a couple of decades earlier.

BAD BLOOD was originally published in 1998 and I tried hard to remember that perhaps crazed serial killers weren’t quite as overdone then as I feel they are now. Though I’m not convinced I’d ever have bought into the premise of this particular story with its torture-crazy, cross-continent, multi-generational killer(s). Even though there is ultimately some kind of rationalisation here I still found the level of clichés and preposterous plot devices just too high for me.

There is some social commentary in the form of the now ubiquitous nods to the changes in Swedish social makeup and behaviour but more dominant themes included the unwanted the incursion of American culture into Swedish society and the book’s eponymous subject. I had been keeping a count of how many times variations of the phrase “bad blood wins out in the end” were repeated but I lost my post-it note with the tally. I’m pretty sure we’d made it to double figures and the book wasn’t yet finished. My take away messages were that America is bad and you can’t fight genetics.

I’m afraid the characters didn’t do much for me either. The first victim is so thoroughly unlikable that it was hard to care who’d killed him or why, even his own family didn’t give a toss so readers can hardly be blamed for not caring about him. Dahl uses a team of investigators to propel the investigative component of the story rather than focusing on one or two leads and while I know some writers can make this work I don’t really feel that Dahl has done so here. To me they are basically a collection of fairly indistinguishable angst-ridden, middle-aged men. Plus a token female.

So for me BAD BLOOD was the write-by-numbers thriller of the kind that people who don’t read crime fiction think makes up the entire genre. An unspeakably evil person does unspeakably horrid things while basically good people try to stop him but they fail for a while because otherwise there wouldn’t be a story. There’s not really much of substance and the only genuinely original angle was the particularly gruesome torture method used by Dahl’s killer which didn’t really add anything to my enjoyment level. It’s basically a ‘meh’ on my personal scale.
  bsquaredinoz | Apr 5, 2014 |

Arne Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koski, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willson-Broyles, RachelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wortloser Schmerz, dachte er.
Handlungsbezogen ist Misterioso der erste Fall der A-Gruppe, Nach Erscheinungsdatum wäre Böses Blut der erste Fall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,651,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible