Lost for Words by Elizabeth Lutzeier

Lost for Words

by Elizabeth Lutzeier

111820,536 (4)None

Very detailed account of a young girl's move to England from Bangladesh. In the novel, the main character, Aysha, struggles to learn English, adjust to a new culture and country and relate to her formerly absent father. Aysha's character is well developed, but her father and mother are less so. But perhaps the author intended to keep it this way to stay true to how little Aysha knows and relates to her parents.She comes to live in England, where everyone treats her like an idiot because she cannot speak English. They do not realise that she is clever and determined.
This book really hooked me because I felt part of Aysha. When things went wrong for her, it upset me as well. When I had finished the book I felt glad that Aysha had become respected and popular. I was moved by the part where she sticks up for another new girl from Bangladesh.
I understood more about how children from other countries might feel when they come to England, and also about people who find it hard to communicate.
The places the Begum family lived in are well described, and the characters are full of life and colour. The dialogue is realistic, and the story flows well.
I enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to girls age 10 and over who like stories about people's lives. It has a good title, but the cover is not very bold so it might not stand out in a bookshop.

My comment to somone who read the same book as me:-
As readers of the same novel we both might agree that this book expresses a child's deep feelings about the relationship between her and her grandpa, her village, her cousins and all relating her hometown Jamdahar, Bangladesh. The story can have an impact on oneself probably an encouraging note. Aysha struggles to learn English, adjust to a new culture and country and relate to her formerly absent father. Aysha's character is well developed and self disciplined It gives us all a picture of the problems face d by children living in this country (London) where English is not their first language. As readers we are shocked at the way Aysha was branded as having 'no language' and therefore put in the bottom group when, in fact, she was very intelligent. In my opinion you can’t buy respect neither you are not born with it you earn your respect through self discipline and willingness to achieve and this rebirths hope and develops a strong character, i believe after we read this book we gained confidence and learned to always approach thing with a positive manner no mater and never give up despite your age and that's what drove Aysha to her sucess. ( )
  Batatahead | May 26, 2014 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible