The Dark Behind the Curtain by Gillian Cross

The Dark Behind the Curtain

by Gillian Cross

I read this when I was a lot younger and my memory of it is that it was a wonderful tense and slightly scary tale that had me thinking about the book for a long time to come.

There is some historical information here which is always educational - but ultimately it was a delicious and chilling tale, mixed with some themes of trust and friendship.

When I think back to my favourite books ever, this is one of them.

Maybe if I re-read it now I would not think so. These days maybe I am less easily excited by a ghost story. But for young adult readers and older children, this is a very good book. ( )
1 vote sirfurboy | Jul 22, 2009 |

It started as a school play - but it became something far more sinister and deadly. What was the origin of the evil beginning to haunt the actors? Gillian Cross has won the Carnegie Medal, the Smarties Prize and the Whitbread Children's Novel Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:52 -0400)

When Colin is forced into being in the school play he is at first angry, but gradually begins to realize it is not just a play. The sinister old story they are acting out has its roots in real cruelty and despair, and from somewhere in the past the ghost of that misery is returning to haunt the actors.… (more)

5 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible